What's new

Middle Eastern Christians Flee Violence for Ancient Homeland of Orthodoxy

Thank you brother! This is what every Syrian needs now, prayers and support.

Thank you, brother. I have read the 99 names of the Almighty, and one name that i always love is 'Al-Wadud'. THE LOVING. Yes, Allah SWT, or as we Christians call him Father God , He Is Love....

Thank you for your thanks. I have the Lord to answer to on the day of rekoning. I pray that the little I do helps when he asks me what I did when his people suffered.

For those who are going off-topic, a final plea please before posts start getting deleted.

If it does not relate to aid, rehabilitation, or challenges faced by the our Sham cousins, then it should not be discussed here.

The current mess in Syria, Iraq, etc. was crated by the West, Russia, Arabs, Iranians, and a bunch of outside players.

No one's hands are clean and, as usual, the people suffering are the locals.
Yes this war is a mess, but when we compare Syria in 2010 and now, you can see the difference for sure... The best way to end this war is for the world to wake up and end it's support to terrorists in Syria and people can return home and peace shall he restored

I don't know that's why I asked another person.

The Jizya was a tax (the only tax) that the State levied on Non Muslims to bind the 'State' and the 'Non Muslims' in a contractual agreement with each other. What this agreement guaranteed were the following things:

(i) Complete internal autonomy for the Non Muslim community to administer their lands freely

(ii) Complete legal autonomy for the Non Muslim community to deal with their issues as per their own laws

(iii) Guarantee of the protection of Life and Property with the failure to do so resulting in the Jizya being returned to the Non Muslims

(iv) the amount of the Jizya being less than the amount of the Zakat which every Muslim has to pay to the Treasury

(v) No Jizya to be taken from those who cannot pay (e.g the old, the children, the poor etc.)

(vi) Non Muslims are not required to serve in the Army while Muslims can and at times were drafted

This was best exemplified by the agreement between Abu Ubaidah bin Jarrah - the Commander of the Muslim Army at the Conquest of Damascus - and the Arab Christian Tribe Bani Ghassan.

Frankly I don't quite see what could be so utterly unacceptable about the above ? Complete Autonomy (legal and administrative), you contribute towards the upkeep of the Army, you pay less than what the Muslims are paying, if the State can't protect you they give you back the full amount, you can't be drafted into the Army and if you're not affording you don't pay.

Has it been misused in the past ? Of course....which thing hasn't ?

Now that said; the Jizya is not present in any of the Muslim Countries today and hasn't been for a long...long time because now the Army is a completely volunteer institution or its conscription for all, a new social contract exists between the Citizen and the State which makes Taxation the same for all and the State does not allow for a parallel justice or administrative system to exist within a State.

Just to show once again the incredible hypocrisy of some of the members in here or muslims in the world ,we can clearly see that the Uighurs are faring far worse than the Palestinians but barely do they get support,in here (PDF) or in the real world.How can someone take these pro Palestinian wannabees serious in light of such events ?

Christians being targeted by armed Islamist gangs - Fides News Agency

Ultimatum to Christians: "Leave Qusayr" - Fides News Agency
Thank God peace was restored to Qusayr but there churches there were looted and destroyed by the F$A terrorists, now Syrians are rebuilding the city.

Christians Flee from Radical Rebels in Syria - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Fr. Basil Nassar of the Antiochean Orthodox diocese of Epiphany was shot down by bandits on January 26 at the town of Ham while giving aid to the wounded.
Another attack on Christians in Syria | The Russian Orthodox Church

Christians refused to take arms at the beginning but the killings and persecutions against Christians by F$A terrorists led to this

Christians taking up fight in Syria - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I will keep updating the thread with articles, reports and news, in order to spread awareness of what is going in Syria and Iraq and the res of the region..
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

@Nihonjin1051 I highly suggest you watch this video...

A nun who has been superior at a Syrian monastery for the past 18 years has warned that media coverage of ongoing violence in that country has been “partial and untrue”. It is “a fake”, Mother Agnes Mariam said, which “hides atrocities committed in the name of liberty and democracy”.

Superior of the Melkite Greek Catholic monastery of St James the Mutilated in Qara, in Syria’s diocese of Homs, which is in full communion with Rome, she left Ireland yesterday after a three-day visit during which she met representatives of the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference in Maynooth.

She told The Irish Times she was in Ireland “not to advocate for the (Assad) regime but for the facts”. Most news reports from Syria were “forged, with only one side emphasised”, she said. This also applied to the UN, whose reports were “one-sided and not worthy of that organisation”.

Christians Massacred by ‘Free’ Syrian Army Terrorists (Rebels) | OrthodoxNet.com Blog

One of the most oldest Christian peoples being uprooted.:(

It's sad for me, because it was these people from the ME who spread Orthodox Christianity to Southern parts of India a long time ago.

Isis in Syria: In the shadow of death, a few thousand Christians remain to defy militants
Just 15 miles from the frontline of Isis, which persecutes their faith, the Christians of Qamishli gathered in the Church of the Holy Virgin for the wedding of Malek Aissa and Ilana Hacho.

The bride was a priest’s sister, the bridegroom a computer engineer, and they were greeted by ululations and the ancient choruses of the Syriac church, sung by a choir of young women dressed all in white and a row of clerics in pink, gold, scarlet and black robes. If you needed to be reminded that Christianity was an Eastern – not a Western – religion, Malek and Ilana’s wedding was proof enough. There were a multitude of blessings, a host of blazing candles, and more ululating between prayers.

But the church was only half full and the empty pews told a tragic tale. For of Qamishli’s Christian population of almost 8,000 souls, only 5,000 remain – and many of them are talking of leaving. Isis has seen to that.

The destruction and the killing of Christians around Mosul earlier this year was the moment of panic, and even the main road south from Qamishli to Hassake is dangerous. The city, isolated in the far north-east of Syria, has a cordon of army regiments and local militias to defend it, and the land to the east is held by armed Syrian Kurds. But the Turkish border is closed, and the rest of the land around the city is held by Isis and its fellow Islamists.

This exodus of Christians from the Middle East – as they themselves attest – only began after the Anglo-American invasion of Iraq, whose architects, as we all know, are born-again Christians.

“When the Christians had to flee Mosul and the valley of Ninevah, the Christians here thought that what happened in Iraq would happen here in Qamishli,” said Fr Saliba after participating in the night-time wedding service. “Isis did many things during this period to frighten us, so our people are migrating. Of course, as a church we don’t want anyone to migrate. But what can we do?” Fr Saliba has already lost almost half of his own parish.

The groom’s parents invited me to their wedding party, but it was the priests I needed to talk to, seated in their meeting room, robes discarded in favour of cassocks of pitch black which somehow suited their mood. They all condemned Isis and several claimed – as many Syrian government supporters often suggest – that the “Islamic State” is an American “product”, intended to break up the countries of the Middle East.

I am not sure that all these priests actually represent their people, not least because some of those who have fled have sought exile in the safety of the United States. “We do not believe Isis represents Islam,” Fr Saliba said. “We have had a tolerant society in Syria and we have treated each other as equals for 1,400 years. The project of dividing our countries is to establish weak countries in their place which will be unable to defend themselves. We all know this was funded by the Gulf States.”

There were several comparisons drawn between the Armenian genocide of 1915 and the plight of today’s Christians, and a sharp reminder of the tens of thousands of Syriac Christians who were also victims of the Turkish slaughter during the First World War.

Among the priests sat Fr Gabriel, his eyes rimmed with tiredness, his face dark, sick ever since he fled his Syriac church in Deir ez-Zour on 29 July 2012. “Nusra totally destroyed our church there and all our houses,” he said. “We thought we would be able to return in about 15 days…” Which is what many Palestinians thought when they fled their country in 1948.

Another priest spoke loudly of his own anger. “This loss of Christians is a very negative thing. The countries which encourage them to leave do not have their best interests at heart. They want to dissolve them in their societies. The Orient is a mosaic of different peoples and the West does not like this. If the West really wants to help us, they should help us to stay here and live in dignity. But as long as there is a crisis, our people want to leave.”

And what would Christ have said if he had witnessed this exodus and the threat represented by Isis? Quick as a shot, Fr Saliba replied. “He would have said ‘forgive them for they know not what they do’.” Another priest interrupted. “Christ would have wept as he wept for Jerusalem.”

In central Syria, these clergymen estimate that as many as 80 Christian Syriacs have been murdered, and a far larger number were killed serving in the Syrian government army. The Armenians, whose broken bones can still be found in the fields around Qamishli haunted us all again.

Fr Saliba reminded his colleagues that at the time of the genocide, the Armenian dead represented more than twice the population of Syriac Christians at that time. And then he returned to his own flock.

“The West is not receiving us because they are Christian countries. They are secular countries. They want to destroy the Christian community here because they know that the Syriacs have deep roots here. In a couple of generations, the Syriacs in the European communities will have disappeared.

“After Mosul, France said: ‘We will take the Christians in’, but we believe we should live here. Even now, when we are trying to get our message out and, despite the media, we are not able to get the word across. Now Isis tries to destroy us so we will have no place in this country. We knew early on that this project was an existential challenge to our presence in the Middle East.”

The Syriac church has deep roots in Qamishli. Half the bishops in its synod come from here and they recall that Bashar al-Assad, when he met the synod in Damascus, told them that “Syria is your homeland, wherever you may be”. But Assad cannot stop this flight of Christians any more than he could protect large areas of eastern Syria.

“We gave Syria our name,” one of the priests said. “This is part of our heritage.” If only the men who went to war in Iraq could hear that.

Isis in Syria: In the shadow of death, a few thousand Christians remain to defy militants - Middle East - World - The Independent
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
@Nihonjin1051 what do you think of this part...

And what would Christ have said if he had witnessed this exodus and the threat represented by Isis? Quick as a shot, Fr Saliba replied. “He would have said ‘forgive them for they know not what they do’.”

for us humans today, forgiveness is tough... do you think many people will forgive? I talked/took part of a "debate" among my church members, the elders said we need to forgive, if we don't forgive them, we will never move on... however the youth had a total different perspective, they were into "aggressive" mode.. some said our "weakness" is allowing them to kill us and steal our land.. and we see this on ground, many Syrian Christian towns took arms, but they only stayed in defensive mode to protect their towns and homes ( the cnn report in post #171), your opinion on this topic ( the perspective that I want you to think of, is that your town is being targeted and your churches are being destroyed by terrorists)......

One of the most oldest Christian peoples being uprooted.:(

It's sad for me, because it was these people from the ME who spread Orthodox Christianity to Southern parts of India a long time ago.

Christian Orthodoxy is also the oldest form of Christian Theology and Tradition. Roman Catholicism and Christian Orthodoxy are very similar, but if we study history, prior to the Great Schism of the 10th century CE, there was no difference in liturgy and doctrine between them. Christian Orthodoxy, claims its roots in what is now Syria. It is over 2,000 years old.

@Nihonjin1051 what do you think of this part...

And what would Christ have said if he had witnessed this exodus and the threat represented by Isis? Quick as a shot, Fr Saliba replied. “He would have said ‘forgive them for they know not what they do’.”

for us humans today, forgiveness is tough... do you think many people will forgive? I talked/took part of a "debate" among my church members, the elders said we need to forgive, if we don't forgive them, we will never move on... however the youth had a total different perspective, they were into "aggressive" mode.. some said our "weakness" is allowing them to kill us and steal our land.. and we see this on ground, many Syrian Christian towns took arms, but they only stayed in defensive mode to protect their towns and homes ( the cnn report in post #171), your opinion on this topic ( the perspective that I want you to think of, is that your town is being targeted and your churches are being destroyed by terrorists)......

Brother,

We had a similar sermon this weekend and my priest engaged in a very discerning dialogue. He mentioned to us the trials of the Early Church. During the infancy of Christianity, you know, the early Church was persecuted by the Jews and even the Romans -- many of whom sent droves into the Colosseum and games and thousands watched the systematic deaths of Christians with much fanfare. My priest mentioned the name of one of the great Saints of the Church, ... St. Polycarp, who was the Bishop of Smyrna (present day Izmir, Turkey). The story goes --- Bishop Polycarp was sentenced to die by burning , with his last breath, he asked God to forgive the Romans who condemned him to death.

That, my Brother, is what true Christianity is about. Forgiveness of those who would seek to destroy us. We sometimes get affixed on worldly affairs that we forget that this world is not our goal. They may kill our bodies, Brother, but they cannot kill what is eternal. And that is our soul.

So I agree with your Church leaders. I say forgive, tho i must admit that even the most grace-filled of us may sometimes err and wish justice and revenge. This is only human nature. But we must rise above this...

Peace.

Christian Orthodoxy is also the oldest form of Christian Theology and Tradition. Roman Catholicism and Christian Orthodoxy are very similar, but if we study history, prior to the Great Schism of the 10th century CE, there was no difference in liturgy and doctrine between them. Christian Orthodoxy, claims its roots in what is now Syria. It is over 2,000 years old.

Yes I know. My family back ground is Orthodox/Nasrani. In my ancestral parts of India. Judaism, Christianity(Orthodox), Islam came very early due to the long existing trade between Kerala and ME peoples. Orthodox Christianity started in Kerala due to missionary works from Middle Eastern people like Syrians a long time ago.

Saint Thomas Christians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom