What's new

Militants capture Kalam in Swat Valley

Most of your post is utopian and maybe right that in olden days religions co-existed. Since I have not seen it first handed I cannot agree or disagree. While doing business with a Shariah state will never be a problem, however Saudi A is the worst example of Shariah rule. It is not only extreme in its view points of human rights nor does it care two hoots about minorities who work there, why even fellow muslims from other countries are treated like dirt.

Regards

Utopia is something without precedence. It is something that you aspire to but may never achieve. Sharia on the other hand is nothing like this. It is precedented over a period of 12 centuries. Was it perfect? No, but neither is democracy or anything else. Its all a matter of implementation. If its done right then people appreciate it, if its not then its critiqued.

KSA example was just to make a point that Sharia enforcing states can and do co-exist with others. As far as Saudi human rights are concerned, if you look at the annual US dept of State report, it usually criticizes the Saudis for stuff that they do to keep the Monarchy in place (putting down political dissent) or cultural stuff (Saudis treating all others except Europeans and Americans like crap). Death sentences are another aspect. I totally believe in it as do very many other Americans so while one is free to criticize this as an infringement on human rights, there are two sides to this story.

So lets not mix up the political, social situation in KSA with the purely Sharia issue. Each has to be looked at its own merit.

Death sentences are another aspect. I totally believe in it as do very many other Americans so while one is free to criticize this as an infringement on human rights, there are two sides to this story.

So lets not mix up the political, social situation in KSA with the purely Sharia issue. Each has to be looked at its own merit.

Dear Blain,

Has shariah allowed Saudi to evolve into a perfect state ? They have everything including oil, mecca & madina, no enemies worth mentioning as neighbours etc but still they at the end wish to be subserviant to the USA and bent some of the Shariah rules for US army bases not for muslims or others from other countries. The more important point is that compared to them Pakistan has so many other internal and external problems which makes them dependant on the external world, so how is Shariah in the SWAT going to solve Pakistan's present problems ?

Regards

Utopia is something without precedence.

I'd consider Scandinavian countries and Switzerland, along with Japan as close to Utopia as it is possible to get!! New Zealand and Australia aren't half bad either!!

I'd consider Scandinavian countries and Switzerland, along with Japan as close to Utopia as it is possible to get!! New Zealand and Australia aren't half bad either!!

Dear SA,

You will be suprised to know that New Zealand beats even the Swiss and Scandanavia when it comes to least corruption, better quality of life and health and welfare facilities.

It is really utopia but takes 26 hours to get there from here.

Regards

Militants occupy more installations

By Our Correspondent

SWAT, Nov 8: Armed militants captured more government installations in Swat on Thursday and announced a punishment of 15 lashes for anyone not offering prayers in Matta tehsil.

Sources said the militants took over a police post on the Shangla hills, some 35km north of Mingora.

In Charbagh, Maulana Fazlullah’s supporters took over the Pakistan-Austria Training Institute for Hotel Management. The centre was established with the financial assistance of Austria in 2003 at a cost Rs150 million. It is the only training facility in the country for hotel management and tourism in the private sector.

In Khwazakhel area, militants set on fire the police station.

A tense calm prevailed with military helicopters hovering over the area. Security forces were consolidating their positions in and around Mingora amid reports that an operation was likely.

A handout issued in Peshawar said the overall situation in Swat was under control and no untoward incident had been reported over ‘the past 48 hours’. Paramilitary forces were on high alert and educational institutions remained open.
Militants occupy more installations -DAWN - Top Stories; November 09, 2007

Without meaning offence to anyone, Armitage had said that the US will send Pakistan back to the Stone Age!

US or Armitage does not have to even lift a finger.

The fundamentalists are hand in glove with all those who wish to send Pakistan back into history and abject economic despair!

I am struck with wonderment that people still dot the world's horizon who are so demented and backward!

Dear Blain,

Has shariah allowed Saudi to evolve into a perfect state ? They have everything including oil, mecca & madina, no enemies worth mentioning as neighbours etc but still they at the end wish to be subserviant to the USA and bent some of the Shariah rules for US army bases not for muslims or others from other countries. The more important point is that compared to them Pakistan has so many other internal and external problems which makes them dependant on the external world, so how is Shariah in the SWAT going to solve Pakistan's present problems ?

Regards
KSA is not Shariah. It's Mullaharcy. We don't have a Shariah state.

KSA is not Shariah. It's Mullaharcy. We don't have a Shariah state.

Well what's going to stop Swat from degenerating into "mullahcracy" as you put it once sharia is implemented there (as some members are advocating)? After all even Iran claims to follow sharia but is nothing more than "mullahcracy" itself as is KSA.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't Sharia law also dependent on mullahs too?

Also, can the members here name a successful and modern sharia state that can be discussed for pros and cons?

KSA example was just to make a point that Sharia enforcing states can and do co-exist with others.

Dear Blain,

Please see how KSA treat fellow muslims. Do you mean to say he was smuggling it for himself and KSA citizens were not involved if he was guilty in the first place. i doubt they would do this to an US citizen.

Regards

Pakistani beheaded -DAWN - Top Stories; November 09, 2007

Pakistani beheaded

RIYADH, Nov 8: A Pakistani convicted of trafficking heroin into Saudi Arabia was beheaded by the sword on Thursday, the interior ministry announced.

Bahrour Khan was found guilty of smuggling several packages of heroin in his stomach, said a ministry statement carried by the official SPA news agency.—AFP

Pakistan evacuates 300 Chinese working on hydropower projects in northwest PESHAWAR, Pakistan, Nov 9 (AP): Authorities evacuated about 300 Chinese engineers working on three separate hydropower projects near militant strongholds in northwestern Pakistan, police said Friday. The Chinese, most of them engineers, were taken to Islamabad Thursday for ''security reasons,'' said Ataullah Wazir, a senior police official. Wazir did not say if there were any specific threats against the Chinese, but the region where they were working has seen several recent clashes between security forces and pro-Taliban militants. (Posted @ 13:45 PST)

ABC News: Exclusive: Inside Pakistan's Swat Valley

I was reading Exclusive: Inside Pakistan's Swat Valley
ABC News Has Rare Access to Taliban Region of Pakistan by MARTHA RADDATZ today and below that were news alerts from Yahoo but all from India with the below news by Rezaul Lashkar. Is he a Pakistani journo and has he just re-cycled old news ? As per Dawn the militants withdrew because they did not get any local support.

Regards

Friday November 9, 02:07 PM
Rezaul H Laskar

Islamabad, Nov 9 (PTI) Two hundred paramilitary personnel have surrendered to pro-Taliban militants in the troubled Swat valley, in a major embarrassment to Pakistan government which has been pushed on the backfoot in its operation to root out extremists from the northwestern tribal areas. The 200 men of the Frontier Corps surrendered to militants led by radical cleric Maulana Fazlullah last night after their camp in the Matta area was surrounded by the extremists who are demanding imposition of strict islamic law or Shariat and have strengthened their hold on the region by driving out most security forces. The security personnel handed over their weapons to the militants and did not put up any resistance, Dawn News channel reported. There was no official word on the surrender, but a militant spokesman said the personnel were being taken to Imamdheri, the stronghold of Fazlullah, known as "Mullah Radio" for his sermons broadcast from an illegal FM station. There are almost no security forces in upper Swat, where most security posts and police stations are now held by the militants. The rebels control six tehsils or sub-districts or almost 80 per cent of the scenic Swat valley, till recently a popular tourist destination. Police and paramilitary forces have "surrendered" to the militants in key towns like Matta, Khwazakhela and Madyan. The militants have replaced Pakistani flags over police stations and other government buildings with their own flags bearing inscriptions from the Quran.

^^^ I haven't heard anything about 200 (unless that is referring to the total number of FC who have surrendered during the SWAT conflict. The highest number was sixty yesterday, when a town was surrounded. The Dawn and The News websites have no word of this 200 yet.

^^^ I haven't heard anything about 200 (unless that is referring to the total number of FC who have surrendered during the SWAT conflict. The highest number was sixty yesterday, when a town was surrounded. The Dawn and The News websites have no word of this 200 yet.

The report says last night and is dated 09 Nov 2007. So that makes the surrender on 08 Nov 2007 in Matta area. Do you know how reliable the author is ?

Regards

The report says last night and is dated 09 Nov 2007. So that makes the surrender on 08 Nov 2007 in Matta area. Do you know how reliable the author is ?

Regards

Apparently he is a PTI staff correspondent. Most of what he said seems to be correct, though he has generalized a bit - the flag raising etc. just happened a couple of days ago in one town, and the numbers seem to be off, but that might be validated in the next couple of hours.

There doesn't seem to be too much panic amongst officials about this takeover. Perhaps they are trying to consolidate and retreat to positions from where they don't have all these little check posts just waiting to be overrun, plus the extra time allows for civilians to evacuate, which a lot have already done.

The statement I posted from the NWFP home secretary indicated that Jirgas's were still trying to defuse the situation, and they wanted to allow that process to run its course. It could also be a move to remind the West of the seriousness of the threat that needs tackling with "emergency measures". I think its all of the above.

ABC News: Exclusive: Inside Pakistan's Swat Valley

I was reading Exclusive: Inside Pakistan's Swat Valley
ABC News Has Rare Access to Taliban Region of Pakistan by MARTHA RADDATZ today and below that were news alerts from Yahoo but all from India with the below news by Rezaul Lashkar. Is he a Pakistani journo and has he just re-cycled old news ? As per Dawn the militants withdrew because they did not get any local support.

Regards

Rezaul H Laskar

Islamabad, Nov 9 (PTI)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My dear the word Press Turst of INDIA explain it all.

PTI has no such correspondent by the name of this Rezaul H Laskar In Pakistan what to say in NWFP and that too in SWAT. And i tell you there is no Pakistani Journalist by this name.

The bhin bhin media always claims false things.

As per Dawn the militants withdrew because they did not get any local support.

Thank GOD someone realise that Dawn had run this news that militants did not find any local support and left the areas which the International bhin bhin media was claiming to be captured by them.

Back
Top Bottom