What's new

Modernizing Pakistani air defenses

solid snake

Reaction score
So I sat down this afternoon and decided to wrap my head around the whole Pakistani air defense issue in light of the FC-1 purchase.

The issue as I see it is that the Pakistani Air Forces (and I am including their SAM network as part of the air forces, I don't think they all report to the PAF but it makes it simpler for the sake of talking about the overall air defense picture) currently lack a robust air defense capability.

Now, we're not talking about pilot skill, PAF vs. IAF inventories, or anything of that nature here. What I mean by that statement is that the current PAF lacks a serious long-range air defense network. Pakistan does possess a number of EW radar systems from various sources, and their EW picture is, for the most part, adequate. There is a concern that the radar picture could be muddled in some areas due to the uneven terrain found throughout the nation, but this can easily be rectified by employing an AEW&C aircraft, such as the Saab platform currently being purchased for the PAF. Personally, I would've preferred a larger platform with the ability to remain on station longer, perhaps one of the new Chinese Y-8 models, but the Saab platform is certainly not going to fall short in the radar performance category, so it should still be perfectly suitable for the needs of the PAF.

The real problem currently lies in the business end of the IADS network, the shooters. Let's examine the air picture first.

The PAF currently has to rely on relatively short-legged, older technology aircraft for the most part (the F-16A does enjoy a bit of a range benefit over the F-7s), and they lack a BVR weapon. That means that any intruder with a BVR weapon will put the PAF interceptor pilot at a disadvantage. This is currently being rectified through the purchase and co-production of the FC-1, which will employ the Chinese SD-10 BVR AAM. An upgrade for the PAF F-16 fleet is also being sought, as well as at least 18 new Block 50/52 jets, complete with AIM-120 BVR AAM capability. So, the airborne intercept portion of the equation is being addressed.

The real problem lies with the ground-based SAM network. Pakistan currently relies on the Chinese HQ-2 for strategic air defense purposes. The problem is that there only appears to be one active HQ-2 site near Islamabad, located at 33°32'40.80"N 73°16'04.44"E. There have been claims of a second HQ-2 unit near Karachi, but there is currently no evidence suggesting that this unit is still active, as the site is not visible in overhead imagery. Given the fact that Karachi is not the capital, the equipment could be being held in storage or active reserve for deployment if needed, but for the sake of argument we will proceed with the assumption that only the northern site is active, as it is the only site that can be verified at this time.

Here is an image of the active HQ-2 site near Islamabad:

654f3413a6d721cf19580d5f6b817a9c.jpg

The next image depicts the maximum range of the HQ-2, 35 kilometers. 35 kilometers is the range of the farthest-reaching HQ-2 variant, I am operating on the assumption that PAF missiles may have been upgraded or replaced over their service lives.

7644f84f03103200301a2305fbd12b6d.jpg

Take note that the mountanous terrain to the east and southeast will affect radar performance and the system's effectiveness will be hampered to some degree in those areas, particularly at low altitudes.

The rest of the Pakistani SAM inventory consists of short-range tactical SAM systems best suited for a point defense or ground unit support role. Clearly, the SAM side of the Pakistani IADS needs to be addressed. Pakistan has shown interest in acquiring advanced Chinese-made SAM systems, including the FT-2000, which is a rather interesting passive homing weapon. Modern Chinese SAM systems should be just as effective as some of their Russian counterparts, as China has been importing some of the best SAM systems in the world from the Russians for years now and has likely taken the opportunity, as they are so often wont to do, to check things out and figure out just what makes them tick. S-300P technology no doubt aided in the development of the very similar HQ-9 strategic SAM system.

Before one sets about redesigning the Pakistani strategic SAM network, one must first consider the goals of the IADS. The goal of the Pakistani IADS should not be to turn Pakistan into a wholly denied parcel of airspace; that would require far too many SAM systems to effectively pull off. Rather, a strategic SAM network should be positioned to protect key infrastructure elements and the government, as well as key military facilities.

In order to defend these key sites, they must be identified. For the sake of this discussion, here is a preliminary list:

-Islamabad
-Khusab reactor complex
-Hyderabad
-Karachi

This list is by no means all inclusive, and is meant simply to illustrate the next point. Additionally, mobile missile facilities have been discounted as they would likely disperse in the event of a large scale conflict.

Alright, primary facilities have been identified. The next step is to identify a potential SAM system for use. The ideal choice, given the nature of their relationship at the present time, would be for Pakistan to procure the 100 kilometer range HQ-9 system from China. As can be seen by the following image, the placement of four HQ-9 units at the aforementioned locations would represent a substantial increase in the Pakistani strategic air defense capability:

7d201f44d43527bcd1692468621b0af2.jpg

Any further strategic facilities or important locations could be defended by additional HQ-9 batteries, but two batteries at each site organized into two regiments, one north and one south, could provide the basis for a robust strategic SAM network.

That leaves the matter of point defense. While Pakistan may choose to procure a European system as they already have experience operating the short-range Crotale and RBS-70 systems, there is another option I would like to present.

Surface-launched AMRAAMs are being used by a few select nations as short/intermediate-range SAM systems. Pakistan has the opportunity here to develop a similar system in cooperation with the Chinese. The SD-10 could potentially form the basis of a very effective point defense system, as well as a system that could be placed covertly along potential threat aircraft ingress routes, particularly in the mountanous regions of the nation.

The SD-10 is an active radar weapon, ostensibly needing no off-board targeting sensors provided the target can be locked on by the seeker head prior to launch. The way to get around that limitation is to provide a passive detection system based on the FT-2000's EW kit. This would allow for hostile target identification to be performed, and a few sensors positioned at the right locations could provide triangulation so as to enable the system to generate accurate target track data. Target altitudes could be generated by measuring the strength of an identified emission, or perhaps by an accurate EO or IR system. Once a track and an altitude have been identified, the parameters for a launch have been established. An SD-10 could be fired and even updated mid-course using continued examination of the track and altitude data, before going active at point-blank range to allow for the maximum amount of suprise (mid-course signals could, of course, be detected by a sensitive RWR kit, but it'd have to know what it was to classify it as hostile).

The passive/active SD-10 system would be a cheap, effective option for short-range and point defense and would also be able to serve as a gap filler in areas where terrain precludes engagement by longer-range HQ-9s positioned in the area to defend their assigned locations. All Pakistan needs to do is take the initiative and embrace this concept, and with the induction of an HQ-9 class system the overall strategic air defense network will become much more effective.

Again, a network such as this is not intended to turn the entire nation into denied airspace. That's just not possible, or even economically feasible at any rate. But with a few key adjustments and acquisitions, Pakistan could greatly increase it's defensive capabilities insofar as intruding aircraft are concerned. A more robust SAM network would also free up more aircraft from point defense or CAP duties, allowing them to be retasked for other roles.

IMINT & Analysis: Modernizing Pakistani Air Defenses

Regarding acquisition, the way I look at it is as follows:

Hi-Medium Altitude Air Defence System (HiMADS)
Lo-Medium Altitude Air Defence System (LoMADS)
Low-Altitude Air Defence System (LAADS)

For HiMADS I think the Aster-30 SAMP/T would be an overall good option. Yes it is probably expensive, but I think it is one of those purchases we should swallow. The better option would have been the Russian S400, but that is definitely not available to us...and we know MBDA/France is still eager to continue relations with us. A sustained and gradual acquisition by 2019 should help keep costs down while giving Pakistan a very capable system.

With LoMADS there are two solid options, but both require time and investment. One is the IRIS-T SL, it was offered to Pakistan during IDEAS 2006 - but it is still in development and could prove costly. The other option might also be costly and require development time, but I think Pakistan has a much better chance in at least locally producing it...the system is the South African Umkhonto-series.

The Umkhonto has the potential to be in the IRIS-T SL league, and it too was offered to Pakistan during IDEAS 2006. We can come to an agreement with MBDA to help with any difficult areas and use the Umkhonto to essentially produce a land-variant of the Aster-15 with a range of more than 35km. IIRC the South Africans have the Umkhonto NG project to accomplish just that.

Finally LAADS, again an investment with the Umkhonto R - it has a range of 20-25km and is in the MICA VL league...it can be a direct purchase. For VSHORAD we can work with MBDA & Denel to produce an equivalent of the LFK-NG...perhaps use A-Darter as a basic concept.

So what about the MBDA Sparda? Its also an LoMADS and there was an article published in here that pakistan has already signed a deal to induct these missiles. This means that all we need now is a HiMADS possibly an HQ-9 or the Aster-30.

If we take the comprehensive picture of the PAF and Pakistan itself into consideration, IMO the resources would be better spent on COIN specific hardware than conventional air defense networks. With the possibility of a prolonged large scale war with India akin to the one in 1971 being extremely remote, and the much larger danger of insurgency in western Pakistan, there needs to be a paradigm shift.

The Chinese SAM systems should be persisted with along with low cost aircrafts like the JF-17 which should form the backbone of the fighter fleet. The J-10s should become the front line fighters and some if not most of the F-16s should be exchanged for A-10s and possibly other turbo prop COIN aircrafts like the Super Tucanos.

If we take the comprehensive picture of the PAF and Pakistan itself into consideration, IMO the resources would be better spent on COIN specific hardware than conventional air defense networks. With the possibility of a prolonged large scale war with India akin to the one in 1971 being extremely remote, and the much larger danger of insurgency in western Pakistan, there needs to be a paradigm shift.

The Chinese SAM systems should be persisted with along with low cost aircrafts like the JF-17 which should form the backbone of the fighter fleet. The J-10s should become the front line fighters and some if not most of the F-16s should be exchanged for A-10s and possibly other turbo prop COIN aircrafts like the Super Tucanos.

Well i agree with you on the part about pakistan enhancing her COIN capabilities, however just because chances of a war of 71 scale is limited does not mean that pakistan should let her defence loose against a much superior conventional enemy and that too with the disputes like kashmir still hanging in the middle. About A-10, i always felt that PA should have it rather then the airforce for counter insurgentsi but i dont think this plane is on an offer to pakistan and also this should not be at the cost of the F-16s, that is meant for an entire different purpose and should not be mixed with COIN.

Well i agree with you on the part about pakistan enhancing her COIN capabilities, however just because chances of a war of 71 scale is limited does not mean that pakistan should let her defence loose against a much superior conventional enemy and that too with the disputes like kashmir still hanging in the middle. About A-10, i always felt that PA should have it rather then the airforce for counter insurgentsi but i dont think this plane is on an offer to pakistan and also this should not be at the cost of the F-16s, that is meant for an entire different purpose and should not be mixed with COIN.

A-10 was actually USA's first choice for export to Pakistan. But the PAF was determined to get the F-16.

I'm not suggesting that Pakistan not care about the air defenses at all. JF-17s and J-10s should certainly be obtained along with Chinese SAM systems.

The PA is not equipped to have an fixed wing attack air wing. Even in the US, the A-10s are flown by the USAF and not the US army. Also, the warthog is by far the best COIN aircraft currently flying the skies. I recently read a report on how the NATO troops on the ground prefer A-10 backup to all other aircrafts including F-15, F-16, Eurofighters, Tornado's or even Marine AV8B Harriers which are the next closest CAS specific fighters after the A-10.

Also, the A-10s are a whole lot cheaper than the F-16s which means that more aircrafts could be obtained for the same price. These CAS bombers will be a whole lot more useful in the current scenario than F-16s.

Energon,

When the A 10 was offered to pakistan, it was considered a failure by many---because it was an ugly plane---USAF was in love with its sleek and beautiful F 16 and F 15's---A 10 only proved its worth when it got in combat in the GW1. That is when the utility of the ugly design became so evident. But then PAF has made some other mistakes as well regarding the procurement of other equipment.

Energon,

When the A 10 was offered to pakistan, it was considered a failure by many---because it was an ugly plane---USAF was in love with its sleek and beautiful F 16 and F 15's---A 10 only proved its worth when it got in combat in the GW1. That is when the utility of the ugly design became so evident. But then PAF has made some other mistakes as well regarding the procurement of other equipment.
I really hope decisions of this sort aren't made on the looks of the aircraft alone. I think in the 80s the PAF's defense policies were completely India centric, and by acquiring the F-16s, the PAF certainly enjoyed technical superiority over the IAF who didn't have anything in their arsenal to match the state of the art American light multirole combat aircraft. The Mig29s and the Mirage2000s weren't completely integrated into the IAF until the early-mid 90s on account of the steep learning curve both these aircrafts require, especially in the absence of sophisticated training facilities.

Nonetheless, PAF should now shift their India centric policy towards a more practical approach given the current threat perception. Unfortunately this hasn't happened. Had Pakistan opted for the A-10s instead of the block 52s, they would have had a much larger fleet of aircrafts which would have made the jobs of the PA and the FC so much easier and most of all saved a lot of lives.

After the 2001 escalation by India? No way. The F-16's are filling a huge gap that would not have been been filled by either the J10 or JF-17 until the platforms matured. Perhaps if India had taken up the "No War Pact" idea it would have been feasible to divert a larger chunk of resources to COIN equipment, but Pakistan cannot take the chance that some nutjobs in India decide to attack the Rashtrapati Bhavan and we get blamed as the "Terrorist Sponsor State" and are left lacking when it comes to a conventional deterrent.

Pakistan definitely has to invest in COIN, but not at the expense of its conventional capabilities while comprehensive peace with a hostile, aggressive and much larger neighbor remains elusive.

Yes and you think the 3 Indian Strike Corps and the 8 IBGs (Remember Cold Start?) facing Pakistan and the entire IAF Western Air Command is packing up and leaving?

Pakistan needs a re-balancing but not at the cost of the entire conventional capability being eroded (which many on the outside would love to see happen).

Energon,

Actually rejecting A-10 was not a mistake in any which way you look at it. Pakistan Airforce was looking for a multi-role platform that could act as a force multiplier rather than boxing itself to a dedicated aircraft. The Soviets were buzzing the F-6 sqns and we had no response to it...in such circumstances, A-10 would have done little for us.

Blain,

You are right about that. I should have written that A 10 could have been taken as an additional platform alongwith the F 16's. Pakistan was as a matter of fact miffed at being offered that plane. It would have been nice to have squardon and a half of those planes at that time.

USAF wants to use this plane till probably 2030 or till it drops dead and then they will have nothing to replace it with.

Also, the warthog is by far the best COIN aircraft currently flying the skies. I recently read a report on how the NATO troops on the ground prefer A-10 backup to all other aircrafts including F-15, F-16, Eurofighters, Tornado's or even Marine AV8B Harriers which are the next closest CAS specific fighters after the A-10.

Also, the A-10s are a whole lot cheaper than the F-16s which means that more aircrafts could be obtained for the same price. These CAS bombers will be a whole lot more useful in the current scenario than F-16s.

A pretty unrealistic proposition.

A-10 is no longer in production and the USAF is modifying the existing inventory. Fairchild is not going to restart the assembly lines and the USAF sqns flying the type do not want to part with any.

Secondly, there is no such a thing as a "COIN aircraft". CAS is the role that the A-10 performs relatively well. In the case of Pakistan, combat helicopters would be the ideal platforms for supporting the troops in the mountainous operations.

F-16s and other multi-role aircraft will continue to be an integral part and need of the Pakistan Air Force due to the threat from the IAF. Once IAF retools itself and no longer poses a threat to Pakistan then PAF can be re-organized in terms of assets.

what about pakistan's plan to procure a missile defense system? I remember hearing they were trying to get transfer of technology. the most probable choices would have been the FT-2000/HQ-9. any news on that?

Energon,

If the usaf had the choice, they would opt for more A 10's, but they don't have a voice in matter any more. The a 10 has performed beyond their wildest expectations---for that reason this plane will be made to fly as long as it is mechanically possible for the usaf.

Back
Top Bottom