What's new

Mosque to go up near New York's ground zero

Pakistan themselves banned youtube, wiki , etc for some blasphemous content , aint that a prejudice when there are tons of good information out there.

And what were my comments on that issue?

A good idea would be build a peace monument with no mention of religion and not a mosque !!!
A peace monument can be built as well, but Muslims are Americans, and given that there are Christian and Jewish centers in the area, there is no need to prevent an Islamic center.

If you want to declare it a 'religion free zone' and demolish the other XYZ faith centers, then we can talk.
Call it prejudice, islamophobia or whatever.
That is precisely what it is, and owning up to it does not make it any less reprehensible.

but many people lost there lives on 9/11 due to Radical Islam.

This is not a mosque for radical Islam, so you should have no issues with it. Beyond that there is no reason for preventing the construction of this mosque except for prejudice against the majority of Muslims because of the action of a few.

This doesnt mean a mosque should be build at a place where many have died due to reasons know, i would call it being insensitive.

What is insensitive and reeks of alienating and hounding a particular community is refusing to allow them to construct a religious center BECAUSE of their faith.

We all know this conversation would not be occurring were this a Jewish, Christian (both of which already exist in the area) or Buddhist center, so the fact is that one community in particular is being targeted and vilified because of their faith - these are not values the US stands for and this kind of prejudice should have no place in the US.

Thats the whole point..nobody hears the liberal voice out there, nobody protested these censorship;
I don't see any non-Muslim Americans out there counter protesting this display of prejudice and the vilification of one particular community on the basis of their faith either ...

The 'moderate Muslim voice' is out there, just as the 'moderate non-Muslim voice is out there' neither very visible really - it is typically the extremists who end up shouting, yelling and creating a furor to get noticed.

Pakistani blogs, newspapers and forums have been full of debates on the GoP decision to censor those sites, you obviously haven't been paying attention to anything except that which advances your prejudiced narrative.

I think the anger and opposition from the families of the victims is understandable. Instead of Mosque, why not just build a community center in the memory of the loved ones who lost lives.
It is not understandable.

I had nothing to do with that event. My family and friends had nothing to do with that event. The overwhelming majority of Muslims in the US and around the world had nothing to do with that event, so why should we be hounded and vilified and openly discriminated against because some people wish to generalize and denigrate an entire community for the actions of a few?

One wrong against innocents does not justify more wrongs against other innocents.

And what were my comments on that issue?

Dont know...what were the comments of majority of pakistanis on this issue ? in fact what were the comments from all the board members on this issue ? AM for all i know you might have protested these developments but thats the whole point. None of it appears in the main stream media. For all i know pakistanis are absolutely fine with the call from GOP. So much for prejudice.

A peace monument can be built as well, but Muslims are Americans, and given that there are Christian and Jewish centers in the area, there is no need to prevent an Islamic center.

Christian/Jewish centers were present near wall street before 9/11 happened. Cant demolish them now, can we ? In that case there would have been problems with mosques all over manhattan after 9/11 but that didnt happen, did it ? If a new religious centre comes up then yeah i will protest against that.

If you want to declare it a 'religion free zone' and demolish the other XYZ faith centers, then we can talk.

And why would i be instigating demolishing of faith centers which were already built and existing and serving their purpose before the misfortune happened. I am protesting against a new proposed religious centre at the same place where a attack was carried out by islamic extremists.

That is precisely what it is, and owning up to it does not make it any less reprehensible.

True i agree.

Dont know...what were the comments of majority of pakistanis on this issue ? in fact what were the comments from all the board members on this issue ? AM for all i know you might have protested these developments but thats the whole point. None of it appears in the main stream media. For all i know pakistanis are absolutely fine with the call from GOP. So much for prejudice.
A lack of effort on your part to discover what Pakistanis think about the issue, and merely clinging to a POV that furthers your prejudiced narrative, does not nullify the opinions and protests of those who oppose the censorship.

You remind me of this American gent at work that was rather loudly proclaiming the lack of CAIR's presence on the airwaves in condemning the recent terror attempts. I asked him how he knew that CAIR had not protested - 'because I never heard anything about them protesting' on the news. I brought him printouts of articles by the AFP and CAIR statements on their site condemning those incidents - he never bothered to look and in the hour or two he devoted to the news in one day, he essentially had made up his mind, helped along with his existing bias and prejudice, that CAIR had no intention of condemning these incidents.

That is pretty much an apt description of you as well.
Christian/Jewish centers were present near wall street before 9/11 happened. Cant demolish them now, can we ? In that case there would have been problems with mosques all over manhattan after 9/11 but that didnt happen, did it ? If a new religious centre comes up then yeah i will protest against that.
Why protest a new religious center? It is going to be providing the same sorts of services the others are. The fact is that this opposition is not to any 'religious center' it is opposition specifically to an Islamic religious center, and is therefore specifically discrimination against Muslims on the basis of their faith.
And why would i be instigating demolishing of faith centers which were already built and existing and serving their purpose before the misfortune happened. I am protesting against a new proposed religious centre at the same place where a attack was carried out by islamic extremists.
If you have no issue with religious centers then you should have no issue with this one. As you pointed out, the attack was carried out by extremists, this is not an Islamic Center for extremists nor is it any way associated with them nor does it condone their actions or ideology.

One way to convince that you do not belong with extremist ideology is by listening to the victims of the 9/11 and being sensitive to their feelings. My 2 cents. No point arguing here, your religion, your future, you decide.

It is not understandable.

I had nothing to do with that event. My family and friends had nothing to do with that event. The overwhelming majority of Muslims in the US and around the world had nothing to do with that event, so why should we be hounded and vilified and openly discriminated against because some people wish to generalize and denigrate an entire community for the actions of a few?

One wrong against innocents does not justify more wrongs against other innocents.

The 'moderate Muslim voice' is out there, just as the 'moderate non-Muslim voice is out there' neither very visible really - it is typically the extremists who end up shouting, yelling and creating a furor to get noticed.

At that they do a good job of getting noticed. For non muslim moderates this would be relatively non issue since issues such as these are strictly confined to a very limited people and further there are few instances of violence when you compare it with the situation muslim moderates are in. These makes it even more important for the liberal voices to be heard.

Pakistani blogs, newspapers and forums have been full of debates on the GoP decision to censor those sites, you obviously haven't been paying attention to anything except that which advances your prejudiced narrative.

REally , thats nice to know that arm chair generals have been debating this issue. I used to have debates in my schools. Anyways Any protests ? Any one went on road and made a speach against the government on this issue ? Any peace marches againts this action? And may i know what was the outcome of the debate on our forum? Bet you , you didnt have even a sizeable majority with you, did you?

Further more this very forum has considerably high number of people who supported this prejudice.

A lack of effort on your part to discover what Pakistanis think about the issue, and merely clinging to a POV that furthers your prejudiced narrative, does not nullify the opinions and protests of those who oppose the censorship.

Its not a lack of effort from my side, its a lack of visibility from your side. The arguments that sane people on this forum/blogs makes are confined to this foru/blogs..print media, news channels of the world relay information that pakistan has banned internet sites due to blasphemous content..and thats it. There no news that pakistani people protested against these actions , and these decisions were reversed. I bet if that were the case it would have hit headlines...Again you never replied on what were the comments by other forum members ?

Why protest a new religious center? It is going to be providing the same sorts of services the others are. The fact is that this opposition is not to any 'religious center' it is opposition specifically to an Islamic religious center, and is therefore specifically discrimination against Muslims on the basis of their faith.

A little prejudice are we here ? You can think all you want similarly other people have feelings that are bang opposite and that is be sensitive to 9/11 trauma.

If you have no issue with religious centers then you should have no issue with this one. As you pointed out, the attack was carried out by extremists, this is not an Islamic Center for extremists nor is it any way associated with them nor does it condone their actions or ideology.

Merely misquoting me doesnt help. As i said 9/11 grounds should not have nay permission for a religious center , i am against instigating demolishing of existing centers. The bold part is true in a ideal sense , but mosques dont seperate out extremists from a moderate muslim guy do they ? How can you be so sure that these faith centers are not opened by extrememists and these are opened by moderates ? You cant , you wont. Recently heard a news that a radical group based in manhattan threatened South Park creators, so no shortage of these kind of sick of people in those areas.

So ? That doesnt justify a mosque. Many people were victims. Race/religion is a pathetic way to classify victims. Peace be upon them.

And in your opinion its a good way to classify a terrorist, cuz the person i was referring to, wrote Islamic radicals is it correct??

USA is probably one of the most free state where there are equal rights for everyone. So lets leave that out. There are mosques in NY where muslims pray and worship. This doesnt mean a mosque should be build at a place where many have died due to reasons know, i would call it being insensitive.

Go raise your voice to New York mayor, why on a defense forum, you are saying as if I am New York's mayer, :lol:

and yeah I have just googled there are 10 mosques in whole New York, do you believe it is sufficient for thousands of Muslims?

Last edited:
NYC community board OKs ground zero mosque plans

The Associated Press
Tuesday, May 25, 2010; 11:07 PM
NEW YORK -- A New York City community board has voted to support a plan to build a mosque and cultural center near ground zero.

The vote late Tuesday was 29-1 in favor, with 10 abstentions. It came after hours of contentious public comment.

Supporters say the mosque will build bridges and foster interfaith dialogue.

Critics says the proposed lower Manhattan site is an insult to Sept. 11 victims. Tea Party Express chairman Mark Williams has called it a monument to the Sept. 11 attackers.

Some Sept. 11 victims' families say they're angry the mosque would be built so close to where their relatives died.

The organizations sponsoring the project say they're trying to meet a growing need for prayer space. They also want to provide a venue for mainstream Islam to counter extremism.

NYC community board OKs ground zero mosque plans

Cordoba House is the name of the proposed Mosque.

Why the Cordoba House?

Cordoba House is a Muslim-led project which will build a world-class facility that promotes tolerance, reflecting the rich diversity of New York City. The center will be community-driven, serving as a platform for inter-community gatherings and cooperation at all levels, providing a space for all New Yorkers to enjoy.

This proposed project is about promoting integration, tolerance of difference and community cohesion through arts and culture. Cordoba House will provide a place where individuals, regardless of their backgrounds, will find a center of learning, art and culture; and most importantly, a center guided by universal values in their truest form - compassion, generosity, and respect for all.

The site will contain tremendous amounts of resources that otherwise would not exist in Lower Manhattan; a 500-seat auditorium, swimming pool, art exhibition spaces, bookstores, restaurants - all these services would form a cultural nexus for a region of New York City that, as it continues to grow, requires the sort of hub that Cordoba House will provide.

Home Page | Cordoba

The Plans to build a Mosque close to the ground zero has gone through which speaks out for the religious freedom in America and it is highly appreciable:usflag: .

But some people are not happy..... Please watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom