What's new

Mosque to go up near New York's ground zero

Correct, the Muslim community does not have one single representative to speak for them, and in fact another flaw in your position is to make a distinction between Catholics and other Christian denominations, while ignoring the various denominational/sectarian divides in Islam. If one subscribes to the argument that Catholics alone must speak up above and beyond everyone else on the child abuse scandal, then it is Saudi Arabian Wahabbis who must be expected to speak up the most against the 911 attacks, not all Muslims.

That said, I only expect the Church to condemn that which falls directly under its purview - events in the Church itself, such as the Catholic priests sex child abuse scandal. I don't expect the Church to take responsibility for the actions of every Catholic nutjob out there, nor do I wish them, or the Catholic community, to go 'above and beyond' the actions expected of non-Catholics in condemning a particular incident that the Church had nothing to do with and did not endorse.

I expect the same standards to be applied to Muslims - if a religious extremist attended a particular mosque, the mosque should openly condemn any crimes by that individual, but that 'show of condemnation' should not be extended to the larger Muslim community as some sort of 'litmus test' of their views.

But for what its worth, CAIR (and a Pakistani American group after the Faisal Shazad attempt) issued statements condemning the incident. Reporters sought out Pakistani Americans for interviews and asked them their views. I think that is appropriate enough.
The significant difference here is that whenever a Catholic priest abused a child, he knows he is doing something that not only is a crime against society but also a sin against his God. He cannot in good conscience call what he does in the name of his God. Whereas the 19 muslim hijackers justified their acts with Islam. You may disagree with however they interpreted the Quran to justify their acts, but that disagreement does not erase what they did. If a Wahabbist donate a chunk of his income to charity, he does not say he did it in the name of Wahabbism. He may say so but more likely he would attribute the compulsion to Islam. All sects of Islam share that common foundation. If a Catholic priest abuse a child, he is doing a wrong against an individual, it is a hidden shame and there are no political motives to it, whereas the 9/11 muslim hijackers declared their political animosity against an entire country -- US -- and they were proud of it. Like it or not, the best solution against a vocal minority is the vocal majority and the spectacular collapse of the three WTC towers along with 2700 US citizens deaths is quite vocal a statement.

The police force is held to higher standards than the citizenry because of the nature of their profession, not because of the religion, race, nationality gender, sexual orientation or political views of the members of the force.

People join the police force as adults knowing full well what the job entails and what is expected of them. This is by no means an apt comparison to singling out a particular community on the basis of their religion and holding them to a different standard than others.
The police force is no different from a religious order in that both stands upon moral foundations and those foundations demands conformity to a set of standards. Those standards are higher because they are different. Like the military, those standards are applicable 24/7/365. Same for a religious person in that his moral foundation does not change from day to day or hour to hour. Catholics eat fish on Friday. Jews and muslims avoid pork. Should we not hold Catholics, Jews and muslims to their own standards because we are not Catholics, Jews nor muslims? No, we do hold them to the standards they claimed. The greater the impact to our lives any of those standards, the harsher we tend to be upon them whenever any of them violated the standards they chose to believe in. That is why we ignore Catholics who eat beef on Friday but we do not ignore priests who sexually abuse children or politicians who are unfaithful to their spouses or police officers who misuse their authority. So my argument remains valid, that holding someone or a group to a set of standards does not equate to treating them with negative discrimination.

A Tale of Two Mosques
by Arun Venugopal

155902-1.jpg

NEW YORK, NY June 10, 2010 —The idea of a "mega mosque," as its called by opponents, mere steps from Ground Zero, is generating national attention. For opponents like Herb London of the Washington, D.C.-based Hudson Institute, this is about defining the future of the country.

"We have a responsibility to make sure that that mosque is not constructed," he said during the Ground Zero protest, a few days ago. "Not in my neighborhood, not in my town, not in New York, not in America. We are against that mosque!"

But the local community board as well as New York City's leading politicians support the project. Opponents say the fight's not over yet. Many, like Mike Burke, the brother of a firefighter who died on 9/11, feel the Islamic Center is an unnecessary provocation. Burke and others are questioning the integrity of the Cordoba Initiative, which is behind the project.

"If they were to turn up a so-called smoking gun and if they were in fact linked to the terrorist groups, I'm sure that would stop everything," he said, while standing next to Ground Zero. "I wouldn't say we're searching for that necessarily. You just want to make sure that's not so. Because other things have turned up."

Mark Costello was part of the majority at Community Board 1 that voted for the project. Although he's a devout Catholic, he regularly visited the Cordoba Initiative's book store in Tribeca after 9/11.

"If you go in that book store you'll see all kinds of disturbing literature," he said, with a touch of sarcasm, "like Letters from a Birmingham Jail, by Dr King. You'll see the writings of Mohandas Gandhi, you'll see Rumi and Omar Khayyam."

Costello says he has no argument for those who think a mosque near Ground Zero is in poor taste. But he can speak to another concern -- that there's something questionable about the Cordoba Initiative. Costello was a federal prosecutor, and made inquiries to his friends in law enforcement.

"I was laughed at," he said. "This Cordoba House does work with the Department of State. They're very very well known. I felt a little bit like I was asking, Should we be afraid of the Kiwanis Club or the League of Women Voters."

The leader of the Cordoba Initiative is Imam Feisal Rauf, who practices Sufism, a spiritual branch of Islam.

"People have said 'Where is the voice of the moderates, where are the moderates, when do we hear them?'" he said. "Well, here we are. We are the moderates, we are the anti-terrorists."

Rauf thinks the Islamic center would help address a problem that sometimes happens in the West -- the act of integrating young Muslims into the broader culture.

"We need to develop in this country a sense of who we are as American Muslims," said Rauf. "Not to be just pockets of immigrant Muslims, which generally happens."

Well before the furor in lower Manhattan, another one had erupted in Brooklyn. There, a community of Muslims is planning a mosque in Sheepshead Bay. In many ways, the two controversies are completely different. One is about a place that many define as sacred: the World Trade Center. The other is a more conventional, Not In My Backyard issue. It's about neighborhood traffic, noise and changing demographics.

This mosque would be located on a small, empty plot of land, set among a couple houses and co-op buildings. Ibrahim Anse is the mosque's architect. He moved to Brooklyn 10 years ago, from Yemen. Anse explains there are 100 to 150 Muslim families in the neighborhood, and they need a place to pray. He says the four-story facility would also have afterschool services for kids.

"We actually welcome anybody else, such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, karate, any activity for the youth. We welcome anybody else who's non-Muslim as well."

But that interfaith outreach hasn't gotten off the ground yet, due to what Anse calls hatred and racism. Some of the criticism has come from real estate agents, who say property values will dip if a mosque gets built in Sheepshead Bay. Much of it, however, has come from neighbors, like Alex Tenenbaum of the group Bay People.

According to Tenenbaum, a mosque is bound to attract drivers from outside the neighborhood who would crowd out local residents. And while proponents of the mosque insist they won't broadcast their call to prayer outside, Alex still worries about noise. And he produces photos showing how worshippers at other mosques in Brooklyn tend to overflow onto the sidewalk. He says his concerns are practical, and that he's not the bigot that proponents say he is.

"They don't want to admit that that could be a nuisance for neighbors," he says. "They're saying, 'Oh, you're just an Islamophobe.' Which is not the case. I just don't want a crowd of people under my bedroom window."

As with the Ground Zero mosque, some of Alex's allies have been looking for their own smoking gun concerning the group building the mosque. That organization, the Muslim American Society, originally stemmed from the Muslim Brotherhood, which also spawned Hamas.

The connection has given pause to even some neutral observers. But to Theresa Scavo, the no-nonsense head of Community Board 15, it's completely irrelevant.

"If there is evil wrong with certain people in a certain group that doesn't mean the entire group is affiliated," said Scavo, peering over her glasses. "[Or] that you can just conglomerate everybody together and just say, 'Oh well, that faction has issues, so that means everybody has issues in that group.' Come on, that's old-time thinking, it's not today -- not 21st century today."

She says the opposition to the mosque has been driven entirely by fear-mongering and fear of Muslims, but that opponents occasionally shift to more polite language to cover their tracks. Scavo also dismisses the concerns about noise coming from the mosque, saying she's reassured by the mosque's promise not to broadcast its prayer. And she thinks a mosque catering to locals would encourage most of them to walk instead of drive there. The mosque would be one of 77 religious institutions in the district, and she says all of them compete for parking spaces, and most of them make noise now and then.

"It's a lot about possession, and 'This is my neighborhood,' and 'We were here first,'" she said. "And 'We don't welcome outsiders.' It's not the American way, or the New York way. Everyone is welcome."

Today an interfaith group of Brooklynites -- Muslim, Jewish, Christian and other -- are holding their annual Peace Walk, and plan to direct it to the site of the mosque. They say they've reached out to people who oppose the mosque. But opponents say that there's no war, so there's no need for a Peace Walk.

WNYC - News - A Tale of Two Mosques

omg. I just cant believe how some people are against the idea of building a mosque there. People who oppose to this idea directly associate Islam with a terrorist organization. So basically we are being told by these idiots and the ones who support this idea that we are terrorists, our religion is all about terrorism, and our religion Islam was responsible for 9/11 attacks. Thank you all for the racial profiling.

And the Indians out there who oppose to this idea. Did you know that you get treated the same way in the USA because of the way you smell (curry), talk, and your color? Uneffinbeliavable!!! I felt bad for you back then, but i guess you deserve the same treatment we get.

Found a very good response by a poster named James H to a commentator on a neo-con blog:

I do not agree with you.

Pay attention to the current method of protest. Those opposed to this mosque recently attempted to persuade a local New York City board to block consruction of the mosque/cultural center.

This should be deemed unacceptable for two reasons:

1. First Amendment. If a New York government entity blocks mosque construction solely because its sponsors are Muslim, that entity facially discriminates based on religion, and, indeed, breaches the First Amendment guarantee of free exercise of religion. Of the objections articulated against the mosque, none of them pertain to religiously neutral criteria such as building safety or infrastructure concerns. The objections raised are solely an attempt to enlist government sanction for private religious bigotry.

2. Property rights. My own beliefs on private property rights are not nearly as expansive as those held by others here. However, I do believe that as long as a private transaction is enacted in accordance with existing laws, it should not be nullified by government action. The contract in question here is a private-sector affair that involves use of privately owned land. I can't help noticing that the same group that supports, say, an individual restauranteur's right to discriminate based on race would then turn around and seek government interference in a private affair.

But outside government action, the sky's the limit. March around the site with your signes? Fine. Attempt to persuade a landowner not to allow a mosque to be built? Fine. Block access to the construction site? Well, you'll be arrested for trespass. But if you're trying to draw attention to something you don't like, you're following a grand American tradition, even if you're wrong.

But do the rest of us a favor, and stop trying to enlist government action in service of your private biases.

Hallowed Ground (Wizbang)

And yet another mosque controversy in the US:

Proposed Midland Beach mosque controversy: 2 sides remain worlds apart
Published: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 7:43 AM Updated: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 7:46 AM
Amy Padnani Amy Padnani

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A meeting about a controversial plan for the Muslim American Society to build a mosque in Midland Beach ended the same way it began: with tension, anger and even hostility.

The two-hour affair, organized by the Midland Beach Civic Association, was intended for members of the community to ask questions about MAS and determine whether the mosque would be a welcome addition to the neighborhood. It was held last night at the Olympia Activity Center, which was filled to its 384-person capacity five minutes before the meeting was to start, and no one else was allowed in.

Instead, both sides used the opportunity to vent their frustrations; no issues were resolved and some people, shaking with anger, seemed more unsettled than when they arrived.

The controversy began when residents learned of a plan by St. Margaret Mary R.C. Church to sell its empty former convent to MAS, which planned to convert it to a mosque and community center with after-school programs for children.

KEPT IN DARK

Members of the community were upset that they knew nothing about the Islamic organization or its intents before the deal was made. Some insisted MAS had an affiliation with the Muslim Brotherhood, which has been questioned for terrorist practices. They were also angered that the church had agreed to make the sale without consulting the community.

During the meeting, people grilled three members of the board of the MAS Brooklyn and Staten Island chapter about their views on terrorism and religion, the first question coming from Robert Spencer of jihadwatch.org.

“Do you denounce Hamas and Hizballah?,” he asked repeatedly.
Enlarge Anthony DePrimo The meeting was packed to the gills as the MIdland Beach civic meeting got underway to discuss the proposed mosque on Greeley Avenue.

Hammous finally said, “MAS denounces any act of terror in the United States or outside.”

The Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism at the U.S. Department of State maintains a list of 45 foreign terrorist organizations based across the globe, including the Middle East. Hamas and Hizballah are on the list; the Muslim Brotherhood is not.

Residents also asked about the structure of the facility, the scheduling for programs and the potential impact on parking and traffic in the area.

ROWDY AT TIMES

Though there were no arrests last night, there were numerous outbursts by the crowd, who often cursed and shouted at one another. While Midland Beach residents called out “liar!” and told MAS officials to “shut up,” representatives from MAS failed to answer some of the questions and their supporters in the audience often yelled out of turn.

Memories of 9/11 echoed throughout the meeting.

“If you see something, if you hear something, if you suspect something, will you notify the proper American authorities?” asked Pete Mulroy, a former Midland Beach resident.

“Absolutely,” came the response from MAS.

At one point, a veteran from Afghanistan challenged both sides.

“Will you work to the benefit of the community?” Bill Finnegan asked MAS.

“Yes, absolutely,” came the response.

“And, to the community, will you work cohesively with the new members for the betterment of the community?”

At that point, the crowd screamed “no!” while hissing and booing.

Nagla Elbadawi, a Muslim who moved to South Beach seven years ago from Brooklyn, said she had hoped for a more constructive exchange.

“I never expected such anger,” she said. “I’m only upset about them not giving us a chance to talk. I’m an American citizen — give us a chance to show that we are good.”

Toward the end of the meeting, representatives from the civic association called upon community leaders from Brooklyn to talk about their experiences with a mosque there that has been operated by MAS for several years. The crowd became unruly, refusing to let them speak and the civic association abruptly ended the meeting.

“I hope you can do better,” the group’s president, Yasmin Ammirato, scolded residents afterward.

An exasperated Mohamed Sadeia, president of the local MAS chapter, appeared disgusted.

“We came to talk to people based on their request, to answer questions they had,” he said. “I don’t think this is a professional way of dialogue. I don’t think this is the right way to handle the situation at all.”

Sadeia would not say whether the outcome of the meeting would influence MAS’ plan to purchase the property from the parish.

The crowd expressed fury at the failure of any Archdiocese of New York representatives to attend the meeting, and toward Rev. Keith Fennessy, the parish pastor, who stepped down recently as the controversy grew.

Bill Owens, a resident, rallied his neighbors to continue fighting against the plans by writing letters and calling the Archdiocese to “tell them you don’t like to be lied to.”

“This is our D-Day,” he said. “We’re here to try to save our neighborhood.”

--- With Virginia N. Sherry

Proposed Midland Beach mosque controversy: 2 sides remain worlds apart | SILive.com

================

Bloody absurd really.

Tensions Flare Over Proposed Mosque on Staten Island - NYTimes.com

Heated Opposition to a Proposed Mosque

By PAUL VITELLO

A church may be a church, and a temple a temple, but through the prism of emotion that still grips many New Yorkers almost a decade after 9/11, a mosque can apparently represent a lot of things.

In the last few months, Muslim groups have encountered unexpectedly intense opposition to their plans for opening mosques in Lower Manhattan, in Brooklyn and most recently in an empty convent on Staten Island.

Some opponents have cited traffic and parking concerns. But the objections have focused overwhelmingly on more intangible and volatile issues: fear of terrorism, distrust of Islam and a linkage of the two in opponents’ minds.

“Wouldn’t you agree that every terrorist, past and present, has come out of a mosque?” asked one woman who stood up Wednesday night during a civic association meeting on Staten Island to address representatives of a group that wants to convert a Roman Catholic convent into a mosque in the Midland Beach neighborhood.

“No,” began Ayman Hammous, president of the Staten Island branch of the group, the Muslim American Society — though the rest of his answer was drowned out by catcalls and boos from among the 400 people who packed the gymnasium of a community center.

Yasmin Ammirato, president of the Midland Beach Civic Association, which organized the meeting in an effort to dispel tensions, bellowed into her portable microphone in the first of many efforts to keep control during the subsequent three hours: “Excuse me! This is a civic association meeting! Everybody have a little respect!”

Opposition to new mosques has become almost commonplace. A similar uproar erupted during a Lower Manhattan community board meeting on May 25 over plans to build a mosque near ground zero. Protests also have broken out in Brentwood, Tenn.; Sheboygan County, Wis.; and Dayton, Ohio.

Recent cases of so-called homegrown terrorism, like the Times Square car bomb episode, have increased anxieties, experts say.

But organizations like the Muslim American Society, a Washington-based nonprofit group that helps plant new mosques in communities throughout the country, have adopted a strategy of engagement that they say they hope will eventually build mutual understanding.

“We are newcomers, and newcomers in America have always had to prove their loyalty,” said Mahdi Bray, the society’s executive director. “It’s an old story. You have to have thick skin.”

That admonition was tested on Wednesday, as irate residents took turns at the microphone, demanding answers from the three Muslim men who had accepted the get-acquainted invitation of the civic association.

“I was on the phone this morning with the F.B.I., and all I want to know from you is why MAS is on the terrorist watch list,” said Joan Moriello, using the acronym for the Muslim American Society. Her question produced a loud, angry noise from the audience.

Mr. Hammous, a physical therapist who lives on Staten Island, exchanged a puzzled look with two other Muslim men who had joined him on the podium, both officers of the society’s Brooklyn branch, which operates a mosque in Bensonhurst and faces opposition to opening another in Sheepshead Bay.

“Your information is incorrect, madam,” he replied. “We are not on any watch list.” The other men, Mohamed Sadeia and Abdel Hafid Djamil, shook their heads in agreement.

The State Department maintains a terrorist watch list for foreign organizations, and the Justice Department has identified domestic groups it considers unindicted co-conspirators in various terror-related prosecutions. The American Muslim Society is on neither of those lists.

But more than a dozen speakers, including Robert Spencer, a writer whose blog, Jihad Watch, is widely read in conservative foreign policy circles, said that the society and its national director, Mr. Bray, had ties to Hamas, Hezbollah and the Muslim Brotherhood. The first two are on the State Department’s list.

“Will you denounce Hamas and Hezbollah as terrorist organizations?” Mr. Spencer demanded. “Yes or no?”

Mr. Hammous said he denounced “any form of terrorism, any act of terror — by individuals, by groups, by governments.”

The plan to make a mosque out of the convent building on the grounds of St. Margaret Mary church — which would be used only for Friday prayers — is still in its initial stage. The church’s pastor, the Rev. Keith Fennessy, signed an agreement last month to sell the property to the society. The deal must still be approved by the parish board of trustees, which is made up of the pastor, two lay trustees and two officials of the Archdiocese of New York, including Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan. It is also under review by a State Supreme Court justice, as required under New York’s Religious Corporations statute, said Joseph Zwilling, spokesman for the archdiocese.

The timetable for completing all that, he added, was “not known at this time.”

But for the near term, Wednesday night’s meeting indicated that the questions of neighborhood residents may take some time to answer.

Among them: “Is Sharia law better than democracy in your view?” “How do you feel about the role of women in society?” “What are your views on Israel?” “Can you point to any single statement in the Koran that you would consider to be incorrect?”

The tenor of the inquiry became so fraught that the meeting eventually collapsed in shouting around 11 p.m., prompting the police and security guards to ask everyone to leave.

But just 20 minutes earlier, as Bill Finnegan stood at the microphone, came the meeting’s single moment of hushed silence. Mr. Finnegan said he was a Marine lance corporal, home from Afghanistan, where he had worked as a mediator with warring tribes.

After the sustained standing ovation that followed his introduction, he turned to the Muslims on the panel: “My question to you is, will you work to form a cohesive bond with the people of this community?” The men said yes.

Then he turned to the crowd. “And will you work to form a cohesive bond with these people — your new neighbors?”

The crowd erupted in boos. “No!” someone shouted.

After the sustained standing ovation that followed his introduction, he turned to the Muslims on the panel: “My question to you is, will you work to form a cohesive bond with the people of this community?” The men said yes.

Then he turned to the crowd. “And will you work to form a cohesive bond with these people — your new neighbors?”

The crowd erupted in boos. “No!” someone shouted.

How can there be a discourse if people can't be civilized even. Have to hand it to these American Muslims who are trying to engage their local community against such a prejudiced audience.

Islam and Western Civilizations are simply incompatible.Islam stands for Arabization in one way or another.
To Quote One Youtube Reply:
billymayday
5 months ago 3
if a japanese convert to christian, chances is that, they still inherit the japanese culture and value.... same as indian, chinese, or british, or even american.. but when one convert into muslim, it means change into arab alike.. which i seriously don't respect.
at least christian believers are more secularism and open minded than muslim.. and i happy to see a muslim convert to christianity even thought me myself is an atheist
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. v=L4eR1s9YAOw

If you believe some of these right wing nutcases, the whole world is suddenly becoming muslim. All this fear mongering is a bit over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Islam and Western Civilizations are simply incompatible.Islam stands for Arabization in one way or another.
To Quote One Youtube Reply:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. v=L4eR1s9YAOw

be happy in your bliss Sir, there is no harm in it

and last time i heard if someone converts from his religion. It means he converted from his religion only. What is culture to do with religion?

If someone abondons his/her inherited culture for the sake of "Something". Thats his/her own choice, The religion does not demand any such thing, nobody is forcing him to do so

Last edited:
Why there is so much hypocrisy in pakistan. They have have their own fear.
Lets not point finger at USA for religious freedom. They are some light years away from so called peace loving nations to minority treatment.

ASMA SOCIETY | American Society for Muslim Advancement
--EBOO PATEL

Daisy Khan spent 25 years as an interior architect for Fortune 500 companies before turning her prodigious talents to working on behalf of Muslim empowerment and interfaith understanding. After the Sept. 11 attacks, Khan and her husband, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf became engaged in countering the suspicions raised against Muslims in America, which led to the founding of the American Society for Muslim Advancement. Since then Khan has launched the Women's Islamic Initiative in Spirituality and Equity in response to the marginalization of women in Muslim communities and Muslim Leaders of Tomorrow to cultivate an international network for young Muslins working to improve their communities. Daisy Khan visited Sojourners in September 2008 and talked about the struggle to make Islam an American religion.

"The struggle of Muslims in the United States is the same as that of all religious groups: a desire for acceptance. Take, for example, American Catholics and Jews, long considered outsiders, but now generally existing within the mainstream of American society. This process is already underway with American Muslims, and it will only continue. I have learned from these other faith groups--from their courage, wisdom, and perseverance, as well as their love for both their faith and their country.

Just as our nation has transformed from a "Christian" nation to a "Judeo-Christian" nation, we must now recognize our commonly shared Abrahamic ethics and embrace Islam as an equal member of this Abrahamic ethical tradition.

Islam is becoming an American religion, and this represents a victory for all Americans who cherish our nation as a beacon of tolerance and acceptance of all traditions.

ISLAM IS NEITHER Western nor Eastern. It is confined neither by geography nor history. There are, however, certain unique elements of Islam as practiced in the Western context. Given the tradition's singular history of cultural adaptation, of taking the best of a culture and rejecting the worst, this represents nothing novel. In the context of the U.S., I envision an authentic American expression of Islam thriving within our pluralistic society without compromising its essential values and beliefs. This "American Islam" cuts across cultural boundaries, carving an identity that combines the best of what it means to be "Muslim" and "American."

I firmly believe that the core values of Islam--faith in and obedience to the Divine, reverence for individual rights and communal well-being, compassion and justice, respect for pluralism and diversity--are entirely resonant with American values.

Muslims must adopt those cultural expressions and practices that do not contradict our basic religious principles. Of course, those that do violate our faith, we cannot accept. Whether in Egypt, Persia, the Indian subcontinent, Indonesia, or today in the West, Islam has consistently retained its essential values, its core of orthodoxy, while adapting and benefiting from local contexts and cultures.

OUR COUNTRY WAS founded as a shining beacon of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. For many Americans, this ideal proved true.

Many other Americans, however, only lived in the shadow of this beacon. Religious women courageously stepped into this arena and shook up the status quo. Driven by faith to fight for their freedoms, women such as Harriet Tubman, Susan B. Anthony, and Amelia Boynton Robinson led some of our country's most extraordinary large-scale political and social changes, including the abolitionist, suffrage, and civil rights movements.

Muslim women are now contributing to this remarkable legacy. Of course, Muslim women are active in all sectors of American society. However, the passionate, courageous, and dynamic Muslim women who have dedicated their lives to the causes of justice and equality, fighting for the rights of Muslim women, are contemporary inheritors of this great American legacy of women's faith-based activism.

The Women's Islamic Initiative in Spirituality and Equity (WISE), which I founded in 2006, represents just one example of American Muslim women, as well as Muslim women from around the globe, contributing to the public discourses on gender and religion.

WISE utilizes the teachings of Islam--both as justification and inspiration--to challenge gender-based inequality and to empower Muslim women to make dignified personal, family, and career choices. Drawing in partners from within and outside the Muslim community, it has energized a global, inclusive movement of Muslim women that is capable of transforming the lives of women in numerous contexts. The American women of the WISE movement now walk in the giant footsteps of our earlier Christian sisters: Tubman, Anthony, and Robinson.

NOW, AS MUSLIMS continue to find our way in American public life, we ask Christians to respect and support us. We ask them to consider us citizens, allies, and brothers and sisters in faith, rather than strangers, enemies, or competitors for devotees. Hear us and help us tell our story.

Our stories, struggles, and joys are not so different from one another. We seek to balance tradition and belief with contemporary realities and social conditions. We are uncomfortable relegating our faith to the fringes of our lives. We seek a compassionate, justice-driven, pluralistic expression of our religion.

In contemporary American society, any religious person can feel the burden of popular culture's largely negative attitudes toward his or her beliefs, often regarded as backwards, intolerant, and steeped in ignorance. This is especially true for Muslims. Ensuring a positive place for religion in American society is a shared concern for all people of faith.

Myths about Islam

MYTH #1: Muslims cannot be good Americans because they are required to be loyal to some abstract Muslim flag or creed somewhere in the world, which is mutually exclusive with America. False. One of the reasons Islam is such a widespread religion in more than 100 countries is precisely because, as Muslim scholars like to say, "The waters of Islam are so pure that they carry the color of the rocks that they flow over." Islam adapts and integrates exceptionally well. Where would Islam be today without Turkish poetry, without Persian cuisine, without Indian architecture? Islam in India is Indian. Islam in Indonesia is Indonesian. Islam in China is Chinese. Islam in America is becoming American. That is what Islam is meant to be. It is meant to be a flexible and adaptable religion, otherwise it would have died.

MYTH #2: Islam is inherently oppressive to women. That's just not true. The person who first recognized that the Prophet Muhammad had received revelation, that something very special had happened to him--even when he was scared about that first encounter with the angel--was his wife. Khadijah was a successful businesswoman who was a well-respected figure in her time and place. For me, that's one model of a Muslim woman, which is powerful, independent, and equal.

MYTH #3: Islam is inherently violent and, ergo, inevitably at odds with the West or America. Again, just not true. Muhammad Ali is a great Muslim and a great American. We Muslims seek to contribute wherever we are. Three of the last six Nobel Peace Prize winners were Muslims: Muhammad Yunus, Mohamed ElBaradei, and Shirin Ebadi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom