What's new

My Question ? If JF 17 is capable enough why we are purchasing even used F16

Over the years one has seen many times when US has claimed about BVR weapons...
If we go back to the Vietnam War we can see why was the F4 a duck...It relied on missile technology where as when it came up in dog fight mode it was no way to see the other aircraft due to the design. Then it also lacked a gun...

Israel Air Force fired BVR missile on Syrian Aircraft but nothing happened those missiles flew past without hitting any aircraft.

Time to move on for more F16 , now PAF engineer are pretty much familiar with technology.

Last edited:
If the thunder is better than the falcons as some of you keep telling us

Why are you buying used half battered second hand falcons. Which in turn cost money to upgrade.

Usa weapons even have threat of sanctions.

Yet you people persist in falcons.

Don't bother to explain I already know why you buy sanction threatenf falcons over the superior thunders.
We r purchasing used F16s as well as producing JF 17s......Does that mean that Jf17 is not a capable jet.Moreover,both jets belong to different weight classes and hence r used for different roles............Also use common sense where it is needed :enjoy:

Last edited:
We r purchasing used F16s as well as producing JF 17s......Does that mean that Jf17 is not a capable jet.Moreover,both jets belong to different weight classes and hence r used for different roles............Also used common sense where it is needed :enjoy:

Centi Kyu ho rahe ho yaar. To Sum Up :

#1. F16 , a tested Platform , PAF in love with F16
#2. No Money in Pakistan ( Pakistan Can get J10s , J11s , Rafale , if they can Pay )

#1 + #2 = Get Cheaper, ( But Reliable ) F16s , add Squadrons Quick , Cheap and Easy !

Centi Kyu ho rahe ho yaar. To Sum Up :

#1. F16 , a tested Platform , PAF in love with F16
#2. No Money in Pakistan ( Pakistan Can get J10s , J11s , Rafale , if they can Pay )

#1 + #2 = Get Cheaper, ( But Reliable ) F16s , add Squadrons Quick , Cheap and Easy !
Try telling that to your fellow indians:enjoy:

There is no rocket science in the strategy, however you described it all wrong.
Pakistan has investments, skills, operations, roles and weapons developed for F-16 platform, which we have to utilize and maintain, until we are done producing JF-17 in large numbers.
It is expected that in future, J-17 will evolve further and F-16 will fade away, this is why PAF is not investing in brand new F-16.

Fade away? You bet. F-16 begun life in late 1960s. First flight was in 1974. The Viper is soon going to celebrate 50th birthday so I reckon this old warbird needs to retire soon ......

Ps. Despite all the dramabazi over the Thunder I suspect when "shite hits the fan" and PAF pilots have to face the latest Indian Sukhoi's they would prefer being in a F-16. Even today at the tip of PAF's spear is the old reliable Viper that we first got in 1983 .....

I know next to nothing about aircraft but i notice the Chinese PLAAF has equipped it's frontline squadrons with Sukhoi's as opposed to the Thunder ....

F-16 beats JF17 in agility, range and max payload.

Oh yeh? Big deal. Our Thunder beats the Viper in "dramabazi"
So there .... :P

F-16 beats JF17 in agility, range and max payload.

Agility cannot be so bluntly awarded to F-16 vs. JF-17, but yes in range and payload F-16 is winner, again when flying with full load F-16 looses its agility vs. JF-17 with full load.
JF-17 have IFR, which older F-16 have not, hence the range is circumvented.
JF-17 turn around time is shorter than F-16, hence more payload edge is circumvented too.
JF-17 can be overhauled far quickly and cheaply than F-16, giving more operational readiness.
JF-17 have no operational limitations or monitoring by third parties, which unfortunately is always the case with F-16.
JF-17 in present state is far modern and advance, in avionics and weapon integration, than any F-16 of older than blk 52.
JF-17 have array of weopans integrated with it, which makes it true multirole and force multiplier.
JF-17 can be a game changer for any airforce of the world, which older F-16 can never be.
JF-17 have more potential to grow than F-16, soon JF-17 will be having AESA, which will give it an edge above any F-16 Pakistan have in its inventory.
Pilots are more comfortable flying JF-17 as compare F-16, which makes a huge difference in maneuvering, which world has any way seen during the airshows.
At the same time Pakistan has mastered the skills of flying F-16, we also know its strengths and weaknesses, we have infrstructure, support services, which we like to exploit to max. and with more F-16 it's operation gets cheaper. Its not only the performance reasons, which compels PAF to continue with F-16, for the time being and there's a bit of nostalgia involved too.

Last edited:
OTTOMAN

Your correct JF17 is cheaper, no operational sanctions/limitations, You are correct.

Regarding the rest of your rant PLEASE don't suggest that in front of the 25 nations currently using F16 they will laugh you out of the room.

F16 is bigger plane, better TWR, bigger loads and range, better weapons, better rardars JHMC system and the finest combat record on the planet.

JF17 is flown by nobody NOT even CHINA who built and designed the plane.

So far evaluated by six nations not one buyer.

And nobody that may be considered a serious air power..

JF17 will not ever match or replace the F16 in any air force.

But for Pakistan a very modest country in terms of finances its a nice little option to increase your numbers.

F-16 has higher T/W ratio and higher g rate. Also F-16 is much faster.

This is also true with MLU F-16 having upgraded engines.
Still, JF-17 is not far behind in T/W ratio and what g figures are you comparing?

OTTOMAN

Your correct JF17 is cheaper, no operational sanctions/limitations, You are correct.

Regarding the rest of your rant PLEASE don't suggest that in front of the 25 nations currently using F16 they will laugh you out of the room.

F16 is bigger plane, better TWR, bigger loads and range, better weapons, better rardars JHMC system and the finest combat record on the planet.

JF17 is flown by nobody NOT even CHINA who built and designed the plane.

So far evaluated by six nations not one buyer.

And nobody that may be considered a serious air power..

JF17 will not ever match or replace the F16 in any air force.

But for Pakistan a very modest country in terms of finances its a nice little option to increase your numbers.

Are you reading my post? Where did I mention 'cheap'? don't credit me of what is not my doing!

Pakistan is modest country ... indeed a great shame to live with :disagree:

25 nations may be flying F-16 but non will be impressed by the dialogues, with little knowledge of english.

Make comparison with parameters and objectively or disappear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom