What's new

Narendra Modi addressing the India Today Coclave 2013

5 Reasons why I loved hearing Modi at India Today Conclave - Oneindia News

Here are my 5 quick reasons why I feel Modi's speech at the India Today conclave was spectacular, articulate, coherent and a speech that is expected from a true leader

Reason 1- Aspiration and Development, not crumb throwing and populism is Governance!
Modi's take on NREGA early on in his speech gave us a wonderful insight into how the man thinks as far as matters of Governance are concerned. He showed us that a change in mindset is all it takes to deliver to the people. He asked why couldn't those in power term the NREGA as a ‘Development Guarantee Scheme' instead of merely an employment guarantee scheme. Modi hit the nail on the head when he said that it is not until we integrate the people and convince them that they are working for the nation that we will see tangible results.

Reason 2- He went where no leader even thinks of going

When was the last (infact even the first time) you heard of a political leader advocate privatization and reforms in a polity where good economics is believed to be bad politics? The point Modi made about Railways is no small point. Apart from good economics, this is also a sneak peak into the reformist mind of Modi. For years, we have failed to add quality, comfort or dignity in our trains. Tracks are not added, stations are in a mess and the sufferers remain the common man. It is a decade since parochial Railway Ministers have diverted trains and other allocations to their home states. In his speech, Modi challenged this very point! I was happy to hear that there is still a leader who is calling for bold reforms in a sphere that concerns the poorest of the poor in this country. More power to him! His answer to Sandeep Bamzai on privatization was also extremely nuanced. While reaffirming that Governments have no business to be in business, Modi also said that if there is a problem with our PSUs, it must be sorted. And this is what he in Gujarat has done- not only are the state's PSUs shining but also draws maximum private sector investment contributing to the growth of the nation.

Reason 3- It is always India first!

If there was one underlying theme in Modi's speech, it was national regeneration. Modi spoke not as a Gujarati, or a person of X, Y or Z interest group but as an Indian! He put it very categorically that India needs friendly relations with her neighbours but that cannot be at the cost of our interests. By stressing on his dream to make India self reliant in producing weapons, Modi was both dreaming of a self-sufficient India and talking of ridding the nation from the web of dirty arms dealers, who along with select politicians have put a few million dollars above the pride of the nation.

Reason 4- Because he remained willing to engage

When I first tuned into Modi's speech I thought it will be a short affair. There will be a speech followed by a few questions and we all would go home. I was proved horribly wrong. Not only did Modi speak, he spoke in style and at the same time he took questions with finesse and answered them with great detail. In a nation where the ruling family is not ready to engage and where a Prime Minister has hardly spoken, Modi is a breath of fresh air. I have not seen a single leader either at the Centre or in the states that is willing to engage with people so comprehensively as Modi did! Be it economics, or the cottage industry's favourite riots question, Modi appeared as a leader willing to engage and answer questions. His answer to Javed Ansari's unnecessary point on riots was something I really enjoyed hearing. When the courts and the people have given their answer not once but a large number of times, why are a handful of armchair activists hounding him! His answer to Punya Prasoon Vajpayee's question on the inherently democratic framework of the BJP exemplifies just the class Modi is made of.

Reason 5- And most importantly, because everything he said was based on facts not hyperbole

When Rahul Kanwal tried to ask Modi on whether his Mother thought he would be Prime Minister, Modi simply said this is a discussion on development, Mothers and Fathers simply do not figure! That is NAMO for you- no sob stories on power being poison, no mother weeping, only work speaks. Each and every point Modi made was backed with facts. Be it a plan for solid waste management, be it the revolutionary canal top solar power project, Modi backed every point he made with statistics. No one can say Modi did not come prepared; he was prepared far to well. The movie he showed before starting his speech added the much needed perspective to the discussion and gave us a fantastic idea on how Gujarat is developing.

Thank you @Bhairava. You have summarized his speech, Q & A session in a well composed manner. I had watched his whole speech and answers to various questions last night. I must say, If we as a nation can't give him a chance to lead, then we are loosing an opportunity to have a great leader for India at world stage. Some other points on FDI, Foreign relation and defence were equally impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Modi managed to change your perception somewhat. & when the time comes, I'm sure rest of your reservations towards him will soon be history! :)

I too liked his speech, but I didn't like it when he refused to say whether he regret 2002 riots or do you take moral responsibility as the chief minister ?
he completely refused to comment, or even say he regret the incident, I failed to see why he did so.

I too liked his speech, but I didn't like it when he refused to say whether he regret 2002 riots or do you take moral responsibility as the chief minister ?
he completely refused to comment, or even say he regret the incident, I decided to see why he did so.

If you go through his speech, he replied," I don't need to reply this as Supreme Court of India , Me and of course Public have given reply to it a many times. Then One shout came from the crowd- "Are you scared of replying on this topic, He replied with a calm face but athoracative voice-, I have seen game played by you people since 10 years, If I am scared, I would not be here. p.s. before starting of conclave, when Rahul Kanwal asked him about his T&C for Q&A session, he told him, " No T&C..

he completely refused to comment, or even say he regret the incident, I failed to see why he did so.

Modi ne 2002 ke dango ke liye mafi mangi:Exclusive News

Kya modi ki maafi kafi hogi ? BIG DEBATE

Will Narendra Modi's sorry satisfy muslims ? : Newshour debate

And the whole focus will be on 2002 rather than Development

If you go through his speech, he replied," I don't need to reply this as Supreme Court of India , Me and of course Public have given reply to it a many times. Then One shout came from the crowd- "Are you scared of replying on this topic, He replied with a calm face but athoracative voice-, I have seen game played by you people since 10 years, If I am scared, I would not be here. p.s. before starting of conclave, when Rahul Kanwal asked him about his T&C for Q&A session, he told him, " No T&C..

did he expressed regret or taken moral responsibility in his past statements, if yes post a link.

Can't understand this fascination behind getting Modi to take the moral responsibility or regret the 2002 riots. Ofcourse he is not going to do that. 'cause the moment he does.. everyone will pounce on that & pronounce him guilty as charged! & this is what his detractors are waiting for. Didn't we have riots before? When was the last time Congress took moral responsibility for any of the riots took place under their watch?

Let me list a few of those riots here:

1964 Rourkela & Jemshedpur communal riots in which more than 2000 people killed
1967 Ranchi communal riots, more than 200 killd
1969 Ahmedabad communal riots, more than 500 killed
1980 Moradabad communal riots, more than 2000mkilled
1984 Delhi communal riots, more than 2700 killed
1970 bhiwandi / 1979 Jamshedpur / 1984 bhiwandi / 1985 Ahmedabad / 1986 Ahmedabad / 1987 Meerut / 1983 Assam... & many more.

All above riots took place under congress watch.. & for howmany of those riots did Congress or any of their leader take moral responsibility?

did he expressed regret or taken moral responsibility in his past statements, if yes post a link.

And, Can you tell me , why he should take moral responsibility or feel regret? Did he conspired the riots? He did his best to prevent the riots, still people feels he is wrong , then problem is not with Modi, but with the perception , you have.

And, Can you tell me , why he should take moral responsibility or feel regret? Did he conspired the riots? He did his best to prevent the riots, still people feels he is wrong , then problem is not with Modi, but with the perception , you have.

so it's a no ?
one doesn't need to be the one who did the riot or conspired the riot to express regret for a sad incident happened when he was that chief minister, many ministers have resigned from post when something terrible happened under his ministry, I didn't ask his resignation, but I expect a statement from him that " it was unfortunate ".. that all.

In his 2004 spech "" 2004 mein main ne ek interview mein kaha tha ke mujhe maaf kyon karna chahiye? Agar meri sarkar ne ye sab karaya hai, to use beech chorahe par phansi lagni chahiye. Aur aisi phansi deni chahiye ke aglay 100 saal tak kisi hukumraan ko aisa paap karne ki himmat na ho ""

"" Jo log maaf karne ki baat kar rahe hain, woh gunah ko badhawa de rahe hain. Agar Modi ne gunah kiya hai to usey phansi par latka do. Lekin imandari say koshish karne ke bawajood agar siyasi wajuhat ki buniyad par Modi ko gali deni hai, to uska mere paas koi jawab nahin hai.”"

Got your ans why he is not saying sorry ? He should not say sorry. His sorry ll not do anything, even media and congress ll start saying that modi felt guilty that's why he said sorry.
N this is not about modi. This is about Indians.
Don't blame modi if modi does not come as pm in future. Blame Indians for this.

so it's a no ?
one doesn't need to be the one who did the riot or conspired the riot to express regret for a sad incident happened when he was that chief minister, many ministers have resigned from post when something terrible happened under his ministry, I didn't ask his resignation, but I expect a statement from him that " it was unfortunate ".. that all.

And what they did after doing resignation ?? Ohh they joined new department in cabinet or somewhere else.
He is CM. Cm resignation matters a lot. If India does not get modi as PM , then let it be. Let Indian get fu#kted in name of secularism because Indian want to get fu#ked in that way. At least GUjrati people are happy to have him as CM.

@JanjaWeed 1984 Delhi wasn't communal riot. It was Sikh genocide.

When people ignores Supreme Court verdict, 500 pages of SIT report, Human Rights Watch 2013 mentions that faith in justice to minorities has get a boost with 75 convictions including a BJP minister and extremist leader sent to jail on 2002 riots, ignores all the great work he has done, revolutionize the governance done in India and are hell bent to ask same question over and over again even after repeated answers given by him, I think people should move on.

Enough of this idiotic obsession over apology. He already said, "Hang me but I won't say sorry".

@JanjaWeed 1984 Delhi wasn't communal riots. It was Sikh genocide.

& individuals who are responsible for those genocide are protected with Z+ security despite them not heading any govt portfolio. & their masters have the audacity to give moral lectures to others! Hypocrisy of the highest order!:hitwall:

@everybody
I did not say he should resign
I didn't even ask a sorry..
I only asked for a regret expressed for that unfortunate incident, and I believe it's not too much to ask.
one more thing I want to ask is I have seen MLA'S Confession in front of tv camera(tehalka I guess, and I know what they are but still ) what happened to those tapes, any link to the news about that, whether it's proven fake or not ?

& individuals who are responsible for those genocide are protected with Z+ security despite them not heading any govt portfolio. & their masters have the audacity to give moral lectures to others! Hypocrisy of the highest order!:hitwall:
Worst thing is that not a single member of Gandhi family has ever apologized for it and they made a Sikh PM to apologize on behalf of Congress.:angry:

Back
Top Bottom