What's new

Nawaz Sharif, (negotiate with the Pakistani Taliban )

If this idiot ever becomes Pakistan president, I'll shoot myself.

...In our case America’s response to military coups has followed a strikingly similar pattern: initial condemnation or criticism, then endorsement and finally whole-hearted support for the junta in question. Mr Berman is no doubt sincere when he says that the US wants to strengthen democratic institutions in Pakistan. But what guarantee do Pakistanis have that the self-styled champion of democracy will not play the same old game if the tide somehow turns? Can the US confirm in no uncertain terms that it will never support a Pakistani dictator again irrespective of circumstances?

On 29 August 1998 then Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif proposed a law to create an Islamic order in Pakistan and establish a legal system based on the Quran and the Sunnat.[7] Sharif told Pakistanis that the proposed Shariat Bill was a charter of duties and not power. This came a week after Sharif informally announced the measure during the commemoration the late President Zia ul-Haq's 10-year death anniversary on 17 August. On 8 October 1998 Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif presented the Shariat Bill in the National Assembly. The Cabinet decided to present the bill on 9 October, after removing some of its controversial aspects.[8][9] Had he succeeded, the existing civil code would have been replaced by the Sharia, and Nawaz Sharif would have been declared the Amir-ul-Momineen, or Commander of the Faithful, an archaic caliphate-era title that would have given him absolute power[10]...On 16 January 1999 the Nawaz Sharif Government imposed Islamic law in the traditional tribal areas of the north-west straddling the Pakistan-Afghanistan border, vowing to impose it throughout the country.[12] However, the amendment failed in the senate -

I never gave much credence to the theory that Sharif was working hand-in-glove with the Pakistani Taliban - until today. No, I don't know what America would do in case Pakistan re-elected as president a man whose demonstrated democratic philosophy is one-man-one-vote-just-once. But at a guess, Sharif would have to worry about his near-by Pakistanis much more than us distant Americans.

Solomon2

Nawaz Sharif does not seem to be willing to toe the line like the toy boys Zardari and Rehman Malik; he could be in for surprises.

Army too is hounding Nawaz Sharif, pushing him to accede to US demands for operations in Punjab.

Since Army has no internal corrective mechanism to refuse an unlawful command; as long as the top guy is in line with the US you got nothing to worry.

**** Isi playing a gr8 role to do the work for america in this region and zardari works for Isi so dont worry zardari will be there till 2013 and taliban will be no more due to alliance of CIA and ISI..

Nawaz sharif inspite of being Dmn witted has come out of this process amore consistent leader than Zardari , who has back tracked on everything he has said. Also the fact that inspite of having had ample chances of inciting riots and problems in Punjab and destabilizing the government , he has not done so in the greater interest of the country.
As to the topic of negotiations with the taliban, I am sorry to rock the boat by saying that we will have to negotiate. However, unlike last time, where we had not had a position of strength, this time round PA has a different position , and the terms of negotiations can be much more in our favour.For national builup, we need peace and an environment where people can work without fear of blasts and suicide bombers.Irrespective of how many raids and army adventures, you will not be able to stop this. the longer you leave this the more problematic it will become, so I think it is wise that we negotiate with them on our terms, ie no outisders, tangible army presence in their areas to imose the conditions of the accord and severe reprisals in case of breaking their accord. There is ample evidence from the festering fueds in Egypt and Ireland that you cannot force a party of people hell bent on causing trouble just by use of force.Americans are learning this the hard way in Afghanistan and perviously in Viet nam, and also in Iraq. So whether we like it or not we will have to negotiate a truce and clear the area from outsiders and restore peace and calm in our country.
Araz

One more thing-
Pak Army should resist an outside pressure when negotiating with the people who have lost the right way i.e. call it whatever you want. Faqeroon ki tarhan jhukna nahi---

Afghan Jirga Backs Call For Peace Talks With Taliban. So this thing is in the air in Afghanistan too

Since Army has no internal corrective mechanism to refuse an unlawful command -
Making the JAG subject to parliamentary confirmation and review would be a big step forward for Pakistan; the armed forces could no longer be a law unto themselves.

Keeping your hatred for Nawaz Sharif aside, he has taken a wrong logic saying that if US can consider dialogue with Taliban, why can't Pakistani Govt. Fact of the matter is that US/NATO forces are invaders.......................................... The terrorists in Pakistan, on the other hand, are not fighting to free their land from invaders but they are rebels

PS: I have no sympathy for Afghan Taliban as far as their terrorist and inhumane pseudo religious philosophy is concerned.

very nicely put
I couldn’t have said better than that

Negotiating with these terrorists will set a precedent for robbers, rapists and proclaimed offenders which government cant find or capture
Would it also want to negotiate with such criminals?

Then why bend down to the terror if these terrorists? Other nations have seen even worse in history. Remember Hannibal destroying Roman city by city he defeated the Roman military but couldn’t defeat the will of the Roman people and they refused to accept defeat. Rest is history Romans decimated Carthage

My disliking for Nawaz aside I think he is a smart politician & only saying what pleases his Taliban sympathising voters from Punjab

**** Isi playing a gr8 role to do the work for america in this region and zardari works for Isi so dont worry zardari will be there till 2013 and taliban will be no more due to alliance of CIA and ISI..

Amen to that

the soomer these scum taliban vanish from the planet the better

Solomon2

Nawaz Sharif does not seem to be willing to toe the line like the toy boys Zardari and Rehman Malik; he could be in for surprises.
That the PML-N may have secret sympathies for terrorists and extremists is not really a secret at the moment.
Army too is hounding Nawaz Sharif, pushing him to accede to US demands for operations in Punjab.

Since Army has no internal corrective mechanism to refuse an unlawful command; as long as the top guy is in line with the US you got nothing to worry.
Where there are terrorists there is a need for 'operations', military or police based, depending upon the situation on the ground. The lack of operations and the PML-N's continued slack approach towards tackling extremists and terrorists is precisely why places like the Data Darbar were targeted and will continue to be targeted.

The Army is no issuing any 'unlawful commands', the PML-N is making a mockery of the law, and putting the lives of innocent people at risk, by allowing terrorist organizations and terrorists to operate freely.

Solomon2

Neither Americans are banking on Nawaz keeping in view how much an idiot he has sans brains.

And BTW if US wants they wont need nod of Nawaz for any operation .

And dont believe that Nawaz has any balls to stand up to US

The problem with Nawaz is that he fears both. America and Taliban.

:disagree:

please add GHQ as well , what you end up with is someone who is fearful and usually sleeping in the Raiwind palace or in the comforts of London ... from being the prime minister of nuclear Pakistan once to the leader of a 'fake degree race' winner party ...

I think When US will be looking for a deal , People like Nawaz can offer their services being connected to both sides (middle man) for the deal.

Back
Top Bottom