What's new

No threat to democracy, assures Pakistan Army chief

Gen. Kayani said rumours of a military takeover were false and were being spread to divert attention from the real issues facing the country

- army is not going to step in but 'issues' remain.

Better Pakistan adopt new policy like both democratic party and military can rule the country one after other. First 5yrs democratic rule next term military then again democratic so on. I think its not a bad idea and it may satisfy power hunger at all levels.
:what::what::what:
Completely out-of-box idea..
If this is possible, then India could have made it to 5 trillion $ economy and today no " animal hidden for last billion year" would have pose threat to us..

the way things are in PK currently....
NO gas
NO electricity
Rising inflation
Rising un-employment
NO law and order
NO economic activity
Falling reserves
Failing institutions...PIA...Railways....Wapda.....Steel Mill....

the army would have taken-over long time ago!!!!!

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

............... then can the level of understanding and intelligence and discourse can rightfully be expected to be much higher?

sure why not...!!!

i like the way you guys give a spin to the words. You know what, after the NATO attack on the Pakistani checkposts, the US State Dept concluded as a post-management strategy that the President should apologies for the act, but it was the Pentagon and the guys in Langley who opposed the idea and a formal apology was never delivered, instead another game was spun, as shown by the inquiry report. So, guess what, i didnt see you or your ilks speaking of this (the US military and intelligence) as being ultra-vires and the US lacking 'complete democracy',......hypocrisy right?
You didn't see it because we were discussing Pakistan and NOT the US of A.
Elementary, Dr Watson! :pop:

the way things are in PK currently....
NO gas
NO electricity
Rising inflation
Rising un-employment
NO law and order
NO economic activity
Falling reserves
Failing institutions...PIA...Railways....Wapda.....Steel Mill....

the army would have taken-over long time ago!!!!!

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

sure why not...!!!

All the socioeconomic issues that you list pose serious and imminent risks to the state itself, no matter who is in charge.

It doesn't seem that there's complete democracy in Pakistan otherwise why would the defence minister say that the government has no control over the Army/ISI?

It is vital to promote legislative measures which establish the fundamental basis for the correct relationship between the Army and civil society within a democratic system, and the necessary subordination of the Army to civilian rule. The Army should accept that sovereignty resides in the people of Pakistan. As a consequence, the Army should reconcile itself to the mechanisms established in the Constitution.

The Army needs to be subordinate to political power, which emanates from the ballot box through the procedures established by the Constitution and should show respect for the Constitution in all its aspects.

Finally, the Army needs to be apolitical. It should remain at the margins of party politics and respect all those political forces legally constituted.

I don't think this is happening in Pakistan. The equation between the Army and the political structure does need fine tuning. Otherwise it cannot be called a democracy in the true sense.

What you will say about fu**g politicians to whom people have elected as their representative - They complete 4 out of 5 years term - Why didn't they highlighted this issue in 4 years? Why they were sticked to ministries if they didn't have control on it? on other hand in these 4 years they have broken records of corruption, destroyed national institutes and destroyed the economy. Now as elections are approaching and they want to put blames of all their failure on Army.

What about Mr. 10% who want to stick to the presidency and for this purpose he is conspiring against his own army?

PPP govt. is just trying to save the a$$ of ghadari.

And yes their govt. has threat not from PA but peoples of Pakistan who are sick of them.

PS: IMO we must let PPP govt. to complete their term so that they don't have excuse of their failure and ghadari must be hanged by his testicles (if there are any).

You didn't see it because we were discussing Pakistan and NOT the US of A.
Elementary, Dr Watson! :pop:
So, the best you could do was, some more hypocrisy. Yeah, yeah, i get it, not your fault.

All the socioeconomic issues that you list pose serious and imminent risks to the state itself, no matter who is in charge.

at this point in time its the civilians - oh! i forgot to mention the PKR 4 Trillion over-draft in the last 4 years!!! looks like the people will be paying that long after these carpetbeggars escape to wherever they will escape...

at this point in time its the civilians - oh! i forgot to mention the PKR 4 Trillion over-draft in the last 4 years!!! looks like the people will be paying that long after these carpetbeggars escape to wherever they will escape...

With all due respect, this is like arguing over who lit the fire while the house burns down around us, and insisting they put it out too.

"Tum nay aag lagaye hey, tum hee bujhaao!"

Let us put out the fire first and then see.

آرمی واقعی بہت بری ہے، اس بار انھوں نے ایک بار پھر جمہوری حکومت کو سیاسی شہادت کا موقع نہ دے کرسیاسی اداکاروں کے لئے دوبارہ سیاست میں آنے کا سیاسی راستہ روک دیا۔۔۔ افسوس اب کوں جمہوریت بیچے گا۔۔۔
اب ہمارے اینکرز کیا بیچین گے اور خود کو تجزیہ نگار کیسے کہلائیں گے۔۔۔ ریٹنگ کیسے آئے گی۔۔۔۔اب کیسے پتہ چلے گا کہ کون انٹی لیکچول ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔

The way most members here speak for the intentions and plans of the army, it seems half of them are working for the COAS directly..:D
I believe there are many astute observers of the military leadership here (not necessarily everyone who comments) and there is a lot of input on and off the forum (from individuals - friends, relatives, acquaintances, who have more direct contact with the military leadership and/or those around it) that allows for a good understanding of the mindset of the military leadership (kayani specifically) when it comes to this issue.

Please keep in mind that 'coup rumors' have been going around since the PPP took power in 2008 - after every screw-up of the PPP and every self-inflicted crises, the PPP and the media have been up in arms (for different reasons) forecasting 'military takeovers'.

Why would this particular time be different, when there is just a little over a year left before the elections?

Kayani-Zardari-Gilani-EPA-640x480.jpg

From the image:

GILLANI: But Mr. President, I have no clue on how to govern properly!

ZARDARI: What is this fool blabbering about? I wonder if I can distract him if I flash my smile at him ...

KAYANI: I wonder if anyone would notice if I replaced them with two chimps in suits .... probably, people would start wondering how governance improved all of a sudden ...

Kiyani's statement shows COAS's weakened position in the equation !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom