What's new

One in four Americans 'doesn't know the Earth orbits the Sun' and only half believe in evolution

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
With the possible exception of 'is the earth flat?' it is (according to Discovery magazine at least) the most basic question in science: 'does the earth orbit the sun?'

The good news is that 74 per cent of Americans know the answer.

The very bad news is that means 26 per cent really don't.

These results, which appear in the National Science Foundation (NSF) survey of 2,200 Americans, will form part of a report set to be presented to Barack Obama and lawmakers in congress, and are likely to once again raise the issue of educational standards in the United States.

Other startling results from the survey included that only 39 per cent of Americans believe "the universe began with a huge explosion". And fewer than half of the people surveyed (48 per cent) agreed that "human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals".

Meanwhile, 51 per cent of Americans knew that antibiotics don't kill viruses.

The study also demonstrated that a total of 42 per cent of Americans thought astrology was either "very scientific" or "sort of scientific".

The survey, as reported by Agence France-Presse, is carried out every couple of years in order to analyse whether America is making educational progress.

Despite the somewhat negative findings of the study there is a significant glimmer of hope.

The survey revealed that nearly 90 per cent of Americans believed the benefits of science outweigh any dangers. 30 per cent believe science deserves more funding from government, and around 90 per cent expressed an interest in learning about medical discoveries.

One in four Americans 'doesn't know the Earth orbits the Sun' and only half believe in evolution - Science - News - The Independent
well, Americans believe they are the center to everything and everything revolves around them!!

Last edited:
We must liberate JEW USA who don't have enough democracy and knowledge

What would be the reason for this gap? They have world's best universities, their country have been pioneer in engineering and technology.But why is this ignorance,still? I am not sure but once I read that almost 75% of them believe in supernatural beings.

buddy...if it was in india I would have believed it....being low on literacy front ...but america too....you need to watch these videos to see.....what a full literate nation is made up of.....

They are just like my grand father who died in 1980, who believed Earth is center to sun and "Basuki Snake" is holding earth tight and whenever it moves there is earthquake!!. I am sad that I could not remove that from his head and also he never believed humans have gone to moon!!.

He would get angry with me and my brother if the argument heated up!!

Last edited:
They are just like my grand father who dies in 1980, who believed Earth is center to sun and "Basuki Snake" is holding earth tight and whenever it moves there is earthquake!!. I am sad that I could not remove that from his head and also he never believed humans have gone to moon!!.

He would get angry with me and my brother if the argument heated up!!
ha ha ha...
old men with rigid mind are always like that.......they are stubborn in their believes, so , it's useless to argue with them....
I too had same short of experience with my late grandfather.......
generally speaking why would they believe ..... they don't have to go any where or no curiosity .....and it's hard to change your believes once things are set in your mind.....for that you need to format your old data and upload the new one...now that some task for old people...:tup:

its the religion that is fuc*ing their brains, americans are not more or less smart than rest of us.
US is the most religious country in western world.

Yeah .. Church must ruling their brain cells that's why ..

Back
Top Bottom