What's new

PAF Single engined Doctrine Good or Bad.

Storm Force

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
I have just seen pictures of Thunder & J10 Together on another thread and they look very smart.

fc20 JF17 & f16 will be the 3 primary fighters of the PAF between 2012-2020. One thing stands out in that the PAF have not thought to mix up the fleet with heavier more expensive twin engined option.

The MMRCA is on the VERGE and in 3 weeks the winner will be annouced either twin engined typhoon or twin engined rafale.

IT means that over the same period 2012-2020 IAF will field 3 twin engined types in SU30MKI MMRCA & MIG29SMT/K and 2 single engined in LCA/MIRAGE2000.

The range, payload,no of jammers, size of aesa radar and flexibility of the twin engined type is a MASSIVE advantage.

For example

MBDA are offering india the TARUS cruise missle as a standoff weapon with Typhoon. 300km range
Rafale is offering the SCALP cruise missle
SU30MKI are being upgraded to carry brahmos on their super sukhoi,s

Have PAF missed a trick in going for ALL single engined options onlly and severly limiting their OPERATIONAL ENVELOPE.

I have looked at al the top air forces in the world they nearly all carry a twin engined option

China J11/SU30/27 & FC20 /J10
Europe typhoon & rafale tornado
Saudi typhoon & f15
Israel F15 & F16
Japan F15 & F16
Korea F15 & F16

Twin engined fighters give you so much in options and range both over land & sea.

IMAGINE a 50 fleet of J11 flankers/ or rafales backing the thunders & f16s with cruise missles strapped totheir bellys.

PAF has no doctrine calling for a single-engine/dual-engine aircraft. We have had both. F-6 was a twin-engined aircraft and we had the largest fleet of these in the entire PAF inventory.

The real and only issue is that of funds and requirements. If the requirements call for greater survivability, or thrust that only a two seater aircraft provide and we can afford the platform, then PAF would buy it.

I have looked at al the top air forces in the world they nearly all carry a twin engined option

China J11/SU30/27 & FC20 /J10
Europe typhoon & rafale tornado
Saudi typhoon & f15
Israel F15 & F16
Japan F15 & F16
Korea F15 & F16

Twin engined fighters give you so much in options and range both over land & sea.

IMAGINE a 50 fleet of J11 flankers/ or rafales backing the thunders & f16s with cruise missles strapped totheir bellys.

And imagine the whole amount of money we will need to spend on these.We are a cash thrived country.Also these three (F-16s,J-10Bs & JFTs) will be enough for PAF to reach where they want to...No more ambitions ,no more toys.

you should not waste time on PAF dear we have already some very nice brains in Institute of Strategic Studies, Research and Analysis they are taking salary for think and plan . as i know they think 100000000 times better then you .:D

Twin engines are much more difficult to run. They have got double maintainance and fuel consumption.
Plus, we are happy with what we have.

F-18 was offered to Pakistan Air Force, but it is the twin engines that weren't entertained. We have limited funds currently, and we may not afford them.

Enough said I suppose.

I believe this has been discussed in detail before again and again.
If the PAF has made a mistake, so has the USAF, the RAF, the TuAF, the RAAF.. and a few other nations who have signed onto the F-35, which will have more flexibility, operational capability, and LO than any MMRCA contender at its BEST.
Had the MMRCA been the gripen would your opinion still be the same?
Perhaps you should look up the operational needs.. or read about what are operational needs before posting such a question

As far i know

FC20 F16 OR THUNDER cannot carry a cruise missle. They can carry only light loads

To provide long range air cover over sea PAF will need refullers and this will limit flexibility and lose critical time

finally THE INDIAN military infrastucture & industrial key sites are up to 1000km away and surely out of reach with single engined fighters.

I just think 50 J11 or Rafale would give the indian defense planners a massive headache far more then Falcons or thunders which are essential local air cover and cas types of planes.

Santro

all those nations use twin engined fighters

ie F18 F15 TORNADOS MMRCA & F22 in the future.

I am referring to the mix not suggesting twin engines only

Twin engines are much more difficult to run. They have got double maintainance and fuel consumption.
Plus, we are happy with what we have.

F-18 was offered to Pakistan Air Force, but it is the twin engines that weren't entertained. We have limited funds currently, and we may not afford them.

Enough said I suppose.

F-20 tiger shark was offered also rejected by PAF .

F-20
In 1979, the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan. The violent Soviet invasion brought hundreds of thousands of Afghan refugees to Pakistan. With the war being critical to Pakistan's national sovereignty and integrity, the PAF once again sought out modernization, including the procurement of new generation fighter aircraft. France offered its new Mirage 2000, while the PAF's senior officers were interested in procuring American F-16 or F-18L fighters. Initially the Americans refused to sell the F-16 or F-18L and instead offered F-20, F-5E/F or A-10 aircraft. Eventually the new Republican administration of Ronald Reagan approved the sale of F-16s to Pakistan, and in 1981 an agreement was made to supply 34 General Dynamics F-16A and 12 F-16B "Fighting Falcon" aircraft to the Pakistan Air Force

Click here to view the original image of 660x440px.
f20i.jpg

As far i know

FC20 F16 OR THUNDER cannot carry a cruise missle. They can carry only light loads

To provide long range air cover over sea PAF will need refullers and this will limit flexibility and lose critical time

finally THE INDIAN military infrastucture & industrial key sites are up to 1000km away and surely out of reach with single engined fighters.

I just think 50 J11 or Rafale would give the indian defense planners a massive headache far more then Falcons or thunders which are essential local air cover and cas types of planes.

Emphasis on the bold part.

you forgot swedish airforce...
all their planes are single engine and they alone trumped the big bad USSR during the vold war.

Santro

all those nations use twin engined fighters

ie F18 F15 TORNADOS MMRCA & F22 in the future.

I am referring to the mix not suggesting twin engines only

So the swedes made a mistake with the gripen too??

As far i know

have u ever herd of RA'AD??

Back
Top Bottom