What's new

Pak looking to extend army chief Kayani's tenure

intelarpit

BANNED
Reaction score
The Pakistani administration is considering creating a new post to ensure that army chief Ashfaq Parvez Kayani will continue to play a crucial role in the military establishment in Pakistan.

The Obama administration regards Kayani as a key ally in the war against terror. As army chief, Kayani also has de-facto control of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal. Pakistan's defence minister Chauhdary Ahmed Mukhtar has said that Kayani was not being considered for an extension, the Financial Times reported.

Kayani could be made the chief of defence staff or could be appointed to the joint chiefs of staff committee. The Pakistan cabinet is curretly exploring ways of giving Kayani direct oversight over the army, navy and air force.

Experts believe that extending Kayani's tenure will create dissatisfaction among the officers who are awaiting a turnover at the upper levels of the Pak army. The extension will also hurt the army's efforts of institution building. Kayani took over as army chief after Pervez Musharraf stepped down in 2007.Kayani previously headed the Inter-Services-Intelligence, Pakistan's spy agency. Pakistan has been under military rule for more than half its existence, since independence. The military is widely regarded as the only working organisation in the country and plays a crucial role in formulating Pakistan's foreign policy.

Kayani's possible sucessors include Lieutenant General Khaleed Wyne who is the Pakistan army's current chief of general staff.

In Pakistan, Kayani has been credited with reducing the army's visible role in politics.He also led the Pakistani army's campaign against the Taliban in Swat and in South Waziristan.

Pak looking to extend army chief Kayani's tenure : Rediff.com India News

thank god
he is the one who can some thing these days i would like to see him until 2012.a true pakistani in current situation.god bless him

thank god
he is the one who can some thing these days i would like to see him until 2012.a true pakistani in current situation.god bless him

It implies that other generals are not equally capable. I think its time for Pakistan to go beyond this culture of extending tenures of generals, presidents, judges, etc... lets focus on institutions. and trust me Kayani is very professional but the ones in waiting may be more capable. We need to trust these guys... Whenever govt made some changes or preferred one over another it has cost the whole country.

It implies that other generals are not equally capable. I think its time for Pakistan to go beyond this culture of extending tenures of generals, presidents, judges, etc... lets focus on institutions. and trust me Kayani is very professional but the ones in waiting may be more capable. We need to trust these guys... Whenever govt made some changes or preferred one over another it has cost the whole country.

You are correct with your point bro, but i think for this critical moment we should stick to someone who is already working on this WOT from a decade and better play it safe by giving him extension and after this war like situation is over Pakistan should go for retiring Kiyani and bring some one else and do all the institution building stuff.:pakistan:

this issue is being turned into a 'political' game by the present civilian govt which is in a 'tussle' with the judiciary over the implementation of the NRO.

the present govt percieves the army to be supporting the judiciary in its present tussle, and would offer the extension to kiyani only if the army in turn supports the PPP govt in its 'war' with the SC.

its getting 'down and dirty'!!!

i like kiyani but i don't think we should change the system for one person...so either give him simple 2 year extention or promote him to joint chiefs of staff chairman but i don't think we should create more offices like chief of defence staff... already our buearocracy is to big....

if one wants improved co-ordination between the tri-services, then the post of CDS is very crucial towards achieving that goal. - it shd be on a 'rotation' basis with the senoir-most ****star officer from amongst the tri-services gets the slot. the post of CJSC is a 'ceremonial' one and shd be abolished.

No matter how good General Kyani is (and he is very good at his job), I think its time to set an example. Besides, Army as an institution will remain as capable as it is now.
IMHO, General Kyani should not go for Extension. This may put all his sincere efforts in jeopardy.

Ashfaq Pervaiz Kiyani is the best COAS in 60 years of our history.... rest of all "BS"

Ashfaq Pervaiz Kiyani is the best COAS in 60 years of our history.... rest of all "BS"

i beg to disagree;

asif nawaz
waheed kakar

were very capable officers - since it was 'peace-time' in their tenure, one didnt get to see the 'road to professionalism' which was set by them and now taken further by kiyani.

I've heard a lot of great things about General Gul Hassan from my grandfather.He was at one time ADC to General Gul Hassan.My grandfather said General Gul Hassan was a very professional officer...General Tikka Khan was also a very good officer but too much hot headed.

Last edited:
a man is above the rules

if it time to change then govt should change the man

no one is above the rules

i beg to disagree;

asif nawaz
waheed kakar

were very capable officers - since it was 'peace-time' in their tenure, one didnt get to see the 'road to professionalism' which was set by them and now taken further by kiyani.

I agreed with you but i am talkin about ACTIVE popular generals in hisotry of Pakistan like Ayub, Yahya, Zia, Musharaf and Parvez Kiayni! in these top popular personalities Ashfaq Parvaiz Kiyani is the BEST!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom