What's new

Pakistan 7th worst country in access to sanitation

I don't believe this exaggerated 79 million figure. The researchers believe Pakistanis, those throw garbage on roads and empty areas just to keep their homes clean, are not interested towards their own cleanliness. This is funny. Although Pakistan lacks public toilets but nearly every Pakistani does own toilet in his house and work place.

I have not been to Karachi ever, but keep hearing that its drowning in its own waste.
khi is worst its a shit hole! id say its worst than india thanks to three mafias ruling it Ppp,mqm and yes bhadur pindi boys!

cuz families do not give proper training to their young ones

this is what Dawn is famous for......

if someone is peeing on wall doesnt mean he dont have proper sanitation facilities. not so many people shits in open in Pakistan
I've never seen anyone shit in the open in Pakistan recently, it's considered taboo and disgusting. I remember as a kid, the really really impoverished used to do it; but that is not the case anymore.

I've never seen anyone shit in the open in Pakistan recently, it's considered taboo and disgusting. I remember as a kid, the really really impoverished used to do it; but that is not the case anymore.

its not about taking a dump, its about people littering and being proud of it. I have never been to Karachi but pindi I remember 25 years ago and today. It has become a city that cannot handle the waste being generated. The people seem so numb about it to ask for it to be cleaned up.

LAHORE: Pakistan is the seventh worst country in terms of access to basic sanitation, as its 42 per cent of the population remains without access to basic sanitation.

A report by WaterAid says 79 million people lack a decent toilet, while 37pc have no system for wastewater disposal, which leads to spread of diseases due to contamination of water and contact with human waste.

The Public Health Engineering Department (PHED), supported by Saaf Sehatmand Pakistan Campaign marked the World Toilet Day in Lahore, where they called attention to these issues.

“Despite the severity of the issue, sanitation remains a low priority area in the country. There is an immediate need to shift focus,” said PHED Secretary Muhammad Khurram Agah.

“One of the SDG targets is to ensure that everyone has access to a safely-managed household toilet by 2030. This makes sanitation central to eradicating extreme poverty,” he said.

The World Toilet Day is about an inspiring action to tackle the global sanitation crisis. In 2013, the UN General Assembly designated Nov 19 as the World Toilet Day. The day is coordinated by the UN-Water in collaboration with governments and partners.

Saaf Sehatmand Pakistan (Clean and Healthy Pakistan), is a five-year large-scale multi-layered national behaviour change campaign on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) that seeks to promote healthy living among the people by improving knowledge, attitudes, and practices related to safe drinking water, better sanitation and improved hygiene.

“Diseases spread by waste water and lack of sanitation increase the financial burden on families. This disadvantages the poorest. There is already a vast disparity in the country in terms of rural-urban access to basic sanitation facilities. If not addressed urgently, this will continue to keep many below the poverty line.

“The government takes ownership of the issue and will continue to work towards addressing this,” said Health P&D member Dr Shabana Haider.

“Improving funding and allocation of resources is at the heart of solving the sanitation and waste water problems in Pakistan. It is encouraging to see the government’s willingness and promise in this regard but more needs to be done to ensure we are able to achieve the SDG for sanitation and waste water management. Unless appropriate funding is diverted to these areas, long term, sustainable gains cannot be made,”said Siddiq Khan, country director of the WaterAid Pakistan.

“Pakistan’s efforts and commitment to improve sanitation need to be lauded. However, apart from sanitation, waste water disposal and treatment are also key in making progress towards the SDGs. For that to be achieved, we need systems that ensure that human waste is contained, transported, treated and disposed of in a safe and sustainable way, said Dr Haider.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1372293

And I thought India was disgusting.
Major General Asif Ghafoor,
"Don't show poor image of Pakistan."

its not about taking a dump, its about people littering and being proud of it. I have never been to Karachi but pindi I remember 25 years ago and today. It has become a city that cannot handle the waste being generated. The people seem so numb about it to ask for it to be cleaned up.
Yes the main issue is littering, I agree.

My father used to tell me of how Sialkot used to be. Such greenery; spots of forests filled with mangoes, apples and pears. Animals like Deers, Urials, Wild Horses, Peacocks and Boars were common sight. The skies of Sialkot were famous for it's vibrant array of birds, especially the colorful parrots and the mountains of Jammu and Kashmir always served as a majestic and beautiful background.

Now Sialkot has turned into concrete jungle, over-population has ruined this country.

Major General Asif Ghafoor,
"Don't show poor image of Pakistan."
As a Pakistani, be honest. Do you really believe that half of the country does not have toilets?

I don't believe this exaggerated 79 million figure. The researchers believe Pakistanis, those throw garbage on roads and empty areas just to keep their homes clean, are not interested towards their own cleanliness. This is funny. Although Pakistan lacks public toilets but nearly every Pakistani does own toilet in his house and work place.
When I was in Pakistan, I noticed more public toilets than here in the United States. Every mosque had public toilets, and there was a mosque at every corner.

The only thing I agree with is the littering issue.

What rubbish. After every square km or two there are toilets adjacent to the mosques and they are open all day long since fajar.

There must be an option of :tdown: dislike for disgusting articles and comments.

Wonder why Pakistan is in 7th place either, we have Mosque (Masjid) in every half kilometer in every area in Pakisatn which have 6 to 8 sanitation space

This Australian guy looks like Baniya to me :)

My father used to tell me of how Sialkot used to be. Such greenery; spots of forests filled with mangoes, apples and pears. Animals like Deers, Urials, Wild Horses, Peacocks and Boars were common sight. The skies of Sialkot were famous for it's vibrant array of birds, especially the colorful parrots and the mountains of Jammu and Kashmir always served as a majestic and beautiful background.

Now Sialkot has turned into concrete jungle, over-population has ruined this country.
Lahore is the same, there were sooo many birds that would sit on the electric cables at dusk and chirp away. It was a beautiful sight and sound. after 11 years I went again and it was all gone. The littering was all time high and the population was incredible high. birds that used to be there is no many species and variations sitting on the cables and chirping away at dusk were no more. There was just no sight of them. I felt very sad.

Wonder what our ulema hazraat have done to solve this issue do they ever talk about these problems in their sermons... Imagine had khadim rizvi used all those thousands of youngsters to clean streets of Pakistan and not create chaos but...
The Mullah's are too concerned with which foot to enter a mosque with, which hand to wash their arse with and how 'fashionable beards and haircuts and music are un-Islamic'.

Lakh di lannat Mullah pay.

Salute to your father.

This shows how have we portrey our stupidly as progress by destroying natural beauty.

Back
Top Bottom