What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

A quick question. Did the South Africans do any work to alter the lack of wiring for the wings weapons bay. If so they might have wing designs and jigs which could be bought. I am just throwing it out there but these things are beyond my knowledge base. Help/ correction will be greatly appreciated. Another question is regarding how they will cool the AESA. Will there be enough space for installation of cooling equipment or will the AESA be Air cooled?
Regards
A
Their Cheetah Jet were capable to launch BVRs, and as per our SA member (forgetting his Forum handel) complete JIGs were available till few years back.

Their Cheetah Jet were capable to launch BVRs, and as per our SA member (forgetting his Forum handel) complete JIGs were available till few years back.
Israelis not only wired the hardpoints to launch BVR/PGMs from those hardpoints, they added two extra HPs at wing roots capable of carrying lightening pod & PGMs for the Colombian Kfir upgrade.
Israeli Kfir & Denel Cheetah programmes were joined at the hip.

Something like this was quite possible had we not gone with Sagem for the Rose2/3 upgrade and instead worked with Denel.

1658865308498.png

1658866454411.png

Last edited:
Is it not possible to convert the F7s & even older mirages into UAVs? Would freeing up the pilot‘s space would make them easier to upgrade?

Israelis not only wired the hardpoints to launch BVR/PGMs from those hardpoints, they added two extra HPs at wing roots capable of carrying lightening pod & PGMs for the Colombian Kfir upgrade.

Something like this was quite possible had we not gone with Sagem for the Rose2/3 upgrade and instead worked with Denel.

View attachment 865487

View attachment 865488
Cue the kickback rumors

Till now JFT and J-10 are not good enough reasons to retire Mirages instead more money will be poured to upgrade them, they should be in reserve now. Necessary upgrades on JFT and down the line on J-10 should have been priority when looking into the future.

Till now JFT and J-10 are not good enough reasons to retire Mirages instead more money will be poured to upgrade them, they should be in reserve now. Necessary upgrades on JFT and down the line on J-10 should have been priority when looking into the future.

Im very, very skeptical about this upgrade. Perhaps they MAY get an AESA, but that could very well be for a ground attack. Think SAR/GMTI stuff, potentially better anti-shipping capabilities too, like how the Indians put an AESA on their Jaguars. With regards to a BVRAAM, this, i am very, very skeptical about. an AAM install. Only the centreline hardpoint can carry missiles like that, making the capability basically useless for that case scenario. The talk of re wiring them could be an option but it will be such an expensive and extensive option that its silly to me, it makes basically zero sense to me to invest to much into these old airframes. What could be of interest is that if we are getting new radars for ground attack/Anti Shipping, could we see them recieve a datalink, to then ditch the dedicated datalink pods which have to be carried by a second mirage, thus doubling the amount of aircraft we have available for strike missions. This seems a little more likely of the already unlikely scenario, if we were to do this, adding an AESA/TDL for ground strike makes the most sense, as opposed to those+ re wiring for ARH AAMs.

Is it not possible to convert the F7s & even older mirages into UAVs? Would freeing up the pilot‘s space would make them easier to upgrade?
Well, China is known to have converted its J-6 Fighters to drones so there is a possibility that the F-7 could be but I'm not too sure about that.

Last edited:

View attachment 865487

View attachment 865488
yaap kafir was more advanced version.

On the other hand If I am not wrong Denel studied a delta wing design for their Cheetah Jet with additional hard point on wingtips but that design was not adopted for some reason

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom