What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

which is the best and the biggest transport plane

Biggest is C 5 and Antonov

but if you compare which one got sold alot IL 78 i think is proven and cost effective heavylifter

@rohailmalhi

I dont think Russia will be willing to sell Pakistan An-124

Yeah i know but is it necessary tht we can only get them from Russia .Many other countries have these planes and we can get it from them by offering good price .............

Military

Russia

* Russian Air Force (25)

Civil

Libya

* Libyan Arab Air Cargo (2)

Russia

* Volga-Dnepr (10)+ 5 on order.
* Polet Airlines (8)+ 5 on order.

Ukraine

* Antonov Airlines (7)

United Arab Emirates

* Maximus Air Cargo (1)

Bulgaria

* AirCargo Bulgaria (1)
* Russian Cargo (1)

well russian equipment is not only of russian now as ukraine is 50 % partnership of many equipments well ukraine sold us state of the art russian muscle T 80UD i dont think so AN 125 will have any probleum to be inducted in PAF but pakistan need heavylifter helicopters now we are short on them both military and civile uses in pakistan needs these heavy choopers

C5 are maintainence nightmares and why do PAF need AN124? We need a varied lift capablity, but I can't think why we would need AN124

Pakistan should go for Y-8, C-27J aircraft. It is more ideal for pk air force. For heavy transport, i think it is hard for pk air force to buy C-17 Globe master. From other hand, IL-76 is more ideal but production delays is really threatening. Look at china acquiring more IL-76.

I say buy more c-130's and more cn-235's its good enough for us although i would say we need heavy lift heli's.

Last edited:
or the CN295!:cheers:

sir in my opinion if we can get C-130 via a reliable supply channel it is the best option.

the ability to take off and land from semi prepared runways, ability to load two time heavier then the CN295 can carry and ability to transport more troops, all give advantage to the C-130.

however if we do not want to risk the unreliability of supplier, the chines Y-9 or even Y-8 are perfect option.

the payload, range and speed all matches that of atleast C-130, with Y-9 reported to e on par with C-130 Super Hercules.
moreover the fact that we will be gtting atleast five Y-8 (four for AWE &C and one for training) makes Y-8 a good option.

what do you suggest?

regards!

sir in my opinion if we can get C-130 via a reliable supply channel it is the best option.

the ability to take off and land from semi prepared runways, ability to load two time heavier then the CN295 can carry and ability to transport more troops, all give advantage to the C-130.

however if we do not want to risk the unreliability of supplier, the chines Y-9 or even Y-8 are perfect option.

the payload, range and speed all matches that of atleast C-130, with Y-9 reported to e on par with C-130 Super Hercules.
moreover the fact that we will be gtting atleast five Y-8 (four for AWE &C and one for training) makes Y-8 a good option.

what do you suggest?

regards!

the Y-8 is being termed the 'poor mans C-130' - depends on PAF requirements - C-130 is a tried and tested platfrom - why change a good thing - many C-130E/H will be available from US EDA if we so desire.:toast_sign:

I think PAF will probably acquire more CN-235 for tactical/short-lift transport purposes, it is a good platform. As for medium-lift, I think it'll end up requesting more used C-130s through EDA.

In the long-term (i.e. after 2025) the PAF could begin replacing its C-130s with a new generation platform, maybe the Embraer KC-390. The benefit of KC-390 is that it can be acquired in both transport and tanker variants, and I believe (not sure yet) be converted between the two roles. PAF can begin replacing C-130s and IL-78s with a single platform 12-15 years from now, thus saving in terms of logistics, maintenance, operation costs, etc. In fact if pursued correctly, PAC could even become an industrial partner and supplier of certain parts and segments of KC-390.

The C-295 would be a good intermediate transport in the short-lift role, but it can also be used as a platform for special-mission aircraft. For example, one of the likely gains from the ZDK03 program with China is acquiring the knowledge and capability to integrate the AEW&C system to a platform of our choice. It is possible that PAF will try equipping an aircraft such as C-295, ATR-72 or even ERJ-145 with the ZDK03 (or a future variant of this system) for both domestic and export purposes. The C-295 (or ATR-72, ERJ-145) could be a potential platform for not only AEW&C, but also ELINT, STAR (Surveillance, Targeting, Acquisition & Reconnaissance), maritime surveillance (replace PN Fokker F27).

Last edited:
I was thinking of that platform C-295 for AWE&C/ESM-ECM
AIR_C-295MP_Chile_Concept_lg.jpg

I think PAF will probably acquire more CN-235 for tactical/short-lift transport purposes, it is a good platform. As for medium-lift, I think it'll end up requesting more used C-130s through EDA.

In the long-term (i.e. after 2025) the PAF could begin replacing its C-130s with a new generation platform, maybe the Embraer KC-390. The benefit of KC-390 is that it can be acquired in both transport and tanker variants, and I believe (not sure yet) be converted between the two roles. PAF can begin replacing C-130s and IL-78s with a single platform 12-15 years from now, thus saving in terms of logistics, maintenance, operation costs, etc. In fact if pursued correctly, PAC could even become an industrial partner and supplier of certain parts and segments of KC-390.

The C-295 would be a good intermediate transport in the short-lift role, but it can also be used as a platform for special-mission aircraft. For example, one of the likely gains from the ZDK03 program with China is acquiring the knowledge and capability to integrate the AEW&C system to a platform of our choice. It is possible that PAF will try equipping an aircraft such as C-295, ATR-72 or even ERJ-145 with the ZDK03 (or a future variant of this system) for both domestic and export purposes. The C-295 (or ATR-72, ERJ-145) could be a potential platform for not only AEW&C, but also ELINT, STAR (Surveillance, Targeting, Acquisition & Reconnaissance), maritime surveillance (replace PN Fokker F27).

Well, i believe we should go with three tier platform system satisfying different roles with efficiency and effectiveness.

CN-235/295 for short range, small payload configuration and other different roles as suitable.

C-130 / Y-9 for medium tactical role, i won't go for putting all the eggs in one basket with C-130s, we need to diversify in this category.

And 6-8 IL-78 MRTTs, which can be used for refueling and heavy duty transport purposes.

Embrarer C-390 is also a good option, and if we can invest in it, then we should, but being from the west, it may be costly as well as prone to sanctions, thus we should play safe. Plus, turbo prop are more fuel efficient compared to jet ones, thus it may have some effect on the operating costs too.

I would second not putting all medium transport eggs i the American basket -- on the other hand, it may be a good idea for Kamra to understand and be capable of reproducing and improving every part of the C130 and the same with the IL76/78.

Is there any genuine interest in the PAF about Embraer Transport?

Embrarer C-390 is also a good option, and if we can invest in it, then we should, but being from the west, it may be costly as well as prone to sanctions, thus we should play safe. Plus, turbo prop are more fuel efficient compared to jet ones, thus it may have some effect on the operating costs too.
To the credit of the Brazilians, they're trying to develop C-390 as a reasonably priced but high performance platform. They realize that the costs and complexities of A400M could go against it in the export market. Another note:

"It is designed to be superior to the C-130," says Neto. "The Brazilian air force could have purchased the C-130J, but this aircraft will do more for less, so that's the challenge we have ahead of us. It's as simple as that. We have a contract to produce a product that will do that job."

FARNBOROUGH: Embraer confident of success with KC-390 airlifter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom