What's new

Pakistan anger at video games that depict country as terrorist haven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perceptron

BANNED
Reaction score
Pakistan anger at video games that depict country as terrorist haven
Pakistani shopkeepers are boycotting two new video games which they say portray the country as a failed state, riddled with terrorism and where security forces are in league with al-Qaeda.
warfighter_jpg_2449229b.jpg

Medal of Honor: Warfighter is a first-person shooter game, where players take on the persona of an American special forces agent and feature ultra realistic graphics
Crilly_60_1768732j.jpg

By Rob Crilly, Islamabad11:48 AM GMT 20 Jan 2013

Both Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Black Ops II are first-person shooter games, where players take on the persona of an American special forces agent and feature ultra realistic graphics.

Terrorism and the role of local security forces are hugely sensitive subjects in Pakistan, which has barely recovered from the shock of discovering that Osama bin Laden was hiding in plain sight, barely 30 miles from the capital Islamabad.

Saleem Memon, president of the All Pakistan CD, DVD, Audio Casette Traders and Manufacturers Association, said he had written to members ordering them not to stock the controversial games after receiving dozens of complaints.

"The problem is that there are things that are against Pakistan and they have included criticism of our army," he said.

"They show the country in a very poor light."

The latest instalment of the Medal of Honor series opens with American Navy Seals coming ashore in Karachi docks on a mission to destroy a black market arms shipment. But when their detonation sets off a second, bigger explosion they realise they have stumbled on a much bigger terrorist plot, sparking a global manhunt.

A chaotic car chase through the city follows amid warnings that the ISI - Pakistan's intelligence agency - is on the way.

Mr Memon added there was a danger children would be brainwashed into thinking foreign agents were at war inside Karachi, possibly leading them into the arms of militants.

"These games show a misleading idea of what is happening in the city. You don't get the CIA all the way through Grand Theft Auto," he said.

The game was developed with help from Seal Team Six, including one member who was on the covert raid to kill Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad in 2011.

That mission – along with the arrest of a CIA agent, Raymond Davis, for shooting dead two men in Lahore – prompted a fresh wave of conspiracy theories in Pakistan about foreign agents roaming the country at will.

At the same time, the country is frequently accused of double dealing, allowing insurgent groups to maintain havens in its border lands despite being a US ally in the war against al-Qaeda and the Taliban.

The second game, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, features a mission in Pakistan to gather intelligence on a Nicaraguan narco-terrorist.

Although shops in all of Pakistan's major cities have been told of the ban, the game was still available on Friday in shops crammed with pirated CDs in the capital Islamabad.

"These sorts of games are my most popular," said one shopkeeper, who asked that the name of his business be withheld for fear he may be singled out as unpatriotic. "The nationalists and the religious ones don't like them but I'm not going to stop selling them."

Well problem with this that Pakistanis love & laugh at is that the video game editors & story writers don't know 2 shuts about Pakistan.

They portray Pakistan as a Arabic speaking country, show our cities looking like an Moroccan city, and show our infrastructure comparable to India's or Sub Saharan Africa's, when in reality this is not the case

Btw I know ur true motive behind this thread :wave:

Reported

If it sells, do the developers really care about what others think. Their main market is Europe and the American public that are the main customers.

Well problem with this that Pakistanis love & laugh at is that the video game editors & story writers don't know 2 shuts about Pakistan.

They portray Pakistan as a Arabic speaking country, show our cities looking like an Moroccan city, and show our infrastructure comparable to India's or Sub Saharan Africa's, when in reality this is not the case

Reported
Very true, Karachi map in Modern Warfare 2 is full of Arabic scripts.

Reported

And neither do the book writers either. Read the rubbish that has been floating around in libraries and book shops across the world and you will know what I am talking about.

Include a feature that lets you play both sides and I can guarantee you a million sales in Pakistan ;) (Well a million players, there might just be a few pirate copies)

How many here would play as the ISI chasing CIA and US special forces through Karachi?

Include a feature that lets you play both sides and I can guarantee you a million sales in Pakistan ;) (Well a million players, there might just be a few pirate copies)

How many here would play as the ISI chasing CIA and US special forces through Karachi?

I think it does have those features... and that's more troublesome.

I mean given a choice between killing Pakistanis and killing the Pakistani killers, a child from Pakistan would pick the latter. You are encouraging someone to identify with bad elements.

I remember reading a report somewhere in the span of 10 years to now... that some Taliban (or AQ) were training using Counter Strike. They had built maps/worlds of certain places and then used them to plan out their ambushes.

With games modernizing, giving more realistic look n feel and polarizing kids into different camps, this is what the future holds for us.

You know even right now, I was playing Counter Strike with a 10 year old Pakistani kid online. We went to some US servers, and you know how you can talk now in these games right? The kid thought it funny to go around shouting "Jihaaaaaaaaaaad" before sniping the opponents of the game who were obviously other American kids. We had a talk, about how that's offensive to BOTH Americans and to us.

He said these Americans come to our servers and call us names.

But that's kids. The games are now deciding for them, are they with the terrorists or with the counter terrorists.

Does it matter to a teenager playing this game in US or Europe ? He won't even Google any of Pakistan's city. Try to be on topic and understand how these games affect the teenagers especially, who are going to be part of decision making of society around the world.

You can argue of non related stuff or you can talk on psychological impact on kids about a nation.

Does it matter to a teenager playing this game in US or Europe ? He won't even Google any of Pakistan's city. Try to be on topic and understand how these games affect the teenagers especially, who are going to be part of decision making of society around the world.

You can argue of non related stuff or you can talk on psychological impact on kids about a nation.

The more you tell kids not to play a game the more they will.

My favorite game was Quake III arena. It had no story. Just a multiplayer element and we got to deathmatch with each other on pure skill level.

Back then we'd go like Single player games with story lines are for pansies.

My favorite game was Quake III arena. It had no story. Just a multiplayer element and we got to deathmatch with each other on pure skill level.
:lol: Well hope you have read or watched programs on effect of video games on kids. Few kids have died because of playing video game. They payed for hours that they forgot to eat, drink and died of exhaustion.

The gaming companies use FMRI to see and study whether the game is addictive enough or not.

My fav. game has been CS 1.6 as I liked strategy and raw gun fight. :D

back in my days the normal difficulty was the tutorial and the hard mode was the actual game.

I wish GTA to consider our north areas as their map for one of its games so I can roam around those beautiful mountains and reach at top of K2 using jetpack , run after markhors using trail bikes, buy residence in chitral and hunza, do sport missons like shandur mela and get a girl friend in kalash :lol: ... okay time to drink tea and get going with real world :coffee:

:lol: Well hope you have read or watched programs on effect of video games on kids. Few kids have died because of playing video game. They payed for hours that they forgot to eat, drink and died of exhaustion.
There was another incident , of a Thai kid who was so fond of playing GTA games that he took his fathers gun and went on a stream to kill dozens of people untill his ammo ran out .

The fact is that Pakistan is a heaven for terrorists.

Just like Jordan in the 1960's became a heaven for all international terrorists, Pakistan is today.

Arabs, Uzbeks, Ugirs, Central Asians, Maghreb Arabs, Sub-Saharan Africans, all are found and present in Pakistan.

So what does Pakistan expect?

When Bin Laden is found living in a mansion near Islamabad.

Pakistan prolly have like 10 people with ps3 and 5 people who buy this game per month. No one cares man. I play MW and BF3, love shooting terrorists in pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom