What's new

Pakistan Army - AIR DEFENCE CORPS - Formation, Structure, Weapons

Air space management is a complex thing.... And here we have assets from PAF and army... Multiple aircraft, types etc.... And on top of it we have multiple AD platforms from all the three services..... And then we have different set of requirements for each one of them....

Example.... AD assets giving protection to an armored column.... They'll be switching on their radars and will be searching for targets 24 /7....now whether PAF likes or or not, it's aircraft are forced to avoid the engagement zones of army AD assets, since the army won't like to switch off their platforms...if it does, it puts our armored forces at risk....

This thing has to go beyond the services.... There should be a separate AD command.. Over and and above the three services under which all AD assets should be concentrated... Till the time services are involved, they all have their own different assets for their own requirements.... Therefore the airspace has so be divided between them and coordination gets lot more importance.
IMO an 'Air Defence Command' (ADC) would only apply to HiADS over land.

The PN's AAW would operate from its ships and, in most cases, the primary objective of the AAW is defending the fleet. The maritime space is self-contained and, if anything, should be more autonomous (e.g., get a naval fighter wing). The more duties we hand off to the PN, the easier it will be to manage affairs over land.

However, a more general point is that forcing everyone to subordinate their LoMADS to an ADC would be very rigid and awkward (e.g., does the PA really need someone else's permission to use a SHORAD system to defend its armoured columns? Isn't it simpler to let each service arm station SAMs to defend their HVTs?)

So, basically, if an ADC can work, it would have to restrict its jurisdiction to (1) over land and (2) only above a certain altitude and range. Personally, I think an ADC could emerge as a way to consolidate funding for long-range and high-altitude SAMs and BMD solutions. It could also fill in gaps left by each of the service arms.

I think a good vision is that everything under a range of 100 km and/or altitude of 19,000 m should belong to the Army, Navy or Air Force. Likewise, the PA, PN and PAF should be responsible for defending their assets, e.g., bases, ships, tanks etc.

On the other hand, the ADC can cover:
  1. anything over 100 km and/or 20,000 m over land (while the PN covers everything at sea)
  2. ballistic missiles / BMD deployment
  3. shielding cities, critical infrastructure, industrial sites and the border.
    1. this would include VSHORAD, SHORAD and LoMADS

I am surprised this is becoming a factor. As soon as army realizes that PAF aircraft are for their own safety, they need to factor in the changes needed to accommodate them. Worse, it shows lack of understanding of how air defence works.

A radar that is switched on 24/7 is a price target for anti-radiation missiles, or even PGMs, because it is also transmitting its location. Moreover, with modern satellite and UAV based solutions, your radars will be passively identified in the IR spectrum. If modern conflicts are any indication, the enemy will target the radars of your armored columns first with PGMs and drones. There are many ways to solve this problem which would require a separate thread. Or, if you prefer to start a Direct Message, I can fill you in on the details there.

In a modern war, you need redundancy, and you need eyes in the skies. Which, for the army, means a drone that acts as an AEWACs. Referring to my past posts on how I want Pakistani generals to create new requirements, a general who understands air defence would raise the requirement of a UAV based AEWACs that can be used by the army, and which is networked with PAF air defence.

I can share further thoughts in a dedicated thread, or in a DM. Let me know.
Passive detection is another way around. And FT-2000 variant is capable of doing that. It will be able to engage indian jamming/EW aircraft or other aircraft with jamming pods by capturing the radio noise emissions of the jamming pods without turning on own radar. The missile (FT-2000) can then be launched in passive tracking mode. It is quite effective in heavy jamming areas as well.

Passive detection is another way around. And FT-2000 variant is capable of doing that. It will be able to engage indian jamming/EW aircraft or other aircraft with jamming pods by capturing the radio noise emissions of the jamming pods without turning on own radar. The missile (FT-2000) can then be launched in passive tracking mode. It is quite effective in heavy jamming areas as well.

Don't be limited to what is out there. Let your mind think of solutions not in the market.

Government of Pakistan has entrusted the responsibility of National AD to PAF and has nominated Chief of Air Staff (CAS) as the AD Commander, so that unity of command over the AD resources could be ensured. AD Committee (ADC) at Joint Services HQ has been assigned responsibility of coordinated AD effort for airspace of Pakistan. Within overall framework, each service shares this responsibility...
  • PAF provides air component for defensive of airspace of Pakistan and is also responsibility to protect its airbases.
  • AAD is responsibility to protect Army and national / strategic assets which include economic, political, communication, and strategic assets. In addition, it also assists PAF in protection of its assets.
  • Pakistan Navy (PN) protects its own off shore assets and is in the process of development its integrated force for protection of its shore-based assets.

PAF AD system is based on layered AD and joint response of all services when own asset is threatened. The surveillance system detects the intruders enabling decision makers at the C2 system to decide tactical action.
  • The first layer of defensive against the intruder is in the form of hi-technical interceptor aircrafts with long-range air-to-air weapons.
  • The second layer includes interceptor aircrafts with short-range weapons and long-range surface to air weapons or HIMADS.
  • The third layer is of ground based short and medium range surface to air ground weapons and anti-aircraft (AA) guns which will target those enemy intruders, which have been able to sneak through the first two layers.
  • To ensure efficient conduct of AD activities, PAF AD Command has been established to exercise operations and functional control over all the AD assets.

Army AD performs a critical role of GBAD planning, integrated, coordinated and executive functions for Army and protects/ preserves military, strategic, economic, political and psychological important assets / center of the country. It also reinforces AD effort of PAF. The responsibility assigned to AAD is for following assets: -
  • National Assets.
  • Strategic Assets / Installations.
  • Industrial Complexes.
  • Population / Capital Complexes.
  • Army Assets include Field Army Assets.
  • Assist Sister Services in GBAD of their Integrated VAs / VPs.

Sir jab SSG hai why are you asking others?
Because in 65 they did not have a good time doing such sabotaging/infiltrating stuff. But the times have changed.
I was actually making fun of the the attack on Uri of which the Indians made such a drama.

I just confirmed regarding FD2000..... Not S300, am not sure about its procurement except whatever Mubasher Luqman has claimed.... But am sure it will clear up in a short while.
As mention in tweets by Parveen Sawamy he got the news Pakistan's interest in S-300 from his source in Almaz Antey ..... so Mubashir is not the main source in fact I think he must have picked this news from Parveen tweet ...

yaar dekho seedhi baat hai , jab koi SAM ayi gi , tub hum believe kar lain , baat phir waaheen aa jaati kay abhi hum " Pakistan is interested in buying ... " walay stage mey hain , jab is sey nikal jain gey aur " Pakistan has recieved ... " walay stage mey pohonch jain gey, phir news dena

Back
Top Bottom