What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

@Hodor @Dazzler what sort of pods is this TuAF Block-50 carrying? Thanks..

Attachments

• Block-50.jpg
    Block-50.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 58
Thank you for being brutally honest about defencies
99% of the posters including semior elite members would never dare say we dont have HMD or HOBS or the F16 will soon become outdated without massive USA intervention upgrade to keep them relevant

All we get china will do this AND PL15 means this , we have 128 Thunders . Yes but you have left out HMD/HOBS maws and Aesa radar. Now you get Block 3 you buy just 30 .. Not even 50

Dog fighting will be vital
Bvr will crucial but no one is taking out planes from 100+ KM away certainly not regularly .

Amraam SD10 PL15 v R771 R27E Astra Derby Mica Meteore .
PL10E v Python Asraam & R73
By any chance, this is Guru Dutt? Because he also threw a lot of words without even knowing it.

Thanks, why carry both though?
AN/AAQ-13 navigation pod provides high-speed penetration and precision attack on tactical targets at night and in adverse weather. The navigation pod contains a terrain-following radar and a fixed thermographic camera, which provides a visual cue and input to the aircraft's flight control system, enabling it to maintain a pre-selected altitude above the terrain and avoid obstacles. This sensor displays an infrared image of the terrain in front of the aircraft, to the pilot, on a Head-up display. The navigation pod enables the pilot to fly along the general contour of the terrain at high speed, using mountains, valleys and the cover of darkness to avoid detection.

While the Lockheed Martin Sniper is a targeting pod for military aircraft that provides positive target identification, autonomous tracking, GPS coordinate generation, and precise weapons guidance from extended standoff ranges.

1622053111433.png

This is how the initial version of LANTIRN ( Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night ) was set up. You had a targeting pod (AA/AAN-14) and an all weather, low altitude navigation pod.
The AN/AAQ-13 navigation pod provides high-speed penetration and precision attack on tactical targets at night and in adverse weather. The navigation pod contains a terrain-following radar and a fixed thermographic camera, which provides a visual cue and input to the aircraft's flight control system, enabling it to maintain a pre-selected altitude above the terrain and avoid obstacles. This sensor displays an infrared image of the terrain in front of the aircraft, to the pilot, on a Head-up display. The navigation pod enables the pilot to fly along the general contour of the terrain at high speed, using mountains, valleys and the cover of darkness to avoid detection. The pod was the USAF's first wide-field, forward looking infrared navigation system for air superiority fighters. A downgraded version for export with the terrain-following radar deleted is designated as the AN/AAQ-20 Pathfinder, which is only capable of providing a visual cue/picture of ground features in darkness and adverse weather generated by the infrared sensor, and pilots must rely on their own skill to avoid ground obstacles at low altitude flight.

The AA/AAN-14 targeting pod was subsequently replaced by Israeli Litening AA/AAN-28 and Sniper pods.

AN/AAQ-13 navigation pod provides high-speed penetration and precision attack on tactical targets at night and in adverse weather. The navigation pod contains a terrain-following radar and a fixed thermographic camera, which provides a visual cue and input to the aircraft's flight control system, enabling it to maintain a pre-selected altitude above the terrain and avoid obstacles. This sensor displays an infrared image of the terrain in front of the aircraft, to the pilot, on a Head-up display. The navigation pod enables the pilot to fly along the general contour of the terrain at high speed, using mountains, valleys and the cover of darkness to avoid detection.

While the Lockheed Martin Sniper is a targeting pod for military aircraft that provides positive target identification, autonomous tracking, GPS coordinate generation, and precise weapons guidance from extended standoff ranges.

View attachment 747798
LOL we responded at the same time with same info :)

TGP is used mainly for tracking and directing the weapon over targets and usually provides 3 visual modes WHOT,BHOT and TV and you can see the camera feed only on the MFD.

Navpod or FLIR is basically used for low level night flying. It projects what it sees on the hud of the aircraft as well as on the MFD so the pilot doesn't need NVGs he can just look on the HUD and see what's infront of him.

I have tried to put in simple words,the other two gents have given much more detailed information.

Hud view

F-15E_LANTIRN_IR_HUD_image.jpg

Ok so you mostly repeated what you said in your last comment even though I answered every part of it.

We aren't talking about using them..rather carrying them. So you are asserting the pilot should go for a merge just because aim-9 ko zung na lag jay? We wont have a long conventional war,very unlikely. For stand off, the current stock is enough. What? Low % hit? Where are you getting your facts from boy? We fired two Aim120s in 2019 and both of them hit their targets. You call this low hit %?

I have already answered that merge scenario, dont know why you quoted same statement again.

Out of 4 examples I quoted, you answered to only 1. Tells me you are trying to make this discussion into an argument of I made a statement and I won't back out no matter what. Look, I am not commenting here to win the discussion. I was just stating 6 aim 120c loadout is possible, if you haven't seen it then that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Why you keeping quoting USAF? Did I mention it even once?

Anyways, you have made up your mind of paf not carrying 6 aim120s and are turning this into an argument so I am out. If you can't support your stance with proper examples or facts and will just stand on if I haven't seen it, it doesn't exist then I would like to be Mastan Khan for once and say " Kid, not an intelligent comment "

Regards
That's okay by me. You have not presented any reason for PAF carrying such a load-out, regardless of capability. So yes I'm sticking with my view of things

TGP is used mainly for tracking and directing the weapon over targets and usually provides 3 visual modes WHOT,BHOT and TV and you can see the camera feed only on the MFD.

Navpod or FLIR is basically used for low level night flying. It projects what it sees on the hud of the aircraft as well as on the MFD so the pilot doesn't need NVGs he can just look on the HUD and see what's infront of him.

I have tried to put in simple words,the other two gents have given much more detailed information.

Hud view

View attachment 747822
This navigation capability through HUD is available on Mirage VEF ROSE II/III.

F16 are not going any where in next 15 to 20 years in PAF, so PAF need to get advance variant of Aim120s, we have C5, but we need C7 aswell and have to try out our luck with D variant aswell (may be can have them due afghan card)

Back
Top Bottom