What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

Around 10 active. Point is there are plenty of used ATR airframes (especially after Covid) that we can buy cheaply, why deprive PIA?
Thank you. I went on the net and found PIA had leased or was looking to lease 5 platforms. However as you have rightly pointed out there is a glut in the second hand market and provided one has money the plarforms can be had for cheap.
A

PN ATR 72-500 Sea Eagle [pg54-55].jpg

So you know what the upgrade package offers? and it does not offer anything more than what the Saab offers?
btw Saab is operated by PAF, Navy operates its own independent air arm.

I can’t find any reason whatsoever for PN going towards ATR-72 despite having SAAB-2000 infrastructure in-house.

So based on above article do we know which if any missiles already in PN inventory can be launched by ATR MPAs?

From past live firing videos it seems Exocet launched from Sea King launch this way i.e missle is released and afterwards it turns on its rocket.

Do we have any video of C802 launch from JF-17?

Interesting, looks like we have 4 ATRs in total. 76, 77, 78, 79. 78 and 79 have been converted and 77 is being converted so I imagine we will also convert 76, giving us 4 MPAs. Not bad. Great news it confirms we have Pakistani data link. These birds will then be able to communicate with all our new ships and ours subs.

Four hardpoints can be added out of which front two can carry ASM but ours have only two and that too for the torpedos only.

Yes but the point is it says 2 more "can be added", not difficult for PN to do this themselves without sending the planes back to Germany. My guess is we will do it in Pakistan as it will involve Pakistani/Chinese missile systems

So originally 5 are planned?

Not much difference between 4-5 aircraft, 6-8 is the ideal number as that permits two airborne round the clock, just like we have with the P-3Cs and Erieyes. My guess is they may just stick to 4 and then try and get 6-8 pf a LRMPA.

ATR will not go sub hunting all round the Indian Ocean, probably just Arabian Sea and near Pak Coast

Four hardpoints can be added out of which front two can carry ASM but ours have only two and that too for the torpedos only.
plz read again the article attached is discussing about PN Sea Eagle ....

So originally 5 are planned?
4 as far as I understand, one was already converted other three were intended to be converted depending upon availability of Budget .....

From past live firing videos it seems Exocet launched from Sea King launch this way i.e missle is released and afterwards it turns on its rocket.
I think Exocet Missiles would have more chances of Integration with Sea Eagle rather then C-802 probably because of the reason that both Exocet Missile and Sea Eagle are European origin systems
ATR will not go sub hunting all round the Indian Ocean, probably just Arabian Sea and near Pak Coast
In addition to 7 P-3C [link] additional 4 ATR Sea Eagle would give a decent number of 11 aircrafts for MPAs, while within next decade Jet power MPAs would also join so Pakistan Navy will have decent number of MPAs and Aerial subhunters platforms which not only cover Arabian Sea but a beyond Arabian Sea deep into Indian Ocean.

plz read again the article attached is discussing about PN Sea Eagle ....

4 as far as I understand, one was already converted other three were intended to be converted depending upon availability of Budget .....

I think Exocet Missiles would have more chances of Integration with Sea Eagle rather then C-802 probably because of the reason that both Exocet Missile and Sea Eagle are European origin systems

In addition to 7 P-3C [link] additional 4 ATR Sea Eagle would give a decent number of 11 aircrafts for MPAs, while within next decade Jet power MPAs would also join so Pakistan Navy will have decent number of MPAs and Aerial subhunters platforms which not only cover Arabian Sea but a beyond Arabian Sea deep into Indian Ocean.

Yes, it's a very good number for a country with Pakistan's coastline. ATR will very much be in Arabian Sea or coast, something with the legs of P-3C allows us to go hunting further away in Indian Ocean and off India's coast (fighter cover permitting). Ideally you would want a combination of 6 ATRs/6 P-3Cs or LRMPAs. That gives you 2 of each you can have in the air constantly during times of tension. 4 MPAs prowling around is a very tough force to sneak by.....

Back
Top Bottom