What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

That was probably less to do with their weapons and more to do with their sensors, being able to gather intel.
It was actually used because of its significantly superior loiter time than pafs hercules

It was actually used because of its significantly superior loiter time than pafs hercules
PAF hercules are strictly cargo/transporters. P3's are equipped with ISAR, ESM and probably some form of E/O Turrets too, all valuable tools for intel gathering.

PAF hercules are strictly cargo/transporters. P3's are equipped with ISAR, ESM and probably some form of E/O Turrets too, all valuable tools for intel gathering.
Incorrect since ZarbeAzb paf has been using Hercules for COIN ops for ISR role courtesy of the FLIR star safire EO IR ball

PAF hercules are strictly cargo/transporters.
upload_2020-7-2_14-47-0.png

https://quwa.org/2016/01/02/pakistans-shift-to-coin-part-4-airborne-isr-and-airstrikes/

It's true.

But seriously, would it have been that much more expensive to find a smaller plane off-the-shelf and configure it as a ISR/ISTAR aircraft? Why stress (and risk) the Hercs? They could have used C295, C235, Saab 2000, etc. Or was it one of those 'perception' machinations to plead for more C-130s?
must be their idea was as simple as the use of tools in hand to get the work done rather to wait for more appropriate but expensive tools .... buying an FLIR is less expensive then buying a complete aircraft

It's true.

But seriously, would it have been that much more expensive to find a smaller plane off-the-shelf and configure it as a ISR/ISTAR aircraft? Why stress (and risk) the Hercs? They could have used C295, C235, Saab 2000, etc. Or was it one of those 'perception' machinations to plead for more C-130s?
I can only speculate. Maybe the system has large power requirements. Maybe the C-130 being a truck you didn't really need to worry about messing up the flight characteristics by installing the pod. Also, time would have been of the essence. It was probably an adhoc solutions for an urgent problem.

I can only speculate. Maybe the system has large power requirements. Maybe the C-130 being a truck you didn't really need to worry about messing up the flight characteristics by installing the pod. Also, time would have been of the essence. It was probably an adhoc solutions for an urgent problem.
True, but pre-integrated solutions were already available. Not only that, but I think we even used CSF/FMF to fund partial solutions of that nature -- e.g., SAR/GMTI-equipped King Air 350s -- anyways. I feel like they could've gotten together and had Airbus DS, Leonardo, etc, to get an ISTAR platform via another COTS plane ready. Heck, they may have been able to get one from the US via CSF/FMF.

Interesting story on how the STAR SAFIRE suite was fitted in on the Hercs and how the operators of the equipment got trained and how they were used to take out TTP with pinpoint accuracy during night ops. That broke the back of TTP since now they were being attacked round the clock.

Since then capability has been built to share live feed with ground control stations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom