What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

The Turkish and Italian (initial 2 were -500s but all later ones are -600s) versions are also based on a newer platform, ATR 72-600, while the PN variants are based on the older model of the aircraft itself, the ATR 72-212 (which seemingly is the same as the 500 series). I think the biggest difference in the two are related to the cockpit and avionics. 600s have a full digital cockpit whereas 212/500s have a mix of digital and analog displays.

On the armament/capabilities side, Turkish variant seems to be the most advanced. Between the PN and Italian, I would guess that the Italian version would have better sensor suite, however, it does not carry any offensive armaments unlike the Turkish and Pakistani ATRs.

Which is the most capable, I will leave each to reach their own conclusions by looking at their sensor fits and so on.
Hi is it possible to acquire Turkish armaments for PN version & what kind of armaments Turkish are carrying Are these local or imported if possible to answer
Thank you

Do you think PN is still looking for some Sea Kings to complement the current fleet?

As Sea King is a reliable Seaborn platform for Navy, MSA, & Coast Guard.

Do you think PN is still looking for some Sea Kings to complement the current fleet?

As Sea King is a reliable Seaborn platform for Navy, MSA, & Coast Guard.

they just took delivery from UK of 7 x Sea Kings and yes they are totally very reliable

3 were put into service and UK still has a large fleet and will retire mote units in the coming years

however I am not sure if they can fit well into our warships

what we need is this beast

Wildcat carrying 20 yes thats 20 Martlet (Lightweight Multi-role Missile)

Attachments

• IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 47
they just took delivery from UK of 7 x Sea Kings and yes they are totally very reliable

3 were put into service and UK still has a large fleet and will retire mote units in the coming years

however I am not sure if they can fit well into our warships

what we need is this beast

Wildcat carrying 20 yes thats 20 Martlet (Lightweight Multi-role Missile)
Leonardo offered the AW159 to the PN. It's on the costly side -- around $55 m per helicopter (plus maintenance, logistics, training, etc) -- but could pair really well with the MILGEM-J.

Leonardo offered the AW159 to the PN. It's on the costly side -- around $55 m per helicopter (plus maintenance, logistics, training, etc) -- but could pair really well with the MILGEM-J.
At the moment PN needs robust choppers like Sea Kings.

Sea Kings are also good for MSA and Coast Guards as well.

Sir is PN really considering it or rejected it at all

I can’t find any reason whatsoever for PN going towards ATR-72 despite having SAAB-2000 infrastructure in-house.

I can’t find any reason whatsoever for PN going towards ATR-72 despite having SAAB-2000 infrastructure in-house.

PIA ATR-72s and PN ATR-72s give us combined fleet of around 14 planes, PN aircraft will be based near Karachi which is also an engineering and maintenence hub of PIA.

Also tow major Pakistani defence partners (Italy and Turkey) have good experience and equipment in Marinised ATR aircraft

The Turkish and Italian (initial 2 were -500s but all later ones are -600s) versions are also based on a newer platform, ATR 72-600, while the PN variants are based on the older model of the aircraft itself, the ATR 72-212 (which seemingly is the same as the 500 series). I think the biggest difference in the two are related to the cockpit and avionics. 600s have a full digital cockpit whereas 212/500s have a mix of digital and analog displays.

On the armament/capabilities side, Turkish variant seems to be the most advanced. Between the PN and Italian, I would guess that the Italian version would have better sensor suite, however, it does not carry any offensive armaments unlike the Turkish and Pakistani ATRs.

Which is the most capable, I will leave each to reach their own conclusions by looking at their sensor fits and so on.
The Italian version of all three is the most technically superior version, equipped with a sideways looking radar and a hyper spectral sensor, missing on the Pakistani Sea Eagle. The Turkish version is equipped with a mechanical radar, so the performance does not match that of the Pakistani Sea Eagle with the AESA radar. That said, the absence of MAD on Pakistani Sea Eagle seems awkward, considering both Italian and Turkish options went with it. Pakistan swapped the engines on its version of ATR with that of -600 version, so the performance should match.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom