What's new

Pakistan Navy Questions Thread

Are there any roles within Navy which only a helicopter of size of AW-101 can execute? If AW-149 is procured, will it leave any blank areas within operational structure needing to be covered?

The AW101 is a maritime ship-borne Anti Submarine platform designed from the drawing board as such.
It is the complete package for every role envisaged for a naval helicopter.

AW149 is a commercial platform which will be modified to meet some requirements, but cannot fulfill the complete range in comparison to the AW101.

PN needs to replace the Seaking's, which have been in service for more than 45 years and only the AW101 can be a true successor.

NH-90 could have been an alternate but it will not be exported to non partner countries.

Last edited:
aw101-merlin-crown-copyright_76934.jpg
eh101merlinhm1_royalnavy_zh838_kp.jpg

Nice hope we get them...

IMO ... I'd rather the PN order 24 AW149s of multiple types rather than piecemeal numbers of entirely different helicopter models, especially high-cost models. I think the PN could settle its entire helicopter program for $1.2 b; amortize it over 10 years at $100 m per year, and be done with it.

I understand inter-services commonality is unrealistic, but standardization within a service should be tenable.

That said, Leonardo thinks AW149 is a good successor for the Puma-series. It cost Egypt around $30 m all-in per helicopter, which is pretty competitive. So, there might be a case for the Army down the line.

Which Leonardo helicopter is equivalent of MH-60 which IN is purchasing??
Even EU or British banks good for loan like eygpt got I would love 24-36 EF and if PAF grab old ones would be cheery on top no need more F16s except current fleet upgardes even negate need for J10CE. A combination of F16s JF-17 with EF good to go

EU firms can also help upgrade our F-16s if we arrange approval from US.
The AW101 is a maritime ship-borne Anti Submarine platform designed from the drawing board as such.
It is the complete package for every role envisaged for a naval helicopter.

AW149 is a commercial platform which will be modified to meet some requirements, but cannot fulfill the complete range in comparison to the AW101.

PN needs to replace the Seaking's, which have been in service for more than 45 years and only the AW101 can be a true successor.

NH-90 could have been an alternate but it will not be exported to non partner countries.

Is AW-101 better or on par with IN MH-60s??

Last edited:
Try to utilize existing thread for one liner question instead of creating a new thread without much substance, details or your own detailed concern backed with analysis.

Regards,

Which Leonardo helicopter is equivalent of MH-60 which IN is purchasing??

EU firms can also help upgrade our F-16s if we arrange approval from US.

Is AW-101 better or on par with IN MH-60s??

AW-101 is better.

This naval helicopter was designed to replace the Sea King and made its first flight in 1987.

The AW101 is a modern naval helicopter. It is fitted with dipping sonar and sonobuoys. However systems and equipment vary from customer to customer. It has the power and performance for autonomous anti-submarine warfare missions.

AW-101 is better.

This naval helicopter was designed to replace the Sea King and made its first flight in 1987.

The AW101 is a modern naval helicopter. It is fitted with dipping sonar and sonobuoys. However systems and equipment vary from customer to customer. It has the power and performance for autonomous anti-submarine warfare missions.
How many do you think would fit PN's needs?

AW-101 is better.

"The AW101 can be tempermental"- A friend of mine (hes a 101 maintainer for the RN.)

Thats not ideal for the PN who cant afford long down times and costly MRO

"The AW101 can be tempermental"- A friend of mine (hes a 101 maintainer for the RN.)

Thats not ideal for the PN who cant afford long down times and costly MRO

PN has operated and maintained Westland Sea Kings for over 40 years.
They are not more temperamental than them.

PN has operated and maintained Westland Sea Kings for over 40 years.
They are not more temperamental than them.

Sea kings have had far better availability due to the sheer number of operators meaning the flow of spares, knowledge, etc is all better.

in the same sense how our ah1fs are far better off than aussie tigers.

I guess, 4 Type-54AP are going to be delivered soon with 2 arriving this year and the rest of the 2 arriving next year or later.
Is PN also looking for Type-55 (Type-52D's Production stopped) Destroyers as well?

I guess, 4 Type-54AP are going to be delivered soon with 2 arriving this year and the rest of the 2 arriving next year or later.
Is PN also looking for Type-55 (Type-52D's Production stopped) Destroyers as well?

one type-055 is ~1 billion USD... and thats PLAN prices, without accounting for training, maintenance and other associated costs. it would be well over 10% of the entire Pakistan military budget for a single ship and that's if China sold the ship at production cost. there is just need need for a ship of that size in pakistan nor the money to pay for it or maintain it.

one type-055 is ~1 billion USD... and thats PLAN prices, without accounting for training, maintenance and other associated costs. it would be well over 10% of the entire Pakistan military budget for a single ship and that's if China sold the ship at production cost. there is just need need for a ship of that size in pakistan nor the money to pay for it or maintain it.

How much PN paid for the Type-54APs to China?

Back
Top Bottom