What's new

Pakistan Ranks High on Happy Planet Index 2012

Good luck ,and congrats.......

Top 5 happier country...1.somalia.2.afganistan.3.bangladesh.4.pakistan.5.nigeria.

Be happy by knowing that u are happy...

Muslims and hindus are like brothers in india,no one can seperate them....but in pakistan how many hindus was there when pakistan got indipendent and how many are now,thats what hum

An Indian makes five irrelevant posts, just to ventilate the frustration of seeing Pakistan in positivity, any wonder you people are not happy since you think the world rotates around India......talk about Fish in a bowl. !!

Fake media reports & dam manupilated serveys!
Art of war(media)?
To make pakistani educated bt sense less youth belive on west!

Jalney waley ka mou'n kala..... tub hi fair 'n lovely ziada bikta hey. :D
sanu tey dil de fair hain ji...bas zuban kali hai....tabhi tey pakistan team hamesha haar jaati hai support hamare karne par.............:D

congrats to Pak and Bangladesh... !! dont tell chinese ... china ranks 60 :china:!!

Pakistan amongst top 20 happiest countries
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan ranked 16th amongst 151 countries of the world on the Happy Planet Index (HPI) 2012, beating India and the United States who ranked 32nd and 105th, respectively. Costa Rica was termed the happiest country, followed by Vietnam and Colombia. The HPI was calculated using life expectancy, experienced well-being and ecological footprint (per capita) of the countries with data collected from various sources including UNDP and Gallup. The index was compiled by New Economics Foundation (NEF).
The life expectancy and experienced well-being of Pakistan was found to be mediocre, but the ecological footprint was termed “good”. The total HPI of Pakistan was calculated to be 54.1. Israel landed just one spot above Pakistan, having “good” life expectancy and experienced well-being, but a “poor” ecological footprint. Bangladesh was higher up on the scale at 11, with the first two factors rated as “mediocre” and the footprint as “good”. India was found to have mediocre life expectancy and well-being and a “good” ecological footprint. However, its total HPI amounted to 50.9. Afghanistan was ranked 109. The only reason why the US scored low was its ecological footprint which was worse than the “poor” category. The life expectancy and experienced well-being were, however, ranked “good”.

I think that assumption is wrong..Less ecological footprint doesn't mean people are more happy..I Have been to places of zero ecological footprints-In India and Vietnam(Which btw is ranked second).Trust me the people there are not at all happy at their existence-No modern aminities,No health care,No retirement plans..There may be exceptions like tibeten monks and the ones living in hunza valley..But they are more or less exceptions than the rule..

Yes, this 'study' is not particularly convincing if 'less ecological footprint' is the main criteria--but then why should Israel--which has a high ecological footprint--be right next to Pakistan in the ranking? Strange.

Anyway, we can all agree that 'happiness' is very subjective. A few points:
1) People with 'low expectations' are content with lower amenities.
2) Countries with large social-support networks like Pakistan somehow manages to feed its people: Go to the streets of Karachi to understand this. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds of free food places catering to anyone who walks in.
3) My relatives in India say that Pakistanis are very tolerant of their govt. In India if there is such inflation in such a short time then people would revolt.
4) Every time I visit Pakistan I find a lot of poverty but I also find a lot of laughters. At least in Karachi even the poor have learned to often ignore, smile and move on.
5) Please don't isolate Pakistanis for wanting to move to other countries. Almost all 3rd world countries have this. Heck, the Mexicans should be rich because of their natural resources and are still a richer-country than Pakistan but look at how much they risk to cross over to America? China may become a superpower one day but, even in recent past, they risked their lives crossing the ocean to Canada.

Forget about Pakistanis, tell us why are indians not happy despite being economic super power, 200 SU30MKI and 126 Rafael?

But why are Pakistanis happy , i mean afterall all this mess , i thought the results would have been quite different :what:

Forget about Pakistanis, tell us why are indians not happy despite being economic super power, 200 SU30MKI and 126 Rafael?

Same reason Bangladesh is higher up the scale than Pakistan and US is ranked so low. There is a big big emphasis given to ecological footprint and Per Capita played a huge part in calculating the ecological footprint.

The HPI was calculated using life expectancy, experienced well-being and ecological footprint (per capita) of the countries

What it means is, the poorer the country is, the easier it is to get high points for ecological footprint.

In short, BECAUSE our economy is better, the ranking system ranked us as poorer in the so called happiness index.

How can ECO-footprint be an equal priority with life-expectancy and experienced-well being when it has nothing to do with being "happy"? Most of these developing countries don't have a foot large enough to leave any significant print.

The only way Eco-footprint can be taken in to account is when population and infrastructure are also taken into account. So I think ranking is flawed... On a plus note, I don't think Pakistan is doing too bad considering the-war,the broken system,the black swans, and just general pressures it is going through... the point is, don't create a trump-card out of it; as it's a still long road for any notable achievements.

Back
Top Bottom