What's new

Pakistan’s naval modernisation programme hits the skids

We need to be aware of this situation, every pakistani does. It is wayyy more important than glorifying ourselves, i think this kind of news should be made more public so that this nation that has fallen so deep in stupor can wake up and realise how much deep trouble we're in. India is buying AC's and we can barely keep up to buy some third class gunboats ? agreed india is a much bigger country and therefore we can't compare them to ourselves. But that isn't going to be the issue if we get blocked again, we NEED to take down this government, everyday that passes is a day we let these goons drown this nation deeper into turmoil. I can only express my frustration in words here, which makes me feel even worse knowing that there is nothing i or you guys can do

PN has already 2+7 P3C maritime patrol a/c in the pipeline which are sufficient to monitor the pakistani coast-line. i also believe that at least 1 Saab Erieye will be stationed at masroor for AEW to support the mirages. if the PAF plans to station JF-17s at some point when their numbers are sufficient, then the chinese Y-8 AEW platform will also be stationed at masroor in support of the JF-17s. in this way the PAF will be supporting the PN too.

the 4th F-22P will be built at KSEW locally with ToT and the 3rd Agosta 90B was built locally however there are no future plans as we know. so building know-how and training has been imparted so far.

r with due respect they were not indegenious projects. they were not developed by Pakistan, infact not even a single modification was made by us. they were just licensed copies of imported items and we cannot even produce anymore of them with out the permission of manufacturere!!!

regards!

PN has already 2+7 P3C maritime patrol a/c in the pipeline which are sufficient to monitor the pakistani coast-line. i also believe that at least 1 Saab Erieye will be stationed at masroor for AEW to support the mirages. if the PAF plans to station JF-17s at some point when their numbers are sufficient, then the chinese Y-8 AEW platform will also be stationed at masroor in support of the JF-17s. in this way the PAF will be supporting the PN too.

and that all that is required!! isnt it sir??

i mean i dont think Pakistan is in a position to eastablish a seprate air wing for navy, and, neither do we require one!
so if PAF can render some support to navy, which it had been doing in the past, it is a job well done!

we do not need to spent $$ for equipment that are not at top of our priority lists!!

regards!

the 4th F-22P will be built at KSEW locally with ToT and the 3rd Agosta 90B was built locally however there are no future plans as we know. so building know-how and training has been imparted so far.

TOT is much misused word. It means very little in Pakistan’s case. We built last August 90 in Karachi Shipyard. Can we build another one ab initio? All we did was to assemble it in Karachi thereby learning essential skills such as welding a submarine hull and installing imported equipment according to a blue print. Same thing will happen in case of F-22. Only good that came out of it is that it provided Pakistanis with jobs and thus saved a little foreign exchange.

I have also seen comments elsewhere that Pakistan will spend $78-million on a worthless frigate. Please understand that naval ships are very expensive. The fact is that GOP is broke. We have no money. We need US Aid to meet our annual budget. A brand new vessel of the OHP frigate class will cost at least $200-million to build. We are getting the hull for free; $78 -million is for the refurbishment and equipment. Thus we would have a vessel that would give 10-15 years of service at a fraction of the cost of the new. People call it a waste of money?

I request Hon Members to think with a cool head before making such puerile statements.

Hi,

Just learning how to weld two pieces of the the sub together is a big feat in itself.

f89232f025429a2a48da5fa08fb2052c.gif

Hi,

This news in urdu make this frigate look like it is trash---or ready for a junk yard---the writer doesnot understand that with potent upgrades this warship is possibly better than or as good as the newer ones that we got from china.

regarding ships... i must say that its not only the machine that matters but its the man behind that machine which also mtters...

Well its always been like that... governments after governments have ignored navy. this is so sad. for pakistan's better security we need a high class equip navy which we realy lack at this time. specially when indian navy is developing at a realy fast rate. i think navy should have been given atleast 12 submarines and about 20 light , medium and heavy class firgates/destroyers/corvettes , should have an effective air arm with modren attack helicopters like Z9 ..

I have a few thoughts which i want ot discuss with esteemed forum members. Naval platforms are really expensive and to be realistic, pakistani economy in its current form cannot sustain a navy with the required number of surface paltforms. i think the need to expand submarine force is dire tomeet the challanges that we face, however with surface platforms ,even with the best will in the world we may struggle .
In all things where one has been outnumbered one has to think out of the box. i keep on thinking of how Chad outmaneuvered the Libyan army in the desert with fast moving and light jeeps bearing anti tank weaponds to shoot and disappear without taking too many hits. Is it possible to equate the same strategy in the indo Pak theatre?
To expand that we will have to have fast attack crafts like MRT33 or slightly bigger backed up by perhaps an aerial platform guiding long range missiles on to the enemy fleet, or even harbours, from a safe distance. The aerial defence of these platform will require a fleet of aircrafts with A DECENT RANGE. In this case even if we lose a few attacking boats the loss would not hurt us too much.
We will have four F22s and possibly 3 OHPs to lauch attacking manuouvers and hunt for enemy subs. I dont know whether Milgem would be economically viable solution in this scenario or whether we need something even smaller and faster(MRT40 comes to mind) which can be built locally without too much hassle.
Regards
Araz

In addition to cost, new-built naval platforms require a lot of time to actually produce and test. Even if PN is unable to finalize the Milgem and next-gen frigate right now, it still isn't a huge issue because these ships will not be in full-fledged service until much later anyways.

for me navy havent used and finalised or buyed anything from 2005 as we buyed frigates where is the money gone from 2005 to 2010 of navy sir

I think the fact that the government changed and the country's main defence related focus has shifted from India to the Taliban for the time being has also likely delayed these deals. A lot of many may have been spent to train soldiers in COIN and also better programmes & equipment for the FC may have caused these deals to be stalled, along with the current state of the economy. Hopefully these deals will go through soon, especially those with TOT. The jobs TOT projects help create can help the economy loads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom