What's new

Pakistan’s progress in IT, Telecom and Defense industries

Vinod,
New technologies are always developed using older technologies so if a new system is being developed using the existing technology somehow it is also innovation.

See, my intention is not to take anything away. But where is any development of technology in any of that? It is just deployment of an already developed technology.

See, my intention is not to take anything away. But where is any development of technology in any of that? It is just deployment of an already developed technology.

well Is India’s IT industry innovating something???

Most of the telecommunication companies in Pakistan are multinationals and they earn their profits on import of equipment rather than operations.

These type of companies in India are required to transfer technology to the country before they can start operations.

So, even though we might be paying less 'per minute' to those companies, it is all going out of the country.

Please name any 'multinational' company in Pakistan that uses raw materials produced in Pakistan. They all make money through transfer pricing during imports.

Being youngest 'certified' has no meaning or teledensity does not have any meaning. How much of Pakistan's IT sector is earning through exports of its products and services should be the key indicator of performance. This number is only a fraction of what countries in the region earn.

well Is India’s IT industry innovating something???

While I have no intention to make it into a Indo-Pak thing again, the answer is yes.

You may have heard of the fact that the best DSP (digital signal processor) of Honeywell called Ankur has been developed in India, Intel, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, IBM, GE, Samsung and so on, all of them have major R&D centers in India many of which are doing cutting edge work.

Even Indian companies are coming up with innovations. India is developing good competencies in chip design. The iPod headphone DSP was designed in India for instance. Many of the world's banks run on financial systems designed and developed in India. Much of the development work of the likes of Nokia, Motorola etc. is outsourced to Indian companies etc.

In space sector, India is designing and launching satellites for even developed countries. India has designed the lowest cost car in the world, some of the lowest cost SUVs etc.

The list is much bigger but I hope you are getting the drift.

While I have no intention to make it into a Indo-Pak thing again, the answer is yes.

You may have heard of the fact that the best DSP (digital signal processor) of Honeywell called Ankur has been developed in India, Intel, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, IBM, GE, Samsung and so on, all of them have major R&D centers in India many of which are doing cutting edge work.

Even Indian companies are coming up with innovations. India is developing good competencies in chip design. The iPod headphone DSP was designed in India for instance. Many of the world's banks run on financial systems designed and developed in India. Much of the development work of the likes of Nokia, Motorola etc. is outsourced to Indian companies etc.

In space sector, India is designing and launching satellites for even developed countries. India has designed the lowest cost car in the world, some of the lowest cost SUVs etc.

I am a Pakistani, but I can vouch for the above.

I also do not want to make it Pak vs Ind thread. The reason why I asked this question is that any new technology is a layer over an old technology. Lets take a example of Oracle (database) which is developed using Java (a programming language) now you cannot take any credit from Oracle saying that since Java was developed by some one else hence Oracle enterprise solutions is not an innovation. Similarly any new system being developed using the existing technology is a new advancement in technology.

Last edited:
That may be right. In this case it is just installation of proven systems already created and perfected. AFAIK, no new system has been developed.

Anyway, I am happy that Pakistan is making good use of technology.

Here are few Innovation as I can recall
1) Air bus 380 wings are designed by Infosys Bangaluru

2) Citi bank uses Iflex cube software for online banking. This is developed by IFlex india which was acquired by Oracle and renamed it as Oracle finance.

3) Infosys has developed retail banking solution called finacle which is used by many banks for real banking.

4) Microsoft IE 7 has been developed in Microsoft Hyderabad.

5) All Deloitte Audit and tax ,forensic tools are developed by Deloitte India Hyderabad.
Deloitte India is largest center for Deloitte out side US

6) 40% of software used in Motorola is developed in india

7) SAP Labs India also contributes to 2/5th of global ERP development as well as the development of latest CRM solutions .
SAP has largest R&D development center out side Germany in India.

8) Nokia’s Bangalore R&D centre, the largest in India, was set up in 2001 after the acquisition of Amber Networks. “It plays a crucial role in developing new applications, software platforms and chipsets for high-end Nokia mobile devices,” says the executive. Quite a few of Nokia’s innovations for emerging markets, like a dust-free keypad and a small but powerful torch/flashlight on mobiles, have come from India.

9) Hinese technology major Huawei has filed for over 200 patents from its India R&D centre.
The India R&D centre, its largest outside China.

These are very few to sum up!.

Almost all software product based companies(Microsoft,Cisco,SAP,EMC,Nokia,Motorola, IBM,adobe Google,Yahoo!.) has R&D centers in India and for many they of biggest out side there counties.

all software consulting companies has biggest centers in India.

It has been 15 years since they are India.
they would has packed up if there is no innovation in there R&D center in india.

Software do not have "made in" mark like manufacturing so it is hard to say which country developed it.

Please do not take me as a fun spoiler. May moderators forgive me for this.

But if you actually see, there is nothing achieved except very few things by India as well as Pakistan!

Here I remember a joke -

A son asks his father "what is the difference between potentially and actually?"

In reply, father tells him to follow. They go to child's mother. Father asks her "will you sleep with Brad Pitt for $ 1B?". Mother replies affirmative.

Then they go to child's sister. Father asks her "will you sleep with Tom Cruise for $ 1B?". She says yes.

Then father asks to the child itself "will you sleep with David Backham for $ 1B?". Child is a soccer fan. So, he agrees.

Now, father says, "Son, potentially - we are sitting on $ 3B, but actually - we are living with two wh*res and a g*y!!"

HERE COMES WHY -

We have natural resources, but we give them on lease to foreign companies.

We are earning from IT, but the technology is foreign.

We are still using education system set by British (only to produce clerks) and feel proud for our excellence in that.

Again, our best students plan to settle in US or UK and we are proud. We are proud of our children talent, and they are proud of getting job in USA.

We are only better in numbers and that too because of huge sizes and population densities. Just compare in ratio, you will get reality.

Number of NASA techies are from Indian subcontinent, and what we have here? ISRO is still a kid in space industry and I do not know if any Pakistani space program even exists! (Pakistani members forgive me.)

We sell all types of resources and buy weapons to fight with each other.

We have mobile phones, but they are hardly more then a time-pass.

We have high-tech media, but they are idiots who control it.

and the list goes on......:hitwall:

Most of the telecommunication companies in Pakistan are multinationals and they earn their profits on import of equipment rather than operations.

These type of companies in India are required to transfer technology to the country before they can start operations.

So, even though we might be paying less 'per minute' to those companies, it is all going out of the country.

Please name any 'multinational' company in Pakistan that uses raw materials produced in Pakistan. They all make money through transfer pricing during imports.

Being youngest 'certified' has no meaning or teledensity does not have any meaning. How much of Pakistan's IT sector is earning through exports of its products and services should be the key indicator of performance. This number is only a fraction of what countries in the region earn.

Well holes can be punched any where....

Got to start somewhere take the positives and move on concentrate on your efforts results will follow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom