What's new

Pakistan survival without Kashmir???

MOSABJA

Reaction score
CHAKOTHI: Swollen with melting Himalayan snows, the Jhelum River rushes fiercely westwards across this point of the invisible Line of Control (LoC) dividing Kashmir between India and Pakistan.

Last November it carried into Pakistani territory the swollen body of a Kashmiri man in his twenties, torture marks still visible, according to the Pakistani military. Never identified, he was number 812 in the river’s grim cargo since 1990. All of them apparently in their 20s and 30s, all of them bearing signs of torture. “We believe they had been held in interrogation cells by Indian security forces, brutalised, and then thrown in to the river, to send a clear signal downstream,” Lt Col Imran Ahmed, military chief of Chakothi sector on the LoC, said.

They are counted among the 89,967 Kashmiris whom Pakistan says have been killed since 1990 by Indian troops trying to quash a violent 14-year rebellion against Indian rule in the Muslim-majority state.

The insurgency brought the nuclear foes to the brink of their fourth war last year, sparking worldwide fears of a nuclear conflict. The ferocious currents of the Jhelum, the Indus to the north and the Chenab to the south, could also bring South Asia to the brink of a nuclear holocaust.

The three rivers, which start in or run through Indian-held Kashmir and feed Pakistan, lay behind the description of Kashmir by Pakistan’s founder Mohammad Ali Jinnah as “Shah rag-e-Pakistan” (the jugular vein of Pakistan). The Jhelum in particular irrigates the Punjab, Pakistan’s largest and most populous province, and its breadbasket. Reducing or diverting its flow could lead to ‘economic strangulation’ of Pakistan — one of the red lines considered by Pakistann’s military a trigger for unleashing its nuclear arsenal.

“The Punjab is particularly dependent on it. Ultimately the net result, if it was reduced, would be economic strangulation,” Lt Col Ahmed said.

“Definitely it would trigger confrontation.”

Sardar Anwar Khan, a former major general who is now president of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, said manipulating the Jhelum, Chenab or Indus rivers ‘could’ spark an attack. “If you are dying, if your survival is at stake then anything can happen,” he said.

“Many people say that in the future wars may be fought over water. You cannot ignore that because the whole economy of Pakistan is centred on the water that flows from Kashmir.”

“All the water which irrigates Pakistani territory comes from Kashmir ... Pakistan’s vital economic interests are linked with Kashmir.” Under a World Bank-brokered Indus Water Treaty, signed with Pakistan in 1960, India is allowed limited use of the Pakistan-bound rivers for agriculture and power generation. The Baghliar hydroelectric plant under construction by India on the Chenab River is currently threatening the treaty. India has refused to allow Pakistan, which fears the plant would reduce water flow, to inspect it. “The Indians have already indicated they are constructing dams which would manipulate the water,” President Khan claimed.

“So is Pakistan going to stay put and wait until India diverts the river? Pakistan would be devastated.”

Pakistan’s military has little trust in India sticking to the treaty. “The Indians are deviating from whatever they had agreed in 1960. They can alter the flow,” Lt Col Ahmed said.

PAKISTAN's OPTIONS.

1)Pakistan has only few options.First is to reverse Musharraf's policy of Silence on Kashmir and say to Indians openely that things like Kishenganga dam.Baglihar dam and wullar lake are not acceptable.

If India continues its violation that Pakistan should start Supporting the Kashmiri Jihad again.

2)Do extensive studies on how the Major rivers of Pakistan originating in China could be diverted so as to reach Pakistan directly instead of ever passing through India.
Like Indus,Sutlej originate in China.

Besides it Major tributaries of Ghanga like Ghaghara river,Kosi river and Gandaki river also originate in CHina.

Pakistani is lucky as it still has 40 % of Kashmir occupied by India in 47 .If it had not been that then Pakistan couldnt even survive.

One thing more Please indians on this forum.I would like to request to you that dont take this discussion other ways.

Its only concerning Pakistanis and how Pakistan can meet its Water shortage in case India plans to go ahead with its Mega projects on Pakistani rivers.

How can Pakistan reduce its VITAL WATER DEPENDENCE on India by making alternate arrangements to fulfill water shortage .I mean asking the CHINESE to help out that if INDIA takes Chenab,Jhelum away from Pakistan.

China could help Pakistan reciprocate it by diverting Sutlej,karnali and Indus directly into pakistan.

Water issue is something we need to do take care off and that is the only reason why Quaid-e-Azam called kashmir as pakistan's shah rag. Musharraf has done harmed to this cause but i guess it wasnt his fault. The way pakistan was going he did not had an option but to keep quiet until pakistan was back on track
ANyhow lets wait and watch what the new government do about it and how do they handle the issue.

india won't divert the rivers, as long as there are nukes pointed at its neck.

One thing more Please indians on this forum.I would like to request to you that dont take this discussion other ways.

Its only concerning Pakistanis and how Pakistan can meet its Water shortage in case India plans to go ahead with its Mega projects on Pakistani rivers.

How can Pakistan reduce its VITAL WATER DEPENDENCE on India by making alternate arrangements to fulfill water shortage .I mean asking the CHINESE to help out that if INDIA takes Chenab,Jhelum away from Pakistan.

China could help Pakistan reciprocate it by diverting Sutlej,karnali and Indus directly into pakistan.

If you involve India, then how can you expect Indians to not comment?

The rivers by the way is not Pakistan's.

However, the Indus Water Treaty remains the guiding star!

It would be interesting to know how Chinese can change the course of these rivers.

First of all if the India's violate the Indus Water Treaty they can turn Pakistan into a desert within a couple of months.
As far as the Chinese diverting their river is concerned, I think that is just stupid. Did the Chinese ever say they will do that, why are we reallying on something which has bleak chance of happening, why cant we fix our problems ourselves instead of relying on other people to do it for us.

Negotiation is the only option.
The rivers are originating in their country, how can we question that?

One more reason why peace should be negotioated, rather than the hatred and war mentality.

It won't be much of an image boost to India given its role as an emerging power in South East Asia.

Diverting the rivers would just stir up a hornets nest.

india won't divert the rivers, as long as there are nukes pointed at its neck.

Hold your thought. Using nuclear weapons would be sucidal for both Pakistan and India. Why do you want to die?

Can anyone give me a geniune source that India is planning to divert rivers ?

Can anyone give me a geniune source that India is planning to divert rivers ?

India is always ready to divert the rivers. And I am pretty sure if we were in the same position we would do the same.

Hold your thought. Using nuclear weapons would be sucidal for both Pakistan and India. Why do you want to die?
if india tries to break pakistan or annex it, we will nuke india. Wouldn't you assume india would retaliate? i think we know that india would nuke us in return, yet we are ready to die. what matters is the state we worked so hard to estabilish. besides that, muslims don't fear death.:sniper:

Yes, I don't see why China won't help us if we ask for their help if India violates the Indus water treaty. China is on the UN security council. Besides, China needs us as a cheap route for it's energy import needs, which are growing astronomically each year.

Instead of nukes, one single, quick, unexpected airstrike by the PAF could destroy whatever dams India builds. If India decides to start a war over this, then we will have no choice but to fight to the death, and that will of course require the use of nukes in the end.

We must try our best to somehow divert our water resources away from India and into Pakistan through China. Nothing is impossible in this world today. We might have to invest billions or trillions into this, but we must.

if india tries to break pakistan or annex it, we will nuke india. Wouldn't you assume india would retaliate? i think we know that india would nuke us in return, yet we are ready to die. what matters is the state we worked so hard to estabilish. besides that, muslims don't fear death.:sniper:

Indeed your statement is a very nationalistic one and believe me I too have the same feelings. But might I remind you we did work hard to built Pakistan but we stood by, watched and did nothing while Pakistan broke in two peices.

Back
Top Bottom