What's new

Pakistan: The ‘birth’ of a problem

blueoval79

BANNED
Reaction score
This article is worth a read. Though I don't like the title....but it is worth sharing...

Pakistan: The ?birth? of problem

The creation of Pakistan was one of the bloodiest incidents of modern history. As a country struggling to free itself from the clutches of imperialist Britain, India was not ready for such bloodshed and division, especially in the name of religion. But, because of Jinnah’s Muslim League and to an extent even Congress, Indians had to face the worst nightmare.

Sixty-three years on, the wound is still fresh and the chasms clear. In the hype and hoopla about the roles of Jinnah and Nehru in partition; we have missed the worst sufferers of the incident, the Indian Muslims.

The plight of Muslims who were opposed to partition could be summed up in the last words of Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan that he conveyed to Mahatma Gandhi, “You have thrown us to the wolves.”

But the inevitable happened and thus began the plight of Indian Muslims- those who migrated and those who stayed on in India.

Muhajir

The Muslims of India migrated to Pakistan in the hope of a better future. They thought of living with their ‘own’ people in their ‘own’ land. But it was nothing more than a mere utopia. The bubble burst and the problem of being a ‘Muhajir’ cropped up soon enough.

The sacred word ‘Muhajir’ that was once used for none other than Prophet Muhammad himself, turned derogatory for the migrated Indian Muslims. Far from welcoming them, the natives of Pakistan treated them as second class citizens; as burdens on their society.

This led to the rise of Muhajir Quami Movement (MQM) against the oppressive Pakistan governments. After more than three decades of struggle, though the situation is now better for migrants, still the flares refuse to die down.

Poor economic condition of Indian Muslims

It is no hidden fact that the economic condition of Muslims in India is far from ideal. There are a number of theories that give various reasons for this, like government apathy, lack of education and ignorance, but there is one reason that most miss out, the migration of upper class and rich Muslims to Pakistan.

Though it may sound like a far fetched theory, but one cannot deny that most of the people who migrated to Pakistan were rich landlords. As they say, the cream of Muslims moved away from the country, leaving behind poor Muslims. This disturbed the balance of the society.

The situation further compounded by the government apathy towards Muslims and lack of dedicated plans towards the most downtrodden strata of society.

Since, the number of rich people within the society shrunk, there was not much hope for Indian Muslims apart from depending on government programs for development.

This theory can be justified by sighting the example of the Sikh community. They are among the most progressive in India and the main reason for it is their entrepreneurship and the community help they received, especially as refugees at the time of migration.

The problem of distrust

The worst side effect of the creation of Pakistan is the prevalent distrust among the common people of India on Muslims. Even after 63 years of partition, Indian Muslims are still facing the tag of being ‘Pakistan friendly’.

Immediately after the partition, it had become a problem of sorts for unemployed Muslims to find a job under a Hindu employer, as they were not trusted. This continued for a long time, but eventually things improved.

Though, such problem are non-existent today, the inherent distrust still lingers on. The taunt of having fifth column feelings is faced by almost all Muslims at some point or the other. The worst thing is that not only the illiterate, but even educated people behave in the same manner.

People have just failed to understand that Muslims, who stayed back in India, did not leave the place because they considered it their motherland. It is their love for this country that prompted them to remain here.

Terrorism

The biggest menace of modern India, terrorism is clearly a Pakistan promoted monster. Be it the traditional battleground of Kashmir or the rise of neo-terrorism among the dissatisfied Muslim youth, Pakistan has played a major role.

After Partition, the biggest ploy for Pakistan to destabilise India was terrorism, first in the name of Kashmir’s autonomy and later about India’s perceived apathy towards Muslims. Most of all to avenge the creation of Bangladesh. In these unholy intentions of Pakistan, the Muslims of India became the unsuspecting victims.

Indian Muslims faced the double edged sword, with Pakistan exploiting them for their malicious intentions and Indians suspecting them for their soft corner for Pakistan. This alienated majority of the Muslims from the mainstream.

This compounded the problem further. Then the rise of religious parties like BJP and lack of leadership within the community further led to the disillusionment of Muslims from the system. Incidents like Babri demolition and post Godhra riots further added fuel to the fire and strained relations to breaking point.

Here, if we conclude that the formation of Pakistan is essentially the reason for most, if not all, the problems faced by Indian Muslims, it will not be an exaggeration.

It has been long since the country was partitioned. A whole new generation of Muslims has come which had no role in the partition and which is as Indian as any Hindu or Sikh or Christian would be. They want to contribute in the progress of country. The only thing that they need is an unbiased approach in dealing with them. We need to understand that Muslims are an integral part of India and they are not lacking in patriotism.

The only question here is, are we ready for a paradigm shift? India needs to answer that!

Ok lets first make one thing clear. My family migrated from india and yes both sides of my family were from the wealthy land owning class. but when they came to Pakistan they had nothing all of my family worked very hard and lifted themselves from there boot straps and now are living in extremely comfortable life.
I my entire life living in Karachi or Lahore have never felt as a second class citizen i have always been treated equally like my punjabi or sindhi freinds. Let us not forget that Musharraf was also a Muhajir so i think the community is in a very good position right now and i hope that we work for the betterment of pakistan. 1992 was a sad moment in history but i think the wounds have healed and people are now moving.
If Muslims are treated well in India it is not Pakistans fault it is the fault of people that harbor prejudice in their heart. Please dont blame Pakistan for societal problems in India.
My grandfather just before dying a couple of years ago told me that coming to Pakistan was the best decision he ever made and that i should not forget what this country of ours has given us ever.

The Muslims of India migrated to Pakistan in the hope of a better future. They thought of living with their ‘own’ people in their ‘own’ land. But it was nothing more than a mere utopia. The bubble burst and the problem of being a ‘Muhajir’ cropped up soon enough.
As somebody who's father migrated from India, I take exception to that. People didn't just migrate in hopes of a better future, people migrated leaving behind a lot of wealth and property, in spite of knowing fully well that nothing awaits for them in Pak and they'll have to start from scratch.

Oh and we're still better off in Pakistan than most ethnic communities. I think my dad got a brilliant education in Pakistan (and his family started from scratch, no money no property, no business). He got some great jobs in Pakistan on his own merit.

The biggest menace of modern India, terrorism is clearly a Pakistan promoted monster. Be it the traditional battleground of Kashmir or the rise of neo-terrorism among the dissatisfied Muslim youth, Pakistan has played a major role.

Oh c'mon did Pakistan mind warp the Hindus into killing 2000 Muslims in Gujarat? Does Pakistan till today continue to forcefully remove Islamic attire off women in India? Does Pakistan till today continue to keep Hindu/Muslim communities?

Indian Muslims faced the double edged sword, with Pakistan exploiting them for their malicious intentions and Indians suspecting them for their soft corner for Pakistan. This alienated majority of the Muslims from the mainstream.

This compounded the problem further. Then the rise of religious parties like BJP and lack of leadership within the community further led to the disillusionment of Muslims from the system. Incidents like Babri demolition and post Godhra riots further added fuel to the fire and strained relations to breaking point.
These statements goes to show that Indian Hindus have a trust problem of their own with the Indian Muslims. They continue to view the Indian Muslims as Pakistan's compatriots and then expect loyalty to India from them.

Wasn't it in India when a Muslim went to the police to complain against Hindus, the Muslim was told "Go back to Pakistan".

Pakistan is not the problem, Pakistan is the solution to the tyrannized minorities of India!

People have just failed to understand that Muslims, who stayed back in India, did not leave the place because they considered it their motherland. It is their love for this country that prompted them to remain here.

Part of my father's family stayed behind. Especially sisters and cousins that were married to different place in India in different families. It had nothing to do with their love for India, leaving all your wealth and property behind isn't an easy task for everybody.

Also whichever family had a lot of women also stayed behind since crossing the border meant taking up arms against Hindus and Sikhs that were slaughtering them.

The creation of Pakistan was one of the bloodiest incidents of modern history. As a country struggling to free itself from the clutches of imperialist Britain, India was not ready for such bloodshed and division, especially in the name of religion. But, because of Jinnah’s Muslim League and to an extent even Congress, Indians had to face the worst nightmare.

Let's recall history a bit here. Wasn't the first cross border killing the very first train that reached Pakistan - it carried only dead bodies? THAT was your India's doing. The problem, the headache.

Ok lets first make one thing clear. My family migrated from india and yes both sides of my family were from the wealthy land owning class. but when they came to Pakistan they had nothing all of my family worked very hard and lifted themselves from there boot straps and now are living in extremely comfortable life.
I my entire life living in Karachi or Lahore have never felt as a second class citizen i have always been treated equally like my punjabi or sindhi freinds. Let us not forget that Musharraf was also a Muhajir so i think the community is in a very good position right now and i hope that we work for the betterment of pakistan. 1992 was a sad moment in history but i think the wounds have healed and people are now moving.
If Muslims are treated well in India it is not Pakistans fault it is the fault of people that harbor prejudice in their heart. Please dont blame Pakistan for societal problems in India.
My grandfather just before dying a couple of years ago told me that coming to Pakistan was the best decision he ever made and that i should not forget what this country of ours has given us ever.

Fully agreed, every nation has problems, Americans with their such advanced civilization still have problems with the Blacks & other nationalities. At least we are better to have some freedom, at least we don't have to worry that our women will get raped by hindu extremists, pregnant women ripped open & their fetus thrown away, women raped in front of the family members, can't own homes in other cities, etc etc etc

Yeah, we do have our own problems, but we are way way better then to have been under the Indian rule, we have our own education system, own national anthem, religious freedom, own army & lots of other things. If we had been under India, we would have been just like rest of the Muslims living in India, at least if not all some of the Muslims are living a life worth living.

Let's recall history a bit here. Wasn't the first cross border killing the very first train that reached Pakistan - it carried only dead bodies? THAT was your India's doing. The problem, the headache.

What happened after partition ?

Anything divided is a cause of tragic end be it just a single home or an entire country. That's what happened to India. Some brave men were able to unbind their motherland by the chains of British but they were unaware of the internal bleeding within her body that could perish one million and leave twelve million homeless (According to Richard Symonds).

It left behind a trail of unforgivable crime. In a couple of months, a millions of people were slaughtered on both sides in the religious rioting. Men, women and children who died in the rioting were cremated on a mass scale. Oil and kerosene were used by villagers to burn the dead bodies when wood was scarce. There was nothing called law and order in the country, many died in riots, massacre or just from the hardships of their flight to safety.

BBC in one of its documentary reports that over 10 million people were uprooted from their homeland. They traveled on foot, bullock carts and trains to their promised new home, which was pictured as the most perfect place to breathe in a new life.

About 14.5 million refuges poured across the borders. Based on 1951 Census of displaced persons, 7,226,000 Muslims went to Pakistan from India while 7,249,000 Hindus and Sikhs moved to India from Pakistan immediately after partition. Estimates of the number of deaths range around 1,000,000, with low estimates at 500,000 and high estimates at 1,500,000. One of the pictures taken by BBC during the partition shows a street filled with dead bodies, where vultures were having their feast. Looking at the tragic scene Bourke-White's biographer Vicki Goldberg, writes “The street was short and narrow. Lying like the garbage across the street and in its open gutters were bodies of the dead,"

In the March 1947 riots, the Sikhs or Rawalpindi faced annihilation and large number of them left the district. Within a few weeks almost the entire Sikh population had migrated from the district. Rioting in Punjab started in first week of December in the district of Hazara. A Holy war was declared on Hindus and Sikhs. Sikh habitations were wiped out, Gurdwaras were desecrated. Rioting in Lahore was started in March 4 1947, it started out as stabbing and small incidents and spread out to become arson and murder. Soon after Muslims in Amritsar (muslims were about 40-50% of population before partition) went rioting, a mob tried to attack Golden Temple and were repulsed with a pitched battle fought between handful of Sikhs under Jathedar Udham Singh Nagoke. Same day Muslims of Sharifpura (a suburb of Amristar), stopped a train full of refugees from Pakistan for slaughter. After this incident, Sikhs and Hindus in Amritsar were furious and many innocent Muslims had to bear the fury of anger. Soon after Amritsar was empty of Muslims. While total number of casualties were about same on both sides, about 100-150 million refugees were exchanged between both countries. There were large number of atrocities inflicted on women, many were abducted and raped. In village Thoh Khalsa (now in Pakistan), 1000 Sikh and Hindu women jumped into well to save their honor after their menfolks were killed by Muslim mobs. It is estimated that about 1 million Hindus/Sikhs/Muslims were murdered and 10-50 millions were injured. Property lost was in trillion of dollars.

A research states that the partition of India ranks, one of the 10 greatest tragedies in human history. It could have been an evitable event. India got its freedom at the prize of a divide country.

There is no word to describe the atrocities that happened in the Punjab in the summer and fall of 1947. It is amongst the most horrible ones of the 20th century. It is considered for some as ethnic cleansing. Entire Hindu quarters from Lahore were set to flames, trains carrying Muslims were attacked, Sikhs ambushed Muslim villages near Amritsar. 1 million people died from flames, knives, sabers, rapes, decapitations, wounds, dismemberments, gun shots, hayforks.

The Partition of India and Pakistan

Usual bullshit expected from Indians.Let me tell you story about one of our Army Chief.He migrated from India.His father got government job (Civil Servant) his father served in Turkish Embassy.His brother was director of some huge Pakistani Government Organization.He himself became
Chief of Army Staff in 1999 and President for 9 years.Musharraf only had few rs when he came to Pakistan.They used to live in a 2 room very small house and you can see how much Musharraf has gained.Also our DG ISI and JCOAS Akther Abdur Rehman also migrated from India and got top slots in Army..The list is endless.Please reconcile to the fact that Partition's happened and Pakistan is a independent sovereign nation now.I know you can't digest it.We will never become your satellite state like Nepal or BD.PS: General Zia was also a Mohajir.Damn Pakistan must be treating Mohajir's badly that they reached top slots in Army, Ceo's of Huge Pakistani Government Organization and even became Presidents for Years!

Last edited:
looking at the title i want to hit the writer with my shoes "Pak birth of a problem" BS, they r goign to blame the social problems of India on Pak
My family migrated from Ludheyana(indian punjab) and my grand mother is still alive to tell me stories of what exactly happened, her family was also rich with cattle and land to look after but after Pakistan was made her family had decided not to migrate & become a part of India but they were robbed her parents killed along with her sisters, they were FORCED to migrate by the Hindus in the village coz they think Muslims belong to Pak so they must go there, many rich muslims didnt wanted to go to Pak but they were forced to mograte, she came to Lahore with her bro and all other family members killed & she still has got sword cuts on her face, we never ever faced any thing like "muhajir discrimination" we r living like all Pakistanis & mentioned by other members many many ppl at high posts in PAk r all Muhajir we never ever thought about this kind of discrimination,grand mother even says tht its better we came to Pak, we are a part of this nation this nation gave us everything we needed for a good life & we r proud to be a part of it. we will live for this nation & die for this nation & then be a part of the soil of this nation :pakistan:

While I wont go that far and use such rude words, BUT, all of our Indian members here should refrain from using titles like this:

:undecided::disagree:

The Original Poster could have used many other nice words!! :disagree:

Please read the first line of the post...and click on the link....the thread name is the title of the article....and I have mentioned..I don't like the title of the article.

I would not call it rude bro .The op expects harsh treatment from Mods.This is a Pakistani Defence Forum.

my grand mother told me tht all ppl in trains going from India to Pak were killed except the driver and they used to tell driver to take this train of corpses to Pak n tell them THIS IS PAKISTAN :angry:

my grand mother told me tht all ppl in trains going from India to Pak were killed except the driver and they used to tell driver to take this train of corpses to Pak n tell them THIS IS PAKISTAN :angry:

Well my Grand mother and my Uncle told me stories of Trains from Pakistan coming Choked with dead bodies.....piled upon each other....men with limbs ripped apart...and women their breasts chopped off and sex organs mutilated......
These sad and scary stories are a part of both sides history...:cry:

Back
Top Bottom