What's new

Pakistanis told to drink less tea as nation grapples with economic crisis

China neither gives a crap about greylist or blacklist so they will continue to keep investing in Pakistan. Getting off the greylist is necessary as brings FDI from the West. If Pakistan gets off the greylist and manages to attract significant FDI from the West then Pakistan will be able to sustain a high growth rate which it has previously failed to do.
How much of FDI has come from China? When you say invest, I hope that you don't mean CPEC loans.

Getting off FATF grey list is of prime importance for Pakistan's economy. Many in this forum think it is nothing and not a big deal. I think it is the opposite. Pakistan would have had more FDI and not face the current BOP crisis if not for this grey list.

Last edited:
The public should stop having 16 hours buffet daily and stop refurbishment of their swimming pool.

The public is at fault.

It's the edible oil/oil seeds imports which is hurting more, $5.45 billion in year 2021, could swell more this fin. year.

And this can be actually reduced with less consumption and more curbs. Tea import is around 750 million USD and not much can be saved from the cuts.

In the year 2021, total edible oil and oil seed import bill skyrocketed to a whopping $5.45 billion against $2.63 billion recorded three years back in 2019, showing a staggering hike in import cost of edible oil and oilseeds by 107.22 percent.

During 2019, Pakistan imported 2.69 million tonnes of soybean and canola oilseed, valued at $1.10 billion. In addition to this, 2.55 million tonnes of palm oil and other byproducts were also imported during the same year, costing another $1.53 billion in the same year.

How much of FDI has come from China? When you say invest, I hope that you don't mean CPEC loans.

Getting off FATF grey list is of prime importance for Pakistan's economy. Many in this forum think it is nothing and not a big deal. I think it is the opposite. Pakistan would like have had more FDI and not face the current BOP crisis if not for this grey list.
Navigating through Pakistan State Bank's website was cancerous to say the least. I managed to find the figures for foreign investment in Pakistan by countries for 2021.

Foreign Investment in Pakistan by Countries

Navigating through Pakistan State Bank's website was cancerous to say the least. I managed to find the figures for foreign investment in Pakistan by countries for 2021.

Foreign Investment in Pakistan by Countries
I've seen this before. China's investment (not loan) is very little for country of Pakistan's size. You seem to believe that it is good enough and that FATF grey list is not so important. I do not agree with that idea.

A country of Pakistan's size should get around $15 to $20 billion net $ investment inflow. FATF is a roadblock for that.

I've seen this before. China's investment (not loan) is very little for country of Pakistan's size. You seem to believe that it is good enough and that FATF grey list is not so important. I do not agree with that idea.

A country of Pakistan's size should get around $15 to $20 billion net $ investment inflow. FATF is a roadblock for that.
Where did I say that? I completely echo what you are saying in this post.

1655658331956.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom