What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Santro, as far as i know, JF-17 has a western compatible data link, it can communicate with Erieye, so if Chinese AEW&C is being brought in, it would means it will also have capability to interact with JF-17, thus most probably the Chinese system has also equipment which is able to interact on western standard data link capability. If PAF with help of Chinese can make a western data link work with Chinese radar and avionics, then definitely they can make the ZDK-03 AEW&C work with a western data link system, especially if the ZDK-03 is made on western MIL STD codes and standard.

As said many times in other threads, the Chinese can make systems based on western standards for export orders, while their own systems would be on different codes and standards.

If that AFM article about PAF is seen, it gives the reason of not letting both sensitive platforms communicate each other due to prying eyes, and that sentence is quoted " ", meaning this has been said by some PAF official. As swedes would be worried that if data fusion is done between both of them, the Chinese may have a peek inside their system, same may be the worry of the Chinese also.

I don't believe it says, both systems can't talk to the aircraft it is controlling, whether it be western ones or Chinese ones.

But as time passes we will be able to learn more, as for now nothing is clear, but PAF will not let have two separate systems work in such a way that each one controls one set of aircraft.

And both AEW&Cs would be supported by GCS, as AEW&C are not fully command centers due to limitation of size on platform, which is not faced in a bigger AWACS.

Is it confirmed that Kj-200 has AESA radar

and does erieye also has AESA or nt?

Is it confirmed that Kj-200 has AESA radar

and does erieye also has AESA or nt?

Chinese KJ-200 has AESA, as well as Erieye has AESA also.

But what PAF will get ZDK-03, right now seems to have PESA or something else, but not an AESA.

Sir PAF jf-17 and f-16 both use NATO standard data linking "Link -16" it means both can be data linked with Erieye and Chinese AWAC (as zdk-03 customized for PAF will surely have link-16 data linking ability as jf-17 have) so there is no problem of LINKING any of these aircrafts with either chinese or sweedish AWACS

The article of AFM mentions that only Erieye and chinese AWACS will not be data linked with each other but surely they both will be data linked with any type of aircrafts in LIKE JF-17,F-16 AND FC-20 and ground radars

This article below was earlier pasted by Fatman 17 earlier it states that Erieye AWAC is for F16 with PAF and Chinese AWAC will be compatible with JF-17 and other Chinese fighters only.

ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 28-Apr-2010

Jane's Defence Weekly

Pakistan takes delivery of second Erieye AEW&C aircraft

Gareth Jennings Jane's Aviation Desk Editor - London

Pakistan has taken delivery of its second Saab 2000 Erieye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft, the company announced on 26 April.

According to Saab, the aircraft will now undergo final tests in Pakistan, which mainly will focus on verifying the Ericsson (now part of Saab) PS-890 Erieye radar system, which is fitted to the aircraft as a dorsal 'plank' antenna.

The Erieye features an electronic-warfare suite that includes electronic support, threat-warning and countermeasures dispensing subsystems, an identification friend-or-foe subsystem, command-and-control (C2) capabilities and a ground-based mission trainer.

The first of four aircraft was handed over to the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) on 8 December 2009 during a formal ceremony at PAF Kamra. The Erieye aircraft will be operated by 3 Squadron based at Chaklala in the northeast of the country.

A delivery schedule for the remaining two aircraft has not yet been announced.

The contract to purchase the Erieye aircraft was first signed in October 2005 but suspended following the earthquake in Pakistan. The contract was finalised in June 2006, with the first aircraft being rolled out from Saab's facility in Linköping, Sweden, on 27 March 2008.

The Erieye will data-link with the PAF's Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcons but not with its Dassault Mirage fleet. In January 2009 Pakistan decided to procure four Chinese-built Shaanxi Y-8 AEW&C aircraft to complement its Erieye order.

Not yet delivered, these aircraft, which are based on the Ukrainian-built Antonov An-12 'Cub', are intended to be compatible with Chinese-built aircraft in the PAF's inventory, such as the PAC/CAC JF-17 Thunder, CAC F-7 and NAMC A-5-III 'Fantan' fighters.

Santro, as far as i know, JF-17 has a western compatible data link, it can communicate with Erieye, so if Chinese AEW&C is being brought in, it would means it will also have capability to interact with JF-17, thus most probably the Chinese system has also equipment which is able to interact on western standard data link capability. If PAF with help of Chinese can make a western data link work with Chinese radar and avionics, then definitely they can make the ZDK-03 AEW&C work with a western data link system, especially if the ZDK-03 is made on western MIL STD codes and standard.

As said many times in other threads, the Chinese can make systems based on western standards for export orders, while their own systems would be on different codes and standards.

If that AFM article about PAF is seen, it gives the reason of not letting both sensitive platforms communicate each other due to prying eyes, and that sentence is quoted " ", meaning this has been said by some PAF official. As swedes would be worried that if data fusion is done between both of them, the Chinese may have a peek inside their system, same may be the worry of the Chinese also.

I don't believe it says, both systems can't talk to the aircraft it is controlling, whether it be western ones or Chinese ones.

But as time passes we will be able to learn more, as for now nothing is clear, but PAF will not let have two separate systems work in such a way that each one controls one set of aircraft.

And both AEW&Cs would be supported by GCS, as AEW&C are not fully command centers due to limitation of size on platform, which is not faced in a bigger AWACS.

I raised the question when I saw the statement in multiple places, the AFM article recently, the interview done with tanvir mehmood and in the book by alan warnes.
Both the book and the previous interview state "The chinese system will talk to the chinese aircraft and the western system to the western aircraft"

I raised the question when I saw the statement in multiple places, the AFM article recently, the interview done with tanvir mehmood and in the book by alan warnes.
Both the book and the previous interview state "The chinese system will talk to the chinese aircraft and the western system to the western aircraft"

Yeah I had read it too, but as said i had been told something else by someone having knowledge of the system.

If the Chinese aircraft had been wanted to communicate with only the Chinese platform, then we would have used Chinese data link equipment, which we did not. Check the communication antenna on the ROSE Mirages and some of the F-7s, they all have now communication antennas shaped just like the one on JF-17s, thus it would suggest that PAF is going for uniformity. Even the communication antennas under the nose and on the fuselage of JF-17 is different compared to the ones which have now been seen on the FC-1 Prototype# 06, which are of Chinese origin. So JF-17 communication equipment is not Chinese, then definitely they would be of some other origin, and with the love PAF has for western equipment, we can be sure it is western in nature. Check out the new upgraded Turkish F-5s and see how much similar its antennas in shape wise as well as placement wise on the plane matches to JF-17.

And as for such statements, well they may be for misleading as it may bring some scrutiny as no western would like that their tech should be able to communicate with the Chinese one.

Logically, how can we have 4 AEW&Cs for just 60-70 western aircraft, while 4 would be covering the whole other fleet of Chinese aircraft.

PAF has for sure or will find out a solution to this problem, which definitely is there in the JF-17, with western standard data link capability working with Chinese avionics suit.

Here see some of the previous posts about this same thing:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...-thunder-multirole-fighter-thread-3-a-62.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-aviation/1284-pakistan-awacs-aew-cs-aircrafts-94.html

See at the antennas, there is similarity, my guess is, they are of South African origin, which may have been influenced by the Israeli tech, as SA Cheetahs were upgraded with help and tech from the Israelis and we had considerable help from the SAs with regard to some critical PAF systems, this data link tech may be one of them.

Yeah I had read it too, but as said i had been told something else by someone having knowledge of the system.

If the Chinese aircraft had been wanted to communicate with only the Chinese platform, then we would have used Chinese data link equipment, which we did not. Check the communication antenna on the ROSE Mirages and some of the F-7s, they all have now communication antennas shaped just like the one on JF-17s, thus it would suggest that PAF is going for uniformity. Even the communication antennas under the nose and on the fuselage of JF-17 is different compared to the ones which have now been seen on the FC-1 Prototype# 06, which are of Chinese origin. So JF-17 communication equipment is not Chinese, then definitely they would be of some other origin, and with the love PAF has for western equipment, we can be sure it is western in nature. Check out the new upgraded Turkish F-5s and see how much similar its antennas in shape wise as well as placement wise on the plane matches to JF-17.

And as for such statements, well they may be for misleading as it may bring some scrutiny as no western would like that their tech should be able to communicate with the Chinese one.

Logically, how can we have 4 AEW&Cs for just 60-70 western aircraft, while 4 would be covering the whole other fleet of Chinese aircraft.

PAF has for sure or will find out a solution to this problem, which definitely is there in the JF-17, with western standard data link capability working with Chinese avionics suit.

Here see some of the previous posts about this same thing:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...-thunder-multirole-fighter-thread-3-a-62.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-aviation/1284-pakistan-awacs-aew-cs-aircrafts-94.html

See at the antennas, there is similarity, my guess is, they are of South African origin, which may have been influenced by the Israeli tech, as SA Cheetahs were upgraded with help and tech from the Israelis and we had considerable help from the SAs with regard to some critical PAF systems, this data link tech may be one of them.

checked with somebody in the loop I know, they aren't South African, but the information I got was enough to sweep the doubts and put a nice little smile on my face when I heard it.
Believe me, its much better then what we are speculating about. Nuff said.:cheesy:

checked with somebody in the loop I know, they aren't South African, but the information I got was enough to sweep the doubts and put a nice little smile on my face when I heard it.
Believe me, its much better then what we are speculating about. Nuff said.:cheesy:

If u have such information and knowledge.do share it with us ,so it will add to our knowledge and will be appreciated

Chinese KJ-200 has AESA, as well as Erieye has AESA also.

But what PAF will get ZDK-03, right now seems to have PESA or something else, but not an AESA.

i dont know a single country that have two systems completely different from each other.

paf is always concerned about maintanance.now if i,m not wrong the zdk/03 is a rotating disc.means more maintanance.

world is moving on to aesa ect. but we are going back to cold war era ROTATING DISCS.

If u have such information and knowledge.do share it with us ,so it will add to our knowledge and will be appreciated

I can tell you when and if the time is right. I can openly release a lot of info I get by just listening and asking stuff at the right time. But when I feel it may compromise security(mine in case some intelligence fellow is bored enough to snoop here :P :rofl:).
But regarding the post I have told taimikhan in brief and then he can form a more accurate speculation for the rest.

And NO im not special.. just lucky.

Last edited:

If that is true what you are saying. It is party time I guess.

:bunny::cheers:

Having read Santro posts - I have found a lot of credible info which eventually was released in public.So what he says does have credibility.

Hi,

That is more than enough information---atleast I don't want to hear any more. Keep the lid on.

Back
Top Bottom