What's new

Pakistan's Jewish Problem

In Israel's wars the Arabs lost the battles but the Gulf Arab rulers gained great wealth through oil. They spent a lot of that money on themselves, a little supporting their own populace, a lot buying up Western assets, and some they spread abroad: forbidden by Western laws to purchase high-tech and defense firms directly, they initiated propaganda and aid projects to spread their views with the aim of recruiting allies to reverse their multiple defeats. Nowhere has this initiative weighed more heavily than upon Pakistan, whose rulers early on accepted the Arabs' money and "narrative" in the press and schools.

So to some extent Pakistani minds may have become like Arab ones. Here is one Israeli author's analysis of the Arab situation:

Wednesday, October 5, 2005

A letter to his Palestinian neighbors

YOSSI KLEIN HALEVI
GUEST COLUMNIST

Once, before what you call the Second Intifada and we Israelis call the Terror War, a time that seems now to belong to another millennium, I undertook a one-man pilgrimage into your mosques and churches, seeking to know you in your intimate spiritual moments.

I went as a believing Jew, praying and meditating with you wherever you allowed me to enter into your devotional life. My intention was to transcend, however briefly, the political abyss between us by experiencing together something of the presence of God.

During my journey, which took me from Galilee to Gaza, I saw the fearless heart of Islam, its choreography of surrender, in which one becomes a particle in a great wave of devotion, a wave that preceded our arrival on this Earth and that will continue long after we are gone.

I learned that acceptance of mortality can be the basis for a religious language of reconciliation. Repeatedly, Palestinians would say to me, "Why are we arguing over who owns the land when in the end the land will own us both?"

But I learned too, during numerous candid conversations with Palestinians at all levels of society, that, in practice, few within your nation are willing to concede that I have a legitimate claim to any part of this land.

I learned in my journeys into your society that moderation means one thing on the Israeli side and quite another on the Palestinian side. An Israeli moderate recognizes the Palestinian-Israeli conflict as a struggle between two legitimate national narratives. A Palestinian moderate, by contrast, tends to disagree with the extremists about method, not goal: He advocates the disappearance of Israel through more gradualist means, like demographic subversion. He sees a two-state solution as an interim agreement, a step toward a one-state solution, which, of course, is nothing more than a thinly veiled code for the end of a Jewish state and the creation of a Greater Palestine.

My journey into the faiths of my neighbors was part of a much broader attempt among Israelis, begun during the First Intifada, to understand your narrative, how the conflict looks through your eyes. Your society, on the other hand, has made virtually no effort to understand our narrative.

Instead, you have developed a "culture of denial" that denies the most basic truths of the Jewish story. According to this culture of denial, which is widespread not only among your people but throughout the Arab world, there was no Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, no ancient Jewish presence in the land, no Holocaust.

The real problem, then, is not terrorism, which is only a symptom for a deeper affront: your assault on my history and identity, your refusal to allow me to define myself, which is a form of intellectual terror.

I believe that the onus for ending this conflict has now shifted to your side. Many Israelis have made the conceptual breakthrough necessary for peace between us; but we will remain entrenched behind our security fence until we sense a shift in attitudes on your side. The fence represents the antithesis of my hope for an Israel integrated in the Middle East, but I must accept reality and protect myself from your refusal to accept my legitimacy.

I wrote above that your people has made "virtually no effort" to understand who we Jews are.

One remarkable exception was a pilgrimage of Palestinian Israelis to Auschwitz two years ago. For Palestinian citizens of Israel to reach out to Jews at the height of the intifada was the deepest expression of the generosity of Arab culture. I was privileged to be among the Jewish participants in that Arab initiative. We stood at the crematorium, Arabs and Jews holding each other in silence, facing the abyss together. At that moment, anything seemed possible between us.

Lately, perhaps because of the terror lull, I have been thinking again about that journey, and about the journey I took into your devotional life.

I have even allowed myself to miss the intimacy and uplift I felt in your mosques, the conversations about faith and meaning and destiny over endless cups of coffee and tea, the sense of leisurely time expanding into God's time.

I approached you then without apology for my presence here or dismissal of your presence. And that is how I dream of being with you again: as fellow indigenous sons of this land, which one day will claim us both.

Yossi Klein Halevi is a senior fellow at the Shalem Center and the Israel correspondent of The New Republic. He is also author of "At the Entrance to the Garden of Eden: A Jew's Search for God with Christians and Muslims in the Holy Land."

You know, I spend a lot of time digging out the truth of things. I might do my own experiments, look stuff up not just on the internet but in books and journals, witness events or look at evidence myself.

hmmmm, if that were the case then you wouldn't be spurting this bullsh!t right now, now would you?

So to me, your breezy paragraph is ignorant muck. Half a dozen summary conclusions without a single reference or link. Why aren't you ashamed to write this? Or are standards so low in Pakistan that you expect when you throw out half-baked statements that unless somebody else proves you wrong in detail they are to be accepted as truth? Or is it just because you're a Muslim and I'm a Jew that you feel your claims have automatic credibility whereas anything I write does not?

@ Solomon2

your post is nothing but a load of bullsh!t!!!! If anyone should be ashamed than it is you for not doing your own research and instead resorting to posting bullsh!t.

If you have a brain that can comprehend then please read the following:
Visigoth Rule

In 409 C.E., the Visigoths conquered Spain. The Visigoths were Arian Christians, followers of Arius who reasoned that Jesus could not logically co-exist with God and must therefore be subservient to him.

In 587 C.E., King Reccared, the Visigoth king in Spain, converted to Roman Catholicism and made it the state religion. Subsequently, the Church was to exert powerful influence on all aspects of social life. Almost immediately, in 589 C.E., a canon was passed forbidding the marriage between Christians and Jews; and in 612 C.E., the Council of Gundemar of Toledo ordered that all Jews submit to baptism within the year.

In 638 C.E., the Arian Visigoths declared that “only Catholics could live in Spain.”
LINK:Sephardim

Jews under Moorish Spain:
The Golden Age

The situation improved in 711 when Spain fell under the rule of the Muslim Moors. Both Muslims and Jews built a civilization, based in Cordoba, known as Al-Andalus, which was more advanced than any civilization in Europe at that time. Jews were able to coexist peacefully with their neighbors; however, they were still treated as dhimmis, "People of the Book" (Jews and Christians) who are protected under Islamic law. Jews did not have complete autonomy and had to pay a special tax, the jizha , but were able to freely practice their religion.

And this:
The era of Muslim rule in Spain (8th-11th century) was considered the "Golden Age" for Spanish Jewry. Jewish intellectual and spiritual life flourished and many Jews served in Spanish courts. Jewish economic expansion was unparalleled. In Toledo, Jews were involved in translating Arabic texts to the romance languages, as well as translating Greek and Hebrew texts into Arabic. Jews also contributed to botany, geography, medicine, mathematics, poetry and philosophy.

A number of well-known Jewish physicians practiced during this period, including Hasdai Ibn Shaprut (915-970), who was the doctor for the Caliph (leader of Spain). Many famous Jewish figures lived during the Golden Age and contributed to making this a flourishing period for Jewish thought. These included Samuel Ha-Nagid, Moses ibn Ezra, Solomon ibn Gabirol Judah Halevi and Moses Maimonides.

Jews lived separately in aljamas (Jewish quarters). They were given administrative control over their communities and managed their own communal affairs. Jews had their own court system, known as the Bet Din. Rabbis served as judges and rendered both religious and civil legal opinions.

Jews in Ottoman Empire:
In the first Sephardi Diaspora, a large number of Jews settled in North Africa and in the Ottoman Empire, especially, Turkey and Greece. Spanish exiles brought with them a unique culture, language (Ladino) and traditions. Many of these immigrants continued to speak Ladino until the 20th century.

For hundreds of years, Sephardic Jews lived, as dhimmis, in relative peace with Muslim neighbors and rulers in North Africa and in the Ottoman Empire. They were considered second-class citizens, but were free to practice their own religion and participate in commerce. Similar to Spain and Portugal during the Golden Era, the Sephardic upper class in the Ottoman empire were employed as translators.

The Sephardic communities in the Arab world were more receptive to modernity than their Ashkenazi counterparts in Europe. The Zionist movement became popular among Sephardic Jews in North Africa. Many Sephardic rabbis in the Ottoman Empire supported Zionism and the Zionist movement spread to many Muslim countries in North Africa, such as in Egypt and Tunisia.

The Istanbul Center of Atlanta, Georgia, Peace Valley Foundation of Alabama, and their co-sponsors present an exhibition of images commemorating over 500 years of Jewish-Turkish history, courtesy of The Quincentennial Foundation Museum of Turkish Jews in Istanbul, Turkey, the official museum in Turkey that archives objects and images documenting Jewish life in Turkey. The collection is designed to illuminate the special relationship between the Jewish community and the Turkish people that began primarily in the 15th century when Jews fleeing persecution from Spain settled in the Ottoman Empire at the invitation of Ottoman Sultan Mehmet II.
LINK:Exhibit to Commemorate Turkish Jewish History begins Jan. 10 | UAH Library Blog (indeed, very anti-semetic of him to invite those fleeing Jews into the Ottoman Caliphate, i feel sad for those poor jews who suffered because of his invitation! maybe we should build a monument to remember them always)

Muslims who protected Jews during WW2:
The Mosque That Sheltered Jews

"Their children are like our own children"
"Yesterday at dawn, the Jews of Paris were arrested. The old, the women, and the children. In exile like ourselves, workers like ourselves. They are our brothers. Their children are like our own children. The one who encounters one of his children must give that child shelter and protection for as long as misfortune - or sorrow - lasts. Oh, man of my country, your heart is generous."

- A tract read to immigrant Algerian workers in Paris, asking them to help shelter Jewish children.
LINK:Mosque That Sheltered Jews

And this:
During World War II, when the Germans occupied France, the mosque sheltered resistance fighters and North Africans who had escaped from German POW camps. (The French recruited 340,000 North African troops into the French army in 1939.) When the French police started rounding up Jews and delivering them to the German occupiers, the mosque sheltered Jews as well, most of them children.

And this:
In his book Le PassŽ d'une Discorde: Juifs et Arabes du VIIe SiŽcle ‡ nos Jours (The Days Before the Breach: Jews and Arabs from the 7th Century to Today), Israeli historian Michel Abitbol writes about "the historical drama which, in less than half a century, ended two thousand years of Jewish life in the Arab countries." And he describes the "resplendent Judeo-Arab civilization, one whose inexhaustible intellectual and religious riches nourished the entire Jewish world until the dawn of modern times."

Arab Schindlers:
A new documentary that explores Arab efforts to save Jews from the Holocaust opened to a packed house at the Museum of Tolerance in LA this week. The film, Among the Righteous: Lost Stories from the Holocaust in Arab Lands, is based on a book by Dr. Robert Satloff, a historian and executive director of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.
LINK:Daily Kos: Film on “Arab Schindlers” who saved Jews in WWII premieres at MOTLA

Here's the video of the Author:

Albanians who helped jews during WW2:
There was little history of anti-Semitism in Albania between the local Christians, Muslims, and Jews. Most of the Albanian population was not hostile toward the Jews and helped to hide them during the war, especially when Italy and Germany occupied the country.
LINK:The Virtual Jewish History Tour: Albania

and this:
Germany reconquered the territory from Italy in September 1943. In early 1944, the Gestapo forced all Jews in Tirana to register with the German officials. Consequently, many Jews fled to supportive Albanian villages outside of the cities. When the Germans demanded a list of Jewish families living in Albania, the officials refused to disclose the information; instead the Albanians forewarned the Jews.
LINK:The Virtual Jewish History Tour: Albania

Pristina, Albania - A ceremony honoring the Albanian concept of “besa” and those Albanians who saved Jews from Nazi persecution has been held in Pristina.

The event was marked by the opening of the photo exhibit “Besa: Albanians Who Saved Jews During World War II,” by American photographer Norman Gershman, at the Kosovo Art Gallery in Pristina.

Besa means “keeping your promise” and taking care of those in need, even under difficult circumstances. It is the backbone of Albanian culture and at the heart of Albanians’ code of honor.

The exhibition displays some 70 photos that profile Albanians from both Albania and Kosovo who hosted, protected, and otherwise helped Jews during World War II, when more than 2,000 were saved from the Nazis.
LINK:Pristina - Albanians Who Saved 2,000 Jews During WWII Honored [video] -- VosIzNeias.com

There's plenty more sources and real life accounts of Muslims helping and peacefully coexisting with Jews. While Europeans were slaughtering Jews, Muslims and Jews were living side by side with peace and tranquility (except for a few incidences) through out the Islamic world. While jews weren't allowed to openly practice their religion in Catholic Europe, it was the exact opposite in Muslim lands!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post SilentNinja.
The Muslims vs. Jews propaganda is a relatively recent phenomenon. Traditionally, Muslims have adhered to the Islamic culture which insists on protecting dhimmis and those with whom we have a treaty. These people cannot be harmed. In fact, Islam gives them more protection than any other system. Yet some people like to stick to their own version of history and try to leave out anything that shows Muslims and Jews co-existing.

the reason for this is illiteracy sorry to say but pakistanis for the most part are ignorant people they think all jews are zionists and israelis and attribute all jews to israel another reason is the kissing of arab @ss

@ Jayron

This tarek fatah is a idiot (hey, what can you expect from a left wing liberal fascist idiot who didn't even bother to study Islam and its history of peacefully coexisting with Jews??), and he's only focusing on the present day animosity between Muslims and Jews due to israel-palestinian conflict! Has he forgotten (or did he even bother to study) the past when both Muslims and Jews lived side by side?

"Fascist" Muslims hugging Jews:
AK04_wa.jpg

ahmadinejad_afp.jpg

ahmadinejad_meeting_with_jews.jpg

ahmadijews.jpg

Around more than 40,000 Jews live in "fascist" Islamic Iran as of today (the largest in any Muslim country) under the terrorist nazi regime of mahmoud ahmedinijad and the crazy mullahs.
Iranian Jews refuse cash bribe to move to israel

The Israeli government promised to provide a package of housing and jobs for the twenty-five-thousand Iranian Jews. A special fund created by Israel supporters promised a ten-thousand-dollar cash award for any Iranian Jew who moved to Israel.

The Society of Iranian Jews dismissed this move as a bribe. Iran’s sole Jewish member of parliament, Morris Motamed, said the offer was insulting to Jewish Iranians.

Instead of taking the pro-Israel group up on its offer, the community of Iranian Jews instead took a loyalty pledge to their home country of Iran.
LINK:Iranian Jews refuse cash ‘bribe’ to move to Israel | EUTimes.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, no one bothers seeing both sides of the story. This is what I had said earlier. Picking and choosing words and articles that make Muslims seem anti-Jewish is lame.

Sadder to know is that fact that many of us have also forgotten an important aspect of Islam:

No Muslim is permitted to defame any of the Prophets. It is widely understood to extend to their respective teachings since their teaching comes from God Himself.

Therefore, anti-Jewish and anti-Christian views are not acceptable either.

People can be criticized regardless of their religion, but not their entire religion.

Holding Anti-Judaic sentiments means holding anti-Prophet Musa (Peace Be Upon Him) sentiments
Holding Anti-Christian views is to go against Prophet Isa's (Peace Be Upon Him) teachings.

Note: Moses and Jesus are referred to as Musa (Peace Be Upon Him) and Isa (Peace Be Upon Him) respectively.

It is belived and infact proven in several case , stories that there are still Pakistani jews living in Pakistan till this day in very small numbers specially in karachi . They pass as parsi's most of the time i don't think they have caused any harm to Pakistan and i think they should be able to live in Pakistan without being attacked and etc... i hope when given the chance they can finially come out clean about who they really are and live among everyone else in peace in the country.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom