What's new

Pakistan's Longest Motorway M5 to Boost Road Transport Sector

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
http://www.riazhaq.com/2019/11/pakistans-longest-motorway-m5-to-boost.html

Recent opening of M5, Pakistan's longest access-controlled motorway, is a boost for the nation's fast-growing road transport sector. The 6-lane 392 kilometers long M5 motorway is longer than than the 375 kilometers long 6-lane M2 motorway. After M5 opening, the only missing section in planned 1,694 kilometer long 6-lane Peshawar-Karachi motorway is 296-kilometer Sukkur-Hyderabad M6 motorway. Growing network of high-speed motorways is opening up less developed parts of the country for investment, business and tourism. It is aiding agriculture, trade and commerce by moving freight and people faster.

Here's a brief overview of Pakistan's road transport sector as summarized by Karandaz research:

1. The Transport, Logistics and Communications (TLC) sector is estimated to have contributed 13.3% of GDP in 2016-17. Of this, more than 62% was contributed by the road transport sector. In 2014-15 the sector employed 3.1 million people.

2. Most traffic intensive routes are a) Karachi to Peshawar via Hyderabad-Multan-Faisalabad-Rawalpindi; b) Sukkur to Quetta; c) Karachi to Quetta via the RCD Highway; and d) N-5 National Highway segment of Multan-Lahore-Gujranwala-Rawalpindi.

3. Passengers and freight are the primary segments of road transport sector. The fastest growing freight segment is the delivery vans at 7.5% annually, while for the passenger segment it is motor cabs and taxis at 5.9% annually.

4. Road transport grew at an average rate of 6.2% annually between 1991 and 2016, faster than the average GDP growth rate 4.4% during this period. China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is expected to accelerate transport sect or growth with construction of roads and other transport infrastructure.

5. Freight transport sector is highly lucrative with profit margins ranging from 21% for large trucks to 43% for rickshaws. Passenger transport sector is even more lucrative with 30% profit margin for wagons to 50% for luxury buses.

Here's a video of Uch Sharif service area on M5 Sukkur-Musltan Motorway:

Related Links:

Haq's Musings

South Asia Investor Review

Improved Security and New Infrastructure Boost Pakistan Tourism Industry

CPEC Transforming Least Developed Parts of Pakistan

Pakistan's IT Exports Surging

The Story of Pakistan's M8 Motorway

Pakistan-China-Russia Vs India-Japan-US

Karachi's New Container Terminal Wins Top Infrastructure Award

Remittances From Overseas Pakistanis

Can Imran Khan Lead Pakistan to the Next Level?

China to Invest in Pakistan's Export-Oriented Industries

http://www.riazhaq.com/2019/11/pakistans-longest-motorway-m5-to-boost.html

People has gone nuts. Driving over 180 kmph.
IMG-20191125-WA0000.jpg

Can those mehrans be pushed even half of that 180 figure?
None the less non brainers will test there lucks, cant help them much.
It ain't mehran. And this is not the only one. M5 runs close to my city. Even there was an accident on the day of inauguration.

It ain't mehran. And this is not the only one. M5 runs close to my city. Even there was an accident on the day of inauguration.

Whatever that was could not go very fast. The wheels are clearly not rated for any sort of power. And it is a tin can.

Whatever that was could not go very fast. The wheels are clearly not rated for any sort of power. And it is a tin can.
It can easily cross 120 kmph and reach 150. We have one.
Besides this is the only pic I have at the moment. There was 1300 cc car crash just a day after the inauguration.
IMO an important reason is that imstead of police patrols the authorities have gone with cameras for monitoring and to check over speed. So people overspeed thinking there are no patrols nearby.

I've had a few overtake me on the Motorways while I was doing 120k. Looked like they were just a wind gust away from being flown off into the horizon.

The one in the picture, though, isn't a Mehran.

I've had a few overtake me on the Motorways while I was doing 120k. Looked like they were just a wind gust away from being flown off into the horizon.

The one in the picture, though, isn't a Mehran.

I can connect to your views, have seen plenty of morons flying high by flooring there weight on accelerators without realizing saving few seconds will cut down years of there life.

Though indian govt has introduced the concept of speed governors in public vehicles, many private vehicles and transport vehicles have been big nuisance on highways. It will take decades to improve upon, provided traffic safety is thought from early childhood and is kept on reinforced.

crashes are a part of high speed highways, there will always be stupid drivers and there is nothing you can do about it. Here Canada during winter its common to see 20/30 cars involved in accidents, even heard 300 cars accident in bad snow/ice road conditions (imagine idiots speeding on icy roads)

I can connect to your views, have seen plenty of morons flying high by flooring there weight on accelerators without realizing saving few seconds will cut down years of there life.

Though indian govt has introduced the concept of speed governors in public vehicles, many private vehicles and transport vehicles have been big nuisance on highways. It will take decades to improve upon, provided traffic safety is thought from early childhood and is kept on reinforced.

TBH, it's actually not that bad on Pakistani motorways, the motorway police is quite strict and speed cameras are everywhere. It's actually quite funny how the same people who drive like maniacs in the cities turn very tame as soon as they get on the motorways. You still get that one imbecile every trip who thinks the speed limit just isn't for him.

crashes are a part of high speed highways, there will always be stupid drivers and there is nothing you can do about it. Here Canada during winter its common to see 20/30 cars involved in accidents, even heard 300 cars accident in bad snow/ice road conditions (imagine idiots speeding on icy roads)

A couple of weeks ago, with that first proper snow of this season, 400 accidents were reported within GTA in a 24 hr period.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom