What's new

Pakistan's Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy gets an Oscar!

Miss Chinoy has made entire country proud. :tup:
Don't know, why i have this craving for Pakistani patriotic songs today, here, you guys enjoy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHeQUtRsMLU

As for critics, kindly give it a rest and what they say in urdu.... "Rang may bhung na dalloo, yaroo"

Miss Chinoy has made entire country proud. :tup:
Don't know why i have this craving for Pakistani patriotic songs today, here you guys enjoy too.

DIL DIL PAKISTAN by Vital Signs - YouTube

As for critics, kindly give it a rest and what the say in urdu.... "Rang may bhung na dalloo, yaroo"

Chinnoy is more of an opportunist. No praises for the doctor that performs surgery for these women free of cost? I believe he the true patriot here. :disagree:

I was debating myself over this. I have pinpointed many social, political, religious tolerance problems in Pakistan on this very forum, but I've also tried to present a positive image of Pakistan. I was thinking to myself: should she have tried to present Pakistan in a better light? Then I realized, well, she's an artist, not a politician/diplomat, she thinks from her heart & has full right to do so. I do not agree with her political views on the Taliban, but I have sympathy for her causes. So while I feel a little uncomfortable that she presented Pakistan in a poor light, I am happier that as a Pakistani, she has won a prestigious award, & that Pakistan will get recognized internationally for its arts.

But this will be nothing compared to the achievement of this film actually helping to reduce this social evil inside Pakistan. If this film only appeals to the liberals & the moderates, & alienates the people it is actually meant for, I will see this movie as a 'lost cause' on a big level. That is the thing that will make me unhappy. However, if this film does help reduce acid burning inside Pakistan & not merely an Oscar winner, I will deem this film as a huge success. My best friend is a lawyer, & she deals with acid attacks victims (public court service) all the time. She could get into corporate law and earn a lot of money, but I believe she only earns a salary of about 13000 rupees a month in the job she's in, but it's for a noble cause. I am extremely proud of her, & she is a true hero. I also feel such people are much bigger heroes for Pakistan than Chinoy is (not to belittle her achievements), although I do recognize her achievements, & what she has done for Pakistan is truly splendid.

But even though the Oscar is a 'prestigious' award internationally, so is the Nobel Peace Prize, something Obama has won & a person like Edhi hasn't. I know it's easier said, but even the level of 'prestigiousness' of such awards can be argued.

I think this is a very interesting debate. RazPak's argument definitely has some merit, that the film might have won the Oscar because it showed Pakistan in a poor light. Well, that might very well be true. Another argument of his is that the true heroes (the doctor etc) are never really recognized internationally. And the third argument one can make is that how 'prestigious' are these awards really, especially when a warmongering President can win a 'prestigious' award like the Nobel Peace Prize & a person like Edhi can't, then how prestigious is it really is.

But even keeping in mind those arguments, Sharmeen Obaid is not a politician/diplomat, she is an 'artist' who experienced the plight of such women suffering at the hands of such social evils & felt it from her heart, & if her movie can help raise awareness or reduce this social evil, I think this film is a huge achievement, & the Oscar would be nothing compared to it.

one can never fin a good positive image film makers in pakistan i guess

shoeb mansur makes movies about 'rape problem' of pakistan

and nowsomeone makes documentary about the 'acid throwing' of pakistan

no positive contribution just pleasing the west

now please some one stand up and make movie about mukhtara mai, drone attackls bomb blasts, red light districts like heera mandi etc, please

thanks
umad? pakistan is lucky to hav people like shoaib mansoor who show wt really goes in our society, directors like him dont keep our nation in their own imaginary bubbles like 'everything is good about pakistan, everyone is happy in pakistan'. i m glad that pakistan film industry isnt fake and based on lies. our society learns from movies like bol, khuda ke liye etc and helps others focus/understand the problems in the society inorder to stop them, as for other countries and wt they think, not a single gram of sh** shall be givin to wt they or anyone thinks, awareness in the society is all that counts, i wish we had more people like shohaib mansoor and miss sharmeen :pakistan: p.s, i agree with razpak too

Who gives a fck about the award. Larki tho Khan Sahab le gaye hay...

395338_10150584103391482_200839071481_9198264_555641727_n.jpg

So what did our people learn from this? Brownie points for Chinnoy and Pakistan, but who is going to do anything about these acid attacks?

It's like a dog that gets a biscuit for every time he bites itself.

No surprise that the Oscar Academy Awards gave the documentary that presents and highlights the worst of Pakistan. They like these self-degrading type of things, they think it's empowering to women, they always portray Muslim women in conservative Muslim countries as victims of a brutal and oppressive culture. Typical basts. I'm not saying some of these problems don't exist but neither is it the full story...

Nonetheless, congratulation for her win.

Well, some people argued that it showed a bad light on Pakistan's actions, obviously yes. Intolerance men is the biggest problems in Pakistan who threw acid on her faces, it is not Sharmeen's faults or some political motivated. Simple, men society issues!

If this doesn't happened, Pakistan would be in perfect light of holy pure country in the world. :pakistan:

Well, some people argued that it showed a big light on Pakistan's actions, obviously yes. Intolerance men is the biggest problems in Pakistan who threw acid on her faces, it is not Sharmeen's faults or some political motivated. Simple, men society issues!

If this doesn't happened, Pakistan would be in perfect light of holy pure country in the world. :pakistan:

its not just restricted to women of pakistan, women have been arrested for throwing acid at men too, and acid throwing happen in india, bangladesh etc etc countries too

the thing is, every damn issue is made, a feminie gender

you also have to agree, while you may see this issue as in gender light, but the reality is,pakistani women recieve more respect than the west and in urban population such as karachi etc, the literate family treats a women more than man

woman is not allowed to do tiresome jobs while the male is responsible for the livelihood,any bad behaviour against women is considered a very serious offence, and a man cannot slap a woman if she commits some mistake, in a family the daughters are first to be married and then the elders think about their sons

so, no pakistan is not a country where a woman is raped, tortured to death and has no freedom, but it appears in the media so

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom