What's new

Patterns of Growth and Governance in China and India

fly2012

Reaction score
This is a presentation given by Professor Pranab Bardhan from UC Berkeley. As an Indian and frequent visitor of China, I find that he has very good knowledge and insight of both countries and this presentation is definitely good for anyone who wants to learn more about India and China's development. He has some unique insights that are different from conventional wisdom. I cannot comment on the India portion but a few interesting observation on China is very interesting, such as:

1. The poverty lift is mainly due to 1978's agricultural reform, not globalization
2. Some key fields of development happened way before 1980s, basic health care in rural area actually gets worse after economic boom.
3. For GINI index, inequality of opportunity is much worse than inequality of income.

The comparison of Indian and China's corruption pattern is also interesting.

And PLEASE don't use this thread as a trolling field, this is not about who is better. As I mentioned in several posts that both countries are top winners in last 20-30 years. Internet warriors please move to a different thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom