What's new

PIA plane crash near Model Colony Karachi with 93+ on board

experts in western media like cnn are saying that this accident can be easily avoided if pilot used proper strategy
It seems ATC at the end also made changes and asked the pilot to reduce its altitude but again Pilot should not have gone up in the air after touching engines on runway

pilot was not trained to deal in panic situations and he got afraid after small difficulty in landing while touching on runway,even if this plane crashed on runway less people would have died and also houses would not not destroyed which resulted in loss of life of residents,this should be clear lesson for all pilots in future
It seems ATC at the end also made changes and asked the pilot to reduce its altitude but again Pilot should not have gone up in the air after touching engines on runway

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Rajiun.

Maybe one lesson we can learn from this mishap is to not attempt a second take off with a malfunctioning/damaged aircraft under any circumstances.
In hindsight, it seems that landing on the nose in the first attempt might have incurred less casualties despite the risk of the air frame breaking apart causing rapid depressurisation.

pilot was not trained to deal in panic situations and he got afraid after small difficulty in landing while touching on runway,even if this plane crashed on runway less people would have died and also houses would not not destroyed which resulted in loss of life of residents,this should be clear lesson for all pilots in future
Pilot was fully trained but I think he took things very lightly/calmly or it was not his best day. At start it was his mistake to go back in air and other things went against him but I think he would have made it to runway if ATC didn't instructed him to reduce the altitude nearly 50% and it seems he reduced it only 30% or else it would be not near runway aswell.

i think it will also have very bad impact on reputation of PIA,already they are not allowed to fly to u.s,now it seems europe and many other countries will also ban them due to safety issues as no one will want airplane to cause damage to their public houses

We don't know what actually happened, but from the information we have right now, seems like it was a pilot error. They should not have landed the first time if they knew that the landing gear was not deploying properly. I am sure the aircraft would have given them some kind of warning that the gear is not deployed. Should have a least informed the flight control that there is problem with the gear and then attempted a belly landing.

Even if we think they had no idea about the faulty landing gear, they should have completed the belly landing instead of pulling up the aircraft. By the time they pulled up, the damage had been done to the engines. But again we don't know what the actual circumstances were inside the cockpit. It probably was a instinctive split second decision to pull up. Unfortunately, it proved to be fatal. May all those who lost their lives rest in peace.

Pilot was fully trained but I think he took things very lightly/calmly or it was not his best day. At start it was his mistake to go back in air and other things went against him but I think he would have made it to runway if ATC didn't instructed him to reduce the altitude nearly 50% and it seems he reduced it only 30% or else it would be not near runway aswell.
In an emergency when things are going wrong, there's no time to think and go through all options, and people do what seems right at the moment..
I have many years of service on ships and I had a few accidents and near misses during my watch.
What I did at the time seemed right but later , after it was over , I myself could see many things wrong with my own actions and I could do many things much better. But what I did was the things I could think of at that moment.
And I am on about ships which move far slower than aeroplane.
On a plane the time they get to think and reach a decision is in seconds or a few minutes at best.

that is reason training and education requirements are more strict for pilots flying airplane so only those people become eligible to this job who have quality of taking right decisions in less time but if there is compromise on merit then quality of pilots will decline and result in more accidents.It is not much difficult,there are limited number of scenarios which can result when airplane has disorder and landing gear problem is common ,if pilot had clear instructions by his trainers or seniors about what good decision he should take when this problem occur and told this earlier then it is not much difficult as he was not flying fighterjet with supersonic speed
In an emergency when things are going wrong, there's no time to think and go through all options, and people do what seems right at the moment..
I have many years of service on ships and I had a few accidents and near misses during my watch.
What I did at the time seemed right but later , after it was over , I myself could see many things wrong with my own actions and I could do many things much better. But what I did was the things I could think of at that moment.
And I am on about ships which move far slower than aeroplane.
On a plane the time they get to think and reach a decision is in seconds or a few minutes at best.

Alright guys here is my revised theory:
  1. Plane comes in for 1st landing attempt
  2. Landing gear extends down but does not fully lock
  3. Pilots have no idea that gear is faulty
  4. When plane lands, gear is unstable, engines hit ground
  5. Engines scrape ground causing black skid marks
  6. Pilot immediately goes around
  7. Plane goes around for 2nd landing attempt
  8. Plane circles in air for 7 minutes between landings
  9. During these 7 minutes, hydraulic fluid and oil is rapidly leaking out from pipes that were scraped on bottom of engine. Fuel is NOT leaking out.
  10. Total loss of hydraulic failure after all hydraulic fluid leaks out from ruptured hydraulic pipes on bottom of scraped engine, flaps stop working and landing gear issues get worse. White smoke in PSPK picture is hydraulic fluid leaking out of bottom of the scraped engine.
  11. Ram Air Turbine or manual gear drop deployed to solve landing gear issue.
  12. All oil rapidly leaks out from oil sumps on bottom of scraped engine, both engines shut down without oil, plane now becomes glider with no thrust. Fan blades in engine are intact which means engines were not running when plane crashed.
  13. Since both engines stop working, plane rapidly loses altitude during approach and crashes.
  14. Plane was only leaking hydraulic fluid and oil, not fuel so there is plenty of fuel left when plane crashes causing massive fireball.
Asalaamoalikum, Hope you’re all going well and staying safe.
There is a video (Link posted above) that tells you that the RAT is only for electrical and electronics, the landing gear is hydraulic. So RAT wasn’t for the landing gear but to power electronics and electrical systems (this point will add up near the end of my post so please bare with me).
Another point raised in the video; from the control tower and pilot comms is that you can clearly hear the ding ding ding sound for landing gear issue.

Now your assessment seems most rational.

I’m not an aviation engineer but do work in naval and have systems engineering knowledge. We have backups upon backups upon backups, aviation is known to be even more quality driven. If the landing gear, say did operate but did not lock then I would have believed there existed a feedback signal for landing gear local indication?

Anyway, in case the gear didn’t lock, the pilot just can’t know if the gear is down because you can’t see the gears, simple. Now assume the wasn’t sure then could he not have asked one of the crew to check? I know crew gets pissed at peeps who walk up and down during approach but this is safety issue. If not then the pilot couldn’t have known if the gear was down or what and only way to know is when you hear a bang, in this case something else which would be hitting the tarmac.
But if you do realise the plane has hit the tarmac and the nose is dipping then shouldn’t the pilot know that if the nose is dipping then that most probably means the plane is pivoting at a fulcrum .... which would be the engines and if you are down then stay down because chances are you’ve probably damaged your engines. If you damaged your engines then you won’t have any power for electrical or electronics, thus the RAT.

These are my two bits , sure I can be wrong.
Finally, May I also say that no one should blame the pilot or say otherwise. When you are in the field you do as you are trained so training is where one should be brutally critical. I nor anyone should blame the pilot as I’m sure he did his level best and in this case it just wasn’t enough. Sure we all can be at fault but never doubt ones intention as only Allah knows what we hide what we reveal. I would like believe the pilot did his level best to save all, he did his best and saved two, rather Allah did indeed.

We all have to return to Allah one day.May Allah ease our pain and suffering and give us sabr so that we may be successful in this late and after amen.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajioon.

That is most stupid post ever. You know what is belly landing? You can't abort a belly landing with engines already scraping the runway. you can always abort an attempted landing meaning Plane did not cam in contact with the ground, hence no scrapped engine cowling.
A surviving Passenger said the plane landed then took off and they felt some unusual shaking.
Also how do you explain this?
Engine cowling clearly broken on the bottom and oil leakage.
Polish_20200522_144852576.jpg

That is very strange, once you touch down without landing gear and damage your engines, you must never take off again

A surviving Passenger said the plane landed then took off and they felt some unusual shaking.
View attachment 634930

Last edited:
View attachment 634930

Theses seem to be scrap-off.
It didn't entirely land on its weight, so it was able to take off.

That is very strange, once you touch down without landing gear you must never take off again
It is strange and unusual but that seems to be the only explanation of the type of engine damage seen in the picture.
On second approach the landing gears were open, but the plane had no functional engine.

I stand corrected. This is very rare indeed, never heard about any such instance ever before.

View attachment 634930

Back
Top Bottom