What's new

PM Hasina’s mango diplomacy: Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif gets 1 metric tonne Amrapali

Is that the Miyazaki mango ?
Yes, it is, although I had no prior knowledge about this purple Japanese mango until @Bilal9 told it.

I am surprised because all I knew is that even in hot Okinawa, it is difficult to produce mangoes because the summer is short. I heard that a hard vinyl cover at the top is used to keep the heat inside a mango tree area and the tree branches are intentionally bent down by putting weights at the branch ends to keep the space small.

But, Miyazaki is in Kyushu island north of Okinawa. So, I will have to find out how this mango is cultivated there. And the big question is why the color is purple.

The Japanese have a culture of interfering with nature. They create BONSAI trees. They are exactly the true copy of a large tree but are cultivated in a flower tub. Very strange.

I badly want to try some Bangladeshi and Pakistani mangoes. This season I have eaten 13 varieties of Indian mangoes, which is one more than last year.

Try the Fazli variety...about 1 KG each.

iu

Last edited:
Rajshahi mango got GI recognition

Online desk

Published: 21 October 21. 20:24 | Update: 21 October 21. 20:24

Geographical Indication (GI) has recognized 'Rajshahi's Fazli Mango'.

It has been published in the 'Journal of the Geographical Identification' (GI) No. 10 of the Department of Patents, Design and Trade Mark of the Ministry of Industry, published on October 8.

Alim Uddin, chief scientific officer of the Rajshahi Fruit Research Center, told Samakal on Thursday.

He said the recognition came in response to an application from the Rajshahi Fruit Research Center. On March 9, 2016, the Rajshahi Fruit Research Center applied for this recognition.

Alim Uddin told Samakal, 'Rajshahi's name became internationally associated with Fazli Mango. However, we did not have less trouble to get this recognition! The history of Fazli Mango, the beginning and end of spatial and chronological communication with the product, the DNA sequence has to be sent to us along with the appropriate authorities. Fazli mango is also grown in Chapainawabganj area. Fazli mango is cultivated in 9 upazilas of Rajshahi. Among them, Fazli mango of Bagha upazila is very well known.

A total of nine products from Bangladesh have so far received GI certification.

These include Hilsa fish, Khirshapati mango from Chapainawabganj, Bangladeshi Kataribhog and Kalijira Rice from Dinajpur, Jamdani, Dhakai Muslin, Silk fabric from Rajshahi, Shataranji woven mats from Rangpur and white soil from Vijaypur in Netrokona.

Yes, it is, although I had no prior knowledge about this purple Japanese mango until @Bilal9 told it.

I am surprised because all I knew is that even in hot Okinawa, it is difficult to produce mangoes because the summer is short. I heard that a hard vinyl cover at the top is used to keep the heat inside a mango tree area and the tree branches are intentionally bent down by putting weights at the branch ends to keep the space small.

But, Miyazaki is in Kyushu island north of Okinawa. So, I will have to find out how this mango is cultivated there. And the big question is why the color is purple.

The Japanese have a culture of interfering with nature. They create BONSAI trees. They are exactly the true copy of a large tree but are cultivated in a flower tub. Very strange.

Yes I know. The Japanese also have some super expensive grapes, nashi pears and watermelons. I have seen the videos of those, but didn't know about the Miyazaki mangoes.

Last edited:
Try the Fazli variety...about 1 KG each.

iu
Now, @DrJekyll must be pondering why are you suggesting he eat an unripe green mango instead of a ripe yellow/ gold color mango.

Let us see what he answers.

Yes I know. The Japanese also have some super expensive graes, nashi pears and watermelons. I have seen the videos of those, but didn't know about the Miyazaki mangoes.
These fruits are all to be eaten by superrich Japanese people.

Now, @DrJekyll must be pondering why are you suggesting he eat an unripe green mango instead of a ripe yellow/ gold color mango.

Let us see what he answers

Bhai kaita meyeder moto lobon morich lagaiya kacha khabey. 8-)

Another super rich Japanese fruit - square watermelon. Grown in a square glass box. $200 each. Given as dawat gift.

iu

Amrapali was OK but Haribhanga is more exotic and tasty.

Plus they grow Japanese Miyazaki purple mango variety in Bangladesh nowadays. Yes the expensive kind.

FB_IMG_1430083584565.jpg
The 'Amrapali' mango is a named mango cultivar introduced in 1971. It was developed as a hybrid variety of 'Dasheri' and 'Neelum' by Dr. Pijush Kanti Majumdar at the Indian Agriculture Research Institute in Delhi.
Its an Indian mango

iu

In an Alberta supermarket. I doubt they sold too many....

iu

Shataranji woven mats from Rangpur and white soil from Vijaypur in Netrokona.
শতরঞ্জি was very popular a few decades before. How popularly this item is used no in BD?
What is the white soil of Netrokona? What are the uses?

Miyazaki is grown all of West Bengal. I have tested it, it has a distinct flavor, not too sweet. I don't believe it will gain popularity in subcontinent.

As per my knowledge naturally (in plant) ripen mango is always green in colour with little yellow tint. Artifically (using carbides or the export oriented using straw) ripen ones get the all yellow colour.

Example the best Bangladeshi mango IMO, Gopalbhog or Himsagar, Langra etc..

Now we have some really costly mangoes. Go through this news
This year in on Kolkata exhibition it went to 2500 a piece.

Bhai kaita meyeder moto lobon morich lagaiya kacha khabey. 8-)
However, I wonder if you are aware that Fazli mango is a variety that looks green outside and unripe but cut it open, it is ripe with a yellow/ reddish color.

I have not really seen a ripe Fazli with yellow skin.

I badly want to try some Bangladeshi and Pakistani mangoes. This season I have eaten 13 varieties of Indian mangoes, which is one more than last year.

I tried Pakistani mangoes once only when I was in Makkah. It was quite good. But Bangladeshi mangoes are very very good too depending on the variety you eat. I don't know if they are exported to India but it's the mango season now in BD. Come over and try.

However, I wonder if you are aware that Fazli mango is a variety that looks green outside and unripe but cut it open, it is ripe with a yellow/ reddish color.

I have not really seen a ripe Fazli with yellow skin.

Fazlis always have green skin even when ripe.

As per my knowledge naturally (in plant) ripen mango is always green in colour with little yellow tint. Artifically (using carbides or the export oriented using straw) ripen ones get the all yellow colour.

This is not fully true.

It depends on the variety. In my village we have many mango trees, some of them become yellow or yellowish with a pink tinge when they are ripe on the tree itself. Others are green when ripe.

শতরঞ্জি was very popular a few decades before. How popularly this item is used no in BD?

I have seen শতরঞ্জি but we never used one. We extensively used পাটি ও মাদুর though.

Last edited:

Floor e boshey kicchu korley (ludu khela, meyeder chuley tel dewa) madur ba shotronj er use to aacchei.

White soil is used as Kaolin to make porcelain items manufacture and also as a cosmetics ingredient. Quite popular....

White_Clay-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom