What's new

Poverty decline rate doubled during UPA regime

Spice

BANNED
Reaction score
Hyderabad: Terming the comments on the below poverty line (BPL) issue as "unprincipled publicity campaign", Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia Saturday said the rate of poverty decline doubled during the rule of the UPA Government as compared to the pre-UPA regime.

"In the pre-UPA period the decline in poverty was taking place at 0.74 percent per year. After 2004 it is taking place at 1.5 percent. So, the decline in poverty during UPA period is double," he added

As per the data released by the Planning Commission, the rate of poverty reduction between 2004-05 to 2009-10 was 1.5 percent every year whereas it stood at an annual rate of 0.74 percent between 1993-94 to 2004-05.

"All this criticism that the government is artificially reducing the people below the poverty line is just rubbish. Poverty has gone down from 37.2 percent of the population in 2004 to slightly less than 30 in 2009-10," Ahluwalia said.

He refuted remarks that the Government could be trying to keep major chunk of public from some benefits by showing reduction in poverty line.

"This is not true. Many benefits are not linked to poverty line. The most important benefit is Right to Education Act which is not linked to poverty line".

"The next most important is NREGA scheme. This is not limited to poverty line below. Third is food security bill.

That is not limited to poverty line. As much as 46 percent of the country’s people will benefit from this," he explained.

According to him, Planning Commission does not use daily income figures as basis for calculating BPL people. It takes per-family-per-month figures to calculate the figures.

"There is a motivated desire to denigrate economic growth to say that economic growth is not inclusive. There is no evidence for that...," Ahluwalia said.

Replying to a query, he said a new technical committee will be appointed soon to assess poverty line issues.

"We are working on the terms of reference. It will be a technical experts committee. That will go into all these issue of poverty line. Broad scope is to take look at the different criticism that have been made and also the fact the Prime Minister said there should be multi dimensional measure of poverty," he said.

As Tendulkar poverty line is no longer linked to benefits, there is a need for another definition of poverty line and from the 12th Plan onwards, data for 2011-12 will be used to measure progress, he said.

Poverty decline rate doubled during UPA regime: Montek

Poverty has come down , but I don't believe his stats and reasons.
A liar.:agree:
He define poverty as Rs 28/32...:angry:

if this is according to the planning commission then it is BS those idiots want to classify anyone living on at least US 50 cents a day as non poor the living conditions/standard is the root and if that is bad then in reality what should you be proud of? when will these idiots in power realize that its not about food and housing rather the living standard as a whole?

Does Montek Singh harbor aspirations for PM chair.. ???:)
He might be thinking, "jab MMS pm ban sakta hai to , why not me ?"
"I'm also an economist and can make economy shine better than MMS- Only Madam Ji ki kripa chahiye"
If madam wants he can even reduce poverty line to Rs 10 per day.:angry:

Montek Singh is completely out of touch with reality.

His figures lose their relevance outside his A/C office.

Guy doesn't know a thing about what it takes to be a poor and to make ends meet in India.

u guys are talking like u guys know more than him. learn to trust u r leaders. they r not that big idiots.

u guys are talking like u guys know more than him. learn to trust u r leaders. they r not that big idiots.

A man who says that Rs. 28 is enough to make a living in a city like Delhi is most certainly an idiot to rely more on mathematical formulas than on the real world around him.

Heck, a full-fare round trip in a Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) Bus, the cheapest public transport available in Delhi would cost you 30 Rupees. Don't believe me, look it up on Google for yourself.

Now tell me, when the cheapest mode of transport available itself costs Rs. 30, then, unless your sense of ground reality is like totally royally screwed up, I don't see how you can possibly put the poverty line at Rs. 28.

the beggars in India won't take anything less than 10rs because that is the bare minimum 10rs=1 cup of tea 2 or 10 pieces of gum from a local shop some places its even fcking higher like in HP 15 rs for a cup of tea 50 cents = 25rs more or less if this is the living standard you want to live in then please vote incumbent India needs to build a solid large middle class with the gap between the rich and the poor being as small as possible, low tax rates and social welfare programs are key but gov't spending would increase dramatically.

I mean look at what this idiot is saying.

In 28 Rupees per day i.e. 840 Rupees in a month,

You have to afford transport everyday.

You have to eat three times a day.

You have to afford a house. In fact even if you don't have a house, a trip to a Sulabh Toilet will itself set you back by 3-4 Rupees per day.

You have to go to school (this is per capita).

You have to get the books, get the uniform.

lol and don't even ask if you fall sick or you break your spectacles or whatever the damn little thing you can imagine.

I mean WHAT THE ROYAL FACK!

This is the kind of people who are formulating are policies. :hitwall: and these are 'foreign educated' geniuses!

In Delhi, today, it costs 25 Rupees at the minimum just to get the puncture of your bicycle repaired!

the 15% that live in absolute poverty are the ones that really suffer no toilet means defecating on the streets or rails, constantly begging/trying to find ways to get food, and for the children it means taking up meager work to help pay for the family's costs. its not anyones fault except the government social welfare programs need to be propped and benefits need to be given to the 15% absolute poor and the remaining on the bubble poor

but on a side note anyone notice how all the poor in India have exceptionally large families? i think birth control and sterilization need to be exerted on the poor why the fck you got 11 kids when you can't even afford to buy a Chapati from a Dhaba?

the 15% that live in absolute poverty are the ones that really suffer no toilet means defecating on the streets or rails, constantly begging/trying to find ways to get food, and for the children it means taking up meager work to help pay for the family's costs. its not anyones fault except the government social welfare programs need to be propped and benefits need to be given to the 15% absolute poor and the remaining on the bubble poor

but on a side note anyone notice how all the poor in India have exceptionally large families? i think birth control and sterilization need to be exerted on the poor why the fck you got 11 kids when you can't even afford to buy a Chapati from a Dhaba?

Actually, for a poor family, the idea is exactly the opposite.

The more the family members, the more the number of working hands in the family, the more the income of the family.

Imagine like 8 kids and all 8 into begging vs 4 kids and all 4 into begging.

LEADERS ??? Where are they ???
What we see today are a bunch of rotten eggs, with dubious aspirations.
I had high regards for Montek , till he came up with this absolute gem.
Don't you think that he knows how much is needed for essentials. ?
Even then he comes up this means either he has dubious intentions or a weak (MMS) spine.
and both are not a desirable quality of a LEADER.
Alas, India need a Leader desperately.

Its not poverty decline rate is down its poverty ridden people are down due to skyrocketing prices of commodities.

Back
Top Bottom