What's new

Pro-Russia Rex Tillerson-US State Sec.

Desertfalcon

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
President-elect Donald Trump is expected to name former CEO of Exxon, Rex Tillerson, as his pick to be Secretary of State. Mr. Tillerson has no government or diplomatic experience but has close contacts with officials from all over the world, as one would expect of the head of a major energy company. He has particularly close ties to Russia and is considered a friend of President Vladimir Putin. Mr. Tillerson was awarded the Order of Friendship by Russia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/10/us/politics/rex-tillerson-secretary-of-state-trump.html?_r=0

Putin-Exxon-Mobil-Agrees-Arctic-007.jpg

President-elect Donald Trump is expected to name former CEO of Exxon, Rex Tillerson, as his pick to be Secretary of State. Mr. Tillerson has no government or diplomatic experience but has close contacts with officials from all over the world, as one would expect of the head of a major energy company. He has particularly close ties to Russia and is considered a friend of President Vladimir Putin. Mr. Tillerson was awarded the Order of Friendship by Russia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/10/us/politics/rex-tillerson-secretary-of-state-trump.html?_r=0

Putin-Exxon-Mobil-Agrees-Arctic-007.jpg

If Russia and US alligns with each other, it will dramatically reallign the global power play in coming years...

If Russia and US alligns with each other, it will dramatically reallign the global power play in coming years...

I don't know how things will develop, really, but I think it is clear that the new president will significantly lesson differences and tensions with Russia.

I don't know how things will develop, really, but I think it is clear that the new president will significantly lesson differences and tensions with Russia.

We hope so..But what is the common perception of American people towards Russia? Is the difference is only political or something else?

We hope so..But what is the common perception of American people towards Russia? Is the difference is only political or something else?

I think it probably is about the same support or opposition to Trump. I'm sure though, that the American people don't feel the hostility toward Russia that some in the diplomatic and military establishment do.

Quite negative:

pbumo8lbveipnclhjsqyia.png

"Russia and the U.S. have a tempestuous history. As part of the Soviet Union, the Russian government engendered fear and resentment among Americans for decades after World War II during the Cold War. Hostilities began to ease during the era of glasnost in the mid-1980s. Through much of the 1990s and 2000s, Americans' favorable opinions of Russia climbed, swelling to 66% in 2002. This sentiment began to crash when Vladimir Putin returned to the presidency in 2012. Some of his policies and actions, including discriminatory policies against gays and Russia's involvement in Ukraine, contributed to favorability dropping to a low point of 24% last year."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/189284/americans-russia-less-negatively-less-threat.aspx

They view Vladimir Putin even more unfavorably:

2-23-2015_05.png

"Most View Putin Unfavorably

Views of Russian President Vladimir Putin are highly negative. Overall, 70% hold an unfavorable view of Putin compared with 12% who view him favorably. About four-in-ten (41%) say they hold a very unfavorable view of the Russian leader.

Putin is viewed unfavorably across all demographic groups. Comparable percentages of Republicans (76%), Democrats (69%) and independents (67%) hold an unfavorable view of the Russian president. Among conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats, nearly identical percentages hold a very unfavorable view of Putin (51% and 53%, respectively)."

http://www.people-press.org/2015/02...s-arming-ukraine/#most-view-putin-unfavorably

Quite negative:

pbumo8lbveipnclhjsqyia.png

"Russia and the U.S. have a tempestuous history. As part of the Soviet Union, the Russian government engendered fear and resentment among Americans for decades after World War II during the Cold War. Hostilities began to ease during the era of glasnost in the mid-1980s. Through much of the 1990s and 2000s, Americans' favorable opinions of Russia climbed, swelling to 66% in 2002. This sentiment began to crash when Vladimir Putin returned to the presidency in 2012. Some of his policies and actions, including discriminatory policies against gays and Russia's involvement in Ukraine, contributed to favorability dropping to a low point of 24% last year."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/189284/americans-russia-less-negatively-less-threat.aspx

They view Vladimir Putin even more unfavorably:

2-23-2015_05.png

"Most View Putin Unfavorably

Views of Russian President Vladimir Putin are highly negative. Overall, 70% hold an unfavorable view of Putin compared with 12% who view him favorably. About four-in-ten (41%) say they hold a very unfavorable view of the Russian leader.

Putin is viewed unfavorably across all demographic groups. Comparable percentages of Republicans (76%), Democrats (69%) and independents (67%) hold an unfavorable view of the Russian president. Among conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats, nearly identical percentages hold a very unfavorable view of Putin (51% and 53%, respectively)."

http://www.people-press.org/2015/02...s-arming-ukraine/#most-view-putin-unfavorably
It's all relative though. Putin for example, was still more popular than Trump or Hillary Clinton. :D

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/25/poll-americans-like-vladimir-putin-more-than-clinton-trump/

As to Russia, the Gallup poll shows incredible volatility which tells me that American opinion is based on the current situation with Russia as opposed to how they feel about Russia as a country.

It's all relative though. Putin for example, was still more popular than Trump or Hillary Clinton. :D

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/25/poll-americans-like-vladimir-putin-more-than-clinton-trump/

Well, it depends on the source. With that said, the poll you linked was referring to people who hold a "very negative" view of Putin, not merely negative in general. That result is unsurprising given that most Americans care far more about their own politics than a foreign leader who won't have a direct impact on their lives like their domestic leaders. I assume the results for just "negative" were higher for Putin.

As to Russia, the Gallup poll shows incredible volatility which tells me that American opinion is based on the current situation with Russia as opposed to how they feel about Russia as a country

Very true. American opinion about Russia reflects the current geo-political situation. If Russia (and Putin) were to change their ways, American opinion would recover. Americans don't dislike the Russian people, only their government and its actions.

Well, it depends on the source. With that said, the poll you linked was referring to people who hold a "very negative" view of Putin, not merely negative in general. That result is unsurprising given that most Americans care far more about their own politics than a foreign leader who won't have a direct impact on their lives like their domestic leaders. I assume the results for just "negative" were higher for Putin.

Could be. I just think it's funny, in a sad sort of way, that given the horrific press Mr. Putin gets in the US, and the years of an active campaign to paint Mr. Putin as 'public enemy, number one' by politicians of both political parties, that the American people still think our own lot has just got to be worse. Says much about the state of American politics. :disagree:

Could be. I just think it's funny, in a sad sort of way, that given the horrific press Mr. Putin gets in the US, and the years of an active campaign to paint Mr. Putin as 'public enemy, number one' by politicians of both political parties, that the American people still think our own lot has just got to be worse. Says much about the state of American politics. :disagree:

looks like the attacks on trump already started. there's a lot of people in DC with a distaste for Russia & putin. it's going to be tough on Trump next four years, i'm thinking democrats is going to try to block everything that trump tries to do next four years.

of course... not even sure Tillerson can get confirmed by the senate since he got alot of baggage.

lthere's a lot of people in DC with a distaste for Russia & putin.

Pretty much everyone in the State Department, Defence Department, and the "establishment" types in Congress.

it's going to be tough on Trump next four years, i'm thinking democrats is going to try to block everything that trump tries to do next four years.

of course... not even sure Tillerson can get confirmed by the senate since he got alot of baggage.

Could be. I have no idea how it will play out but one advantage Trump will have, is that his party controls both houses. Outside of a filibuster in the Senate, there is not much the Democrats can do to stop him.

Back
Top Bottom