What's new

Project to develop unmanned version of Tejas in the works

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NEW DELHI: In what would break new ground, India has started work on developing an unmanned combat version of the home-grown light combat aircraft (LCA), with a task group being constituted to study how to convert the fighter for a futuristic role. A team has already started work on the project to convert the LCA into a drone and India’s premier aircraft manufacturer Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is confident that the project can be carried out within a short time frame. “We have started an internal study on making a unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) on the Tejas platform. Besides, we are confident on coming up with an unmanned version of Chetak helicopter as well,” HAL Chief T Suvarna Raju told ET. The Air Force has already placed orders for 123 LCA fighters and HAL is targeting a gap of 200 fighters that the Air Force will face in coming years. An unmanned version of the LCA could be used for cross-border strikes — missions that place a high risk on pilots in case of a ditching in enemy territory. India is also working on a project named AURA to make a futuristic combat drone that would be powered by a modified version of the Kaveri engine. The drone, however, is several years away as the project is still at the design stage. While unmanned LCA would be no match for a futuristic stealth drone, officials pointed that out converting a flying platform into an autonomous unit could be faster and cheaper short term option. The US, for example, uses unmanned F-16 fighters for aerial target practice.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...e&utm_medium=referral&fb_ref=Default&from=mdr

This is a great initiative.

But the current high thrust airplane project in India are Ghatak and FGFA with Russia. AMCA and others come second.

DRDO chief ordered full scale model of Ghatak by June this year. :D Its going to use dry thrust version of Kaveri or improved HAL HTSE-1200. :D

LF_AURA_2.jpg

Kaveri
hqdefault.jpg

Kaveri+test+bed.jpg

I really don't know what the planners & managers of Tejas program have in their mind .... why they always adopt an over experimental approach ... even this move is beyond my understanding at least, Americans did the same with old F-16 air frame, Chinese did this with old F-6 or F-7 air frame but Indian authorities chose to convert a plane which still in its infancy stage.

I literally find no logic in it "if" really the idea is only to STUDY the concept then why not they use some old air frame like old MiG-21 or any other ....??

& If the Idea is to send a "TEJAS based PILOT-LESS JET" for 'CROSS BORDER STRIKE' than what would be the COST ADVANTAGE of this system over already existing inventory of Indian missile systems like Brahmos... ???

Literally I am unable to comprehend the approach of planners & managers of TEJAS Jet program ... are they attempting to avoid some basic questions & trying to keep themselves relevant

I really don't know what the planners & managers of Tejas program have in their mind .... why they always adopt an over experimental approach ... even this move is beyond my understanding at least, Americans did the same with old F-16 air frame, Chinese did this with old F-6 or F-7 air frame but Indian authorities chose to convert a plane which still in its infancy stage.

I literally find no logic in it "if" really the idea is only to STUDY the concept then why not they use some old air frame like old MiG-21 or any other ....??

& If the Idea is to send a "TEJAS based PILOT-LESS JET" for 'CROSS BORDER STRIKE' than what would be the COST ADVANTAGE of this system over already existing inventory of Indian missile systems like Brahmos... ???

Literally I am unable to comprehend the approach of planners & managers of TEJAS Jet program ... are they attempting to avoid some basic questions & trying to keep themselves relevant

Tejas is considered more than just a fighter. It is the only platform we have currently. So ever new idea, new advances will probably be using the Tejas platform.

Having said that, you need to understand that in India, press is hungry for any news and project-teams in institutions are hungry to show they are ready for path breaking r&d. They feed of each other.

^^^^

Very true mate. DRDO / ADA / HAL they're very confident in talking in front of media and only talking but lake in substain is useless but having said that they do achieved remarkable break through in developing some critical technologies at home. I sinserly wish they should pack this study phase and start taking job seriously. Please check the latest HAL video about new production line of LCA in LCA thread to get an idea of our baba's working ethics.

Regards,
Jailer

Last edited:

Tejas is the platform for all kinds of r&d.

Back
Top Bottom