What's new

Propaganda against Urdu

PakSarZameen47

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

I have noticed increasing propaganda against Urdu as the national language by a number of ethno nationalists +anti state liberal/secular/marxists. It seems targeted to try and reduce any factors that unite the country. If there is no national language then how do they expect everyone to communicate? India does not have a unifying language which has caused them problems. If one of the provincial languages were made national language that would cause issues for other ethnicities. Also after Arabic it is actually Urdu that the most Islamic work as been done.

What can be done to stop this propaganda. Thoughts?

Last edited:

I have noticed increasing propaganda against Urdu as the national language by a number of ethno nationalists +anti state liberal/secular/marxists. It seems targeted to try and reduce any factors that unite the country. If there is no national language then how do they expect everyone to communicate? India does not have a unifying language which has caused them problems. If one of the provincial languages were made national language that would cause issues for other ethnicities. Also after Arabic it is actually Urdu that the most Islamic work as been done.

They should learn from Banglis treachery and classify criticizing National language URDU as attack on Unity, hate speech and a serious crime punishment-able similar to treachery.

Who are these so called 'ethno nationalists +anti state liberal/secular/marxists'?

...and what language would they like for us Urdu-speakers to speak/learn? Sindi, Punjabi, Pushto aur Baluchi...?

Who are these so called 'ethno nationalists +anti state liberal/secular/marxists'?

...and what language would they like for us Urdu-speakers to speak/learn? Sindi, Punjabi, Pushto aur Baluchi...?

Various ethnic extremist individuals/politicians , and a number of individuals in a institutions.

We are a multi-ethnic state and they want increased role of regional languages
I agree with them, Urdu is a common language but it doesn't mean we kill our own languages by not preserving and teaching our own languages at school
Yes Urdu should be taught but so should the regional languages atleast for some years in school
Like it is taught in some provinces but it should be a universal thing for all provinces

People need to stop associating language with nationality
Yes due to Mr.Jinnah we made it a common language but we should also focus on regional languages at the same time

Last edited:
We are a multi-ethnic state and they want increased role of regional languages
I agree with them, Urdu is a common language but it doesn't mean we kill our own languages by not preserving and teaching our own languages at school
Yes Urdu should be taught but so should the regional languages atleast for some years in school

How will it work for higher education/employment. Yes we are multi-ethnic but in order to have a functioning state can only have one lingua-franca. I have seen some people saying that regional language should also be completely provincial - in that case how will people from other parts of the country communicate, how will business work? Its the 21st century now, people in this part of the world do no want to evolve/compromise.
4 and 5 year old anti Urdu articles share kar k tum khud anti Urdu propaganda kar rhay ho

Just an example but there are more out there, I mean just look at the rhetoric of some political parties

Urdu is a great language , it unites indian subcontinent .

Actually most mahajir did learn Punjabi n assimilated easily in different part of Punjab. Even those that moved from Karachi. I am not Punjabi but must say Punjab culture is lot more accepting and welcoming to people from any part of Pakistan. It’s not uncommon for folk fro northern area or kpk to speak some form of Punjabi after living in Punjab.

Actually most mahajir did learn Punjabi n assimilated easily in different part of Punjab. Even those that moved from Karachi. I am not Punjabi but must say Punjab culture is lot more accepting and welcoming to people from any part of Pakistan. It’s not uncommon for folk fro northern area or kpk to speak some form of Punjabi after living in Punjab.
I don't have anything against Punjabi - just like I have nothing against any of OUR other languages, but why would I want to waste my time learning a new language just to please a few idiots that have combined I.Q of a dishwasher.

Urdu and English should be a universal language spoken/understood to at least a certain degree by everyone, but that doesn't mean ban or prohibit other languages, just Urdu and English should be promoted officially throughout.

A common language is essential for a country. (Urdu in the case of Pakistan) And English is just a universal language globally, it's the standard for professionalism/business in most important places.

How will it work for higher education/employment. Yes we are multi-ethnic but in order to have a functioning state can only have one lingua-franca. I have seen some people saying that regional language should also be completely provincial - in that case how will people from other parts of the country communicate, how will business work? Its the 21st century now, people in this part of the world do no want to evolve/compromise.

Just an example but there are more out there, I mean just look at the rhetoric of some political parties
So how does teaching in regional language till primary going to hurt anyone or his mainstreaming?
You do know that many already know Urdu due to tv etc

So how does teaching in regional language till primary going to hurt anyone or his mainstreaming?
Till primary?? That's way too long and during those years, that's your prime time picking up a language, how can you expect people to shift to a whole new language, that they may not have an understanding of at all, when suddenly starting a new school year? Unrealistic

In all professional environments English/Urdu should be the norm.

Linguistic unity binds a nation. If you visit each different province and the main/common language is different you wouldn't even feel like you're still in Pakistan anymore if you can't even communicate efficiently, it will become the baseline for a separatist movement.

Regional languages should be something you speak with family, friends, and others who understand. Should also be available as a field of study where you can be qualified in it, similar to how there's French, Spanish, etc.

Last edited:
More than 50 percent population of Pakistan can understand basic Urdu without learning it. Isliye Urdu ko Pakistan main koi threat nhi ha Urdu ki fikar na karo. Few basic Urdu and Punjabi sentences
تم کیا کر ریے ہو
توں کی کریندا پیا ییں
تمہارا کیا نام
تیرا کی ناں ہے
تم کون ہو
توں کون ہیں
تم کہاں رہتے
توں کدے رہندا ہیں
Can most people in Pakistan read Urdu?

What is ironic is that Urdu is being massacred more in the elite Urban areas of Islamabad,Karachi and Lahore vs the common public. In general, middle class and generally those with government school education both speak fairly decent Urdu and use it more frequently.

Some of the best authentic/orthodox Urdu I have heard even though I am from a primarily Urdu speaking family is in Peshawar. So it is more a case of tying the language with state identity and then promoting the regional languages as conversational requirements. The only way that gets done is that every person in Pakistan gets exposure to the major languages in some form or another. For e.g.
Major city government offices to have directions/instructions in all major languages in their script. Expose them to it.

Israr Ahmed's take on language in Pakistani context:

Apparently Sir Agha Khan suggest Arabic to be made the official language, and both Bengalis and Sindhis were ready to accept it over Urdu. According to Agha Khan, in 20 years after making Arabic official language would have made Pakistan a part of Middle East.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom