What's new

Questions About PAF Uniforms

Desertfalcon

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been looking at some pictures in the galleries and I had a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1. Why did the PAF change it's officer rank insignia? They used to use the British RAF style stripes and now they use the same insignia as the army. Is there a particular reason for this? It also seems to exactly match Turkey's, is that because of the close relationship between Pakistan and Turkey?

2. Did the PAF do away with the full service dress with the jacket and neck-tie? I notice that in all the pictures the officers have either field dress, or the open neck blue casual service dress or the full ceremonial dress with the high collar. Is it because the neck-ties are just too hot to wear in Pakistan?

The PAF uniforms look very nice by the way. They look both professional and comfortable. I especially like the open neck dark blue service uniform.

Last edited:
This is what you are talking about ?
tanvir_mahmood_ahmed.jpg

BTW our Uniform is awesome , even Indian newspaper published the above picture rather than their own air chief's :lol: :lol:

It is what I mentioned, Black Blood, but I was hoping someone could answer my specific questions.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

they use the same insignia as the army.

Ans: Just for easy recognition for Army persons

It also seems to exactly match Turkey's, is that because of the close relationship between Pakistan and Turkey?

Ans: Yes it is true

Most of the PAF officers like to have the previous set of ranks

RAF's Ranks insignias look way better then PAF .
rafranks.gif

Last edited:
Well as for the first question, it seems the major reason behind the change was the difficulty for ordinary layman to read the insignias, as Army insignias are very easy to understand, while AF weren't. So the major aim behind the change is for better understanding the rank. And as for design, it does looks similar with the Turkish ones, but the similarity won't be due to the brotherly relations, rather there is just a Turkish influence as its easy to understand and interpret.

Well recently, there has been no pics of jacket with tie, thus it can be safely assumed the dress code has been changed. The normal office dress code seems to be simple shirt and trousers, while the field would have that dark olive green kind of stuff, and the official ceremonial dress as the one you have posted above.

Also for info, do the below style dress too in use. So it would suggest there are 4-5 kind of uniforms in action based on the occasions to be worn for.

attachment.php

Thanks for the answers everyone! :cheers:

TaimiKhan, I think you are correct about the lack of neck-ties currently. I can't find any recent pictures with anyone in that type of uniform.

Wingman said:
Most of the PAF officers like to have the previous set of ranks

You would think the Army would have been used to the RAF type stripes after so many years.

Interesting, in the USAF a COS, (Gen. McPeak), in the early 1990's made the Air Force adopt RAF type stripes for officers. Everyone HATED them! Everyone thought it made us all look like airline pilots. After Gen. McPeak retired a few years later they were dropped and we went back to the army insignia. A pic of Gen. McPeak in that short-lived USAF uniform...

Personally, i think the insignias should be on the same pattern for all the armed forces, as it is easy to understand them. I was from an army background family, and I never understood the old rank system. To be told the truth, majority of the Army officer corps, i would suggest a 95%+ figure had no clue about the old PAF rank insignia, reason being there was no mixing of Army and PAF officers, except for a few places, but majority had no clue about it, But if you ask some one now from the Army, he will reply without any hesitation.

I believe same should be done with the Navy, as it will give commonality and better understanding about the ranks, within the armed forces as well as for the civilians to understand them.

I believe same should be done with the Navy, as it will give commonality and better understanding about the ranks, within the armed forces as well as for the civilians to understand them.

Yes I agree with the statement if you change the PAF ranks just to be easily recognized with Army ones then change NAVY Ranks as well. If possible use brass instead of cloth strips

it is because to easily recognise them from far away

Back
Top Bottom