What's new

Reducing Digital footprint

Awesome

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
In light of ALL the agencies involved with sharing their central servers with the NSA, I think its time that the rest of the world pro-actively took steps to de-Americanize their internet footprint. I know you won't be invisible, nor do I intend to hide anything but one thing is passively learning and one thing is to downright have full access to your data.

Note the issue with warrants does not apply to reading the data of a non-American.

What are the best alternatives out there for:

1. Email like Gmail
2. Video Conf like Skype
3. Social networking like Facebook
4. IM... I always have something simpler than skype... for just random chatting
5. Some alternative to Youtube
6. The mac daddy of all requirements - an alternative to google
7. Alternative to google maps.

My personal suggestion is to make step 1 to move on to a user friendly Linux OS like Ubuntu, install a Virtual Machine for Windows whenever needed to run pure windows stuff.

1. mail.ru | based out of russia
2. vbuzzer or some other open source solution
3. vKonta | again russian
4. Jabber . Extremely Secure
5. lot of options
6. Yandex | again russian
7. again lot of local alternatives depending upon countries .

Regarding uBuntu , Please dont suggest anyone Anyone uBuntu . It is already spying (Ref: Stallman: Ubuntu spyware makes it JUST AS BAD as Windows ? The Register) .

I would suggest using CentOs or Slackware or any other Debian or *Nix installation . For Using Windows , i agree use a virtual Machine or Wine if you just need to run an Application (Wine (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

What if the Russians are monitoring?

First find out which nation has the most solid privacy laws?

What if the Russians are monitoring?

First find out which nation has the most solid privacy laws?

Doesn't Matter which Nation has most Solid Privacy laws . They will always roll on the feet of it's Security Agency . Important part here is Russia is not a Global Cop .
Most people just need to stay away from Global Cop . Log records start from your PC , to your ISP to what not levels . Important part is to minimize the risk as you cannot eliminate it to negligible levels unless you are a "homeless hacker" with no credit cards , no vehicles , no bank accounts only a clean PC from where to Hack into Different Wireless networks and Change your locations continuously . That also Apparently is not enough :D . Few people doing that have been traced as well .

Doesn't Matter which Nation has most Solid Privacy laws . They will always roll on the feet of it's Security Agency . Important part here is Russia is not a Global Cop .
Most people just need to stay away from Global Cop . Log records start from your PC , to your ISP to what not levels . Important part is to minimize the risk as you cannot eliminate it to negligible levels unless you are a "homeless hacker" with no credit cards , no vehicles , no bank accounts only a clean PC from where to Hack into Different Wireless networks and Change your locations continuously . That also Apparently is not enough :D . Few people doing that have been traced as well .

Yeah as I said any passive monitoring on my public activities is fine by me. My messages on this forum. My private messages - not so much.

The same way, my google searches should not be logged to begin with, and definitely not read by any person. Google has breached the trust the general public has laid towards it. Of course I agree this wasn't a legal breach of trust due to the laws of the US, but discontinuing my use of it is my right.

I would advise going for decentralized, open source stuff for everything.

@Awesome Saeenjee, the ONLY spy-proof secure laptop that is available these days is this one:

aOqK0Yy_460s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry this is quite impossible for me...
its like using google + instead of facebook :lol:

The NSA whistleblower has disappeared

Edward Snowden, the man who revealed that US agencies are gathering millions of phone records and monitoring internet data, has disappeared.

Snowden apparently checked out of his Hong Kong hotel where he had fled following his revelations, ahead of a probable push by the US government to have him sent back to the United States to face charges.

The National Security Agency at the heart of the scandal certainly wants him back.

Snowden had admitted he was the ‘whistleblower with a conscience’ in a video released by Britain’s Guardian Newspaper.

“He faces a very difficult situation now,” said Janine Gibson, Editor-in-Chief Guardian, United States. “He’s expressed that he would like, perhaps, to be given asylum in somewhere like Iceland which has an excellent track record on freedom of information. And perhaps that will come out for him. Clearly we wouldn’t want to see him come to any harm.”

There have already been signs that Snowden’s disclosures have some sympathy, a rally of support was held in New York while thousands have signed an online petition urging President Obama to pardon him.

However, the NSA says he has committed a criminal offence and undermined efforts to track down terrorists.

@Awesome, sir g you are saying this as you were never aware of this development. Google with andriod on every phone...chrome becomes the default browser for many and same for facebook. Obviously many of us had this seed of idea at the back of our minds that someone is monitorung /spying on us......atleast I had this idea. ....nothing is safe on internet

@Awesome, sir g you are saying this as you were never aware of this development. Google with andriod on every phone...chrome becomes the default browser for many and same for facebook. Obviously many of us had this seed of idea at the back of our minds that someone is monitorung /spying on us......atleast I had this idea. ....nothing is safe on internet

I did... But one can't move off the internet clouds alone. I'm human and would like to move only when enough of my peers come with me.

I know it's weird, but this thread kinda reminds me of The Matrix.

@Awesome Saeenjee, the ONLY spy-proof secure laptop that is available these days is this one:

aOqK0Yy_460s.jpg

Notice I never, said spy proof. Whatever these agencies passively accumulate off public information is fine by me. But the cloud's data, that I've access to using a log in should be kept as mine.

If the laws are not amended, this will destroy the entire move to the cloud paradigm shift that has been going on right now. Think about it in these terms. Tomorrow you launch a company that has the potential to knock out say, Apple and Microsoft. Your company platform's and services are leveraging the Oracle Cloud. NSA decides the rise of your company and the decline of their companies is a national security threat. It logs on to PRISM, mines your data on the Oracle Cloud, finds key weaknesses in your products or the key technological advances, shares it with your competitors and voila, you're screwed.

Having central server access is totally unacceptable. Even the meager excuses they are making right now is only for American citizens. Its not like alternatives are not available, its just a matter of getting the masses to move onto them.

Has PDF shared anything with PRISM or NSA?

PDF has not, nor we ever will. Without a warrant, of course.

Notice I never, said spy proof. Whatever these agencies passively accumulate off public information is fine by me. But the cloud's data, that I've access to using a log in should be kept as mine.

If the laws are not amended, this will destroy the entire move to the cloud paradigm shift that has been going on right now. Think about it in these terms. Tomorrow you launch a company that has the potential to knock out say, Apple and Microsoft. Your company platform's and services are leveraging the Oracle Cloud. NSA decides the rise of your company and the decline of their companies is a national security threat. It logs on to PRISM, mines your data on the Oracle Cloud, finds key weaknesses in your products or the key technological advances, shares it with your competitors and voila, you're screwed.

Having central server access is totally unacceptable. Even the meager excuses they are making right now is only for American citizens. Its not like alternatives are not available, its just a matter of getting the masses to move onto them..........

I agree with what you have said here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom