What's new

Rocket failure delays US hypersonic glide missile test in Alaska after China fired second missile 'that defies the laws of physics'

Hmm.

Please allow me to expand on these themes for general knowledge sake.

Electric catapult

USA have deployed and extensively tested EMALS on Ford class.

China have tested EMALS on land but not on an aircraft carrier yet. China will deploy EMALS on Type 003 which is under development.

Verdict: USA seems to have advantage in this area.

Electric railgun

USA tested a prototype on land but pulled the plug in favor of alternatives.

China have deployed a prototype on a ship.

Verdict: China seems to have advantage in this area.

ICBM

American ICBM inventory is massive, and Trident II D5 SLBM is one of the most advanced with sophisticated MiRV capability (~14 warheads). This SLBM is also extensively tested for reliability. Accuracy is significantly improved with superfuze technology.

China managed to close the gap in terms of technology with the impressive DF-41 ICBM in 2017. This ICBM also have sophisticated MiRV capability (~10 warheads). CEP is on par with Trident II D5 SLBM minus superfuze technology.

Verdict: USA seems to have advantage in this area. China have closed the gap with DF-41, nevertheless.

MRL

You mean MRLS?

Chinese MRLS are PHL-03 and PHL-16 respectively. PHL-16 is recent and multi-munition capable.

PHL-16 can be equipped with Fire Dragon 480 TBM and TL-7B ASCM respectively.

American MRLS are M270 and M142 HIMARS respectively. Both are multi-munition capable and incredibly accurate.

Both can be equipped with MGM-140 ATACMS and PrSM respectively. PrSM will replace MGM-140 ATACMS in fact.

Former USSR and USA had INF treaty in times of Reagon administration due to which USA did not develop different types of missiles with both nuclear and tactical applications (TBM - IRBM). USA under Trump administration ditched INF treaty in 2019 due to concerns that Russia was not following it to the letter.

Due to INF treaty, China had the opportunity to outrange USA in the MRLS regime with PHL-16. This advantage will not last, however.

Verdict: China seems to have advantage in this area with PHL-16. But USA is about to bridge this gap.

Hypersonic missile

China developed, tested and fielded MRBM class DF-17 HGV for military applications in 2019. CEP is 'within meters' which is good enough for large stationary targets.

China launched an HGV prototype from an orbital platform to see how it works in this case. The test was successful but HGV suffered degradation in accuracy. China have denied a test of this nature.

It shall be noted that the USSR introduced the concept of Fractional Orbital Bombardment System (FOBS) but dropped it. China attempted the same but also dropped it.

USA developed and tested an ICBM class HGV prototype in 2010 and 2011 respectively. It is identified as the DARPA Falcon HTV-2.

USA dropped Falcon HTV-2 project for unknown reasons but developed (and testing) a new ICBM class HGV identified as C-HGB. This is the most accurate HGV design by far.

C-HGB was successfully tested two times with STARS ballistic missile launch system in 2017 (FE-1) and 2020 (FE-2) respectively.

USA have developed (and testing) an MRBM class HGV identified as ARRW and a hypersonic cruise missile identified as HAWC respectively.

Verdict: China managed to operationalize MRBM class HGV capability before USA.

5G

South Korea is the first country to explore 5G ICT technology concepts back in 2008.

Chinese company Huawei outpaced other companies by developing and deploying 5G ICT technology on large scale, however.

USA launched a campaign to counter-check global market share of Huawei, however.

Verdict: China outpaced others in developing and deploying 5G ICT on large scale. USA is attempting to erode this advantage with its Carrot and Stick Foreign Policy, and two American companies Apple and Ericsson seem to gain from this dynamic lately.
I disagree with you. You only explain half and keep the face saving for the american.

Forbes are doing another propaganda by giving the impression electric catapult reliability is solved. That is yet to see after 2022 mid relaunch after refit.

Selectively omitted Chinese most advance ICBM DF-41 while pick on sea based ICBM.

As for 5G , I need not say more. Many companies need to pay Huawei royalty when using current 5G.

The railgun of US are unreliable and too bulky. Not fit to fit onboard ship. If US really has such edge over railgun than China. Why would Congress cut fund for it? Definitely it's under performed and not up to expectation. Nothing to do with lack of fund or what.

I disagree with you. You only explain half and keep the face saving for the american.

Forbes are doing another propaganda by giving the impression electric catapult reliability is solved. That is yet to see after 2022 mid relaunch after refit.

Selectively omitted Chinese most advance ICBM DF-41 while pick on sea based ICBM.

As for 5G , I need not say more. Many companies need to pay Huawei royalty when using current 5G.

The railgun of US are unreliable and too bulky. Not fit to fit onboard ship. If US really has such edge over railgun than China. Why would Congress cut fund for it? Definitely it's under performed and not up to expectation. Nothing to do with lack of fund or what.
Looks like you completely failed to understand my post and its contents. Go through it again with cool mind and then get back to me.

China have not tested EMALS on a ship (i.e. aircraft carrier) yet. China have tested this technology on land which is not very instructive. China will test EMALS on Type 003 aircraft carrier which is under construction. USA have tested EMALS on ships (i.e. Ford class aircraft carriers), and have performed thousands of arrests by now. Understand the difference.

Chinese DF-41 ICBM is mentioned in my assessment. Recheck my post.

What did I point out about railgun prototying in my assessment? Recheck my post.

Disappointing.

Looks like you completely failed to understand my post and its contents. Go through it again with cool mind and then get back to me.

China have not tested EMALS on a ship (i.e. aircraft carrier) yet. China have tested this technology on land which is not very instructive. China will test EMALS on Type 003 aircraft carrier which is under construction. USA have tested EMALS on ships (i.e. Ford class aircraft carriers), and have performed thousands of arrests by now. Understand the difference.

Chinese DF-41 ICBM is mentioned in my assessment. Recheck my post.

What did I point out about railgun prototying in my assessment? Recheck my post.

Disappointing.
The greater point that these guys missed is that when China had the bulk of the R/D done by US on these technologies, and that China acquired the knowledge by hook or by crook, of course there will discrete points where China will be ahead of US in development and even deployment. We have no problems with that. On some technologies where China is ahead, the gap is operationally irrelevant. The conceptual levels of technologies are where it truly matter.

This forum is 50% idiots and 49% trolls, the remaining 1% don't get into such petty things. Not sure who proved it, but can you direct me to any such "proof"

So, which side are you, the idiot one, or the troll one? Well, 1% is off limit, isn't? As there are quite a number of mods and advisors in this forum. Unless you claim that those mods and advisors are either idiot or troll. That 1% belong to them.

Last edited:
A Declining (usa) vs A Rising one (China) :coffee:

2021 USA achievement :
1. Covid deaths champion
2. Keep extending the blackhole debt ceiling
3. Humiliated by Poor Taliban
4. Failed Hypersonic missile tests
5. Anymore?

Interesting time ahead for sure

Numerous F-22 / F-35 / F-16 / F15 accidents and incidents, which used to be the gem of the US Air Force. Have forgotten how many, because there are too many. Look like it happens every second month in 2020 and 2021. Not to mention the two B737 fatal accidents and the very disappointed way the US government has worked aftermath to find and eliminate the cause. And now B737 is announced to be safe to fly again. Who is naive enough to put their trust on their safety?

2020 and 2021 are really disastrous years to the fame of the US aircraft industry.

Last edited:

The Turks develop electromagnetic gun too. For bragging. It has no practical use. To power the gun you exhaust all fuel of the ship, to fire a shot then scrap the gun because it smolts after firing. No metal as we know can withstand the heat.
Unless you mount a nuclear power gun on the ship and name it nuclear gun.

The Turks develop electromagnetic gun too. For bragging. To power the gun you exhaust all fuel of the ship, to fire a shot then scrap the gun because it smolts after firing.
Unless you mount a nuclear power gun on the ship and name it nuclear gun.
LOL... Turkey never managed to put the railgun onboard ship to test it out becos its too big and the power need onboard is too massive which is out of Turkey limit. US also test railgun on land but guess what? US cancel railgun project becos the result is disappointing.

Only China managed all the require tech, miniature system, ample powerout and we managed to install onboard a LST and successfully test it out on sea.

LOL... Turkey never managed to put the railgun onboard ship to test it out becos its too big and the power need onboard is too massive which is out of Turkey limit. US also test railgun on land but guess what? US cancel railgun project becos the result is disappointing.

Only China managed all the require tech, miniature system, ample powerout and we managed to install onboard a LST and successfully test it out on sea.
You are like the Turks: empty bragging. Unless you can show something it’s just “watering the ducks”.

If I remember right, it failed again and again, not a single success. Please correct me if I missed any successful test.
it is a trick I think, Americans are light years ahead of the rest of the world.
they are flying generation 6 fighter jets and already have laser cannons installed on their planes.

but to keep the enemy confused Americans are giving false sense of superiority and confidence to China.
maybe this test did fail but they will overcome it.
Americans are successfully employing the trick they used against USSR . which was to force it to overspend on military and fall into bankruptcy.

if China is smart it must not fall for same trap.
As I said often on this forum, the US have no problems with anyone believing we are 'behind' them. As far as am concerned, the ones who boasts the most, like China and Russia, are the ones most uncertain of their status and ours.
yea, the Soviets were so sure about that too. as are Iranians , North Koreans and Klingons.
results wont be different.

You are like the Turks: empty bragging. Unless you can show something it’s just “watering the ducks”.
LOL... Yes, landing a rover on Mars by China is just CGI and hoax. Chinese space station is movie special effect only too. :rofl:
China brag only and never accomplish anything.....

You must be so happy with such statement to cloud nine! :enjoy:

The greater point that these guys missed is that when China had the bulk of the R/D done by US on these technologies, and that China acquired the knowledge by hook or by crook, of course there will discrete points where China will be ahead of US in development and even deployment. We have no problems with that. On some technologies where China is ahead, the gap is operationally irrelevant. The conceptual levels of technologies are where it truly matter.

Yes, US failure is due to its technology being stolen by China, for people never heard of Qian Xuesheng ballistic.

Yes, US failure is due to its technology being stolen by China, for people never heard of Qian Xuesheng ballistic.
I bet not one Chinese member willing to look at the US failure in a rational manner.

A Declining (usa) vs A Rising one (China) :coffee:

2021 USA achievement :
1. Covid deaths champion
2. Keep extending the blackhole debt ceiling
3. Humiliated by Poor Taliban
4. Failed Hypersonic missile tests
5. Anymore?

Interesting time ahead for sure
Not one of these American trolls will concede any wrongdoing or fault by Americans without relativizing it with some BS ramblings about China.

America is measured by the 1 time they claim they succeeded, instantly turning them into the "leaders" of the field, even when just catching up or scrambling to survive.
China is measured by how many articles American state propaganda writes about the same recycled 5 stories of Chinas alleged failures setting back China to point zero.

half idiot to answer you and half troll to say you definitely are a 100% retard

So, which side are you, the idiot one, or the troll one? Well, 1% is off limit, isn't? As there are quite a number of mods and advisors in this forum. Unless you claim that those mods and advisors are either idiot or troll. That 1% belong to them.

Last edited:
it is a trick I think, Americans are light years ahead of the rest of the world.
they are flying generation 6 fighter jets and already have laser cannons installed on their planes.

but to keep the enemy confused Americans are giving false sense of superiority and confidence to China.
maybe this test did fail but they will overcome it.
Americans are successfully employing the trick they used against USSR . which was to force it to overspend on military and fall into bankruptcy.

if China is smart it must not fall for same trap.

yea, the Soviets were so sure about that too. as are Iranians , North Koreans and Klingons.
results wont be different.

But at this moment, it's China that employing this trick against the US.

For note, This is not the first time that Chinese beating them in their own game. Hint : Free trade.
Free trade is a trick that US created to beat countries like China. But today, that's China beating them in Free trade. That's what their former president aka Trump crying for.

Good luck for playing a long game such arms race with a country that have Bigger Manufacturing Capability, 4x times population, Discipline work force, Efficient Industries, much Bigger GDP in PPP, and soon Bigger in terms of GDP Nominal :coffee:

China itself have much more Efficient Arms Industry compared to the US.
For example, the cost to build a Destroyer in China is much more efficient than in the US.

Chinese Defence Industry are also SOE that pegged their profit to 10%, meanwhile US defence industry are private companies that hunger for profit.

How the US Lost Shipbuilding Race with China
Screenshot_20211024-020839_Chrome.jpg

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/10/1...-sea-power-failure-decline-competition-china/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom