What's new

Russia grounds MiG-29 fighters following crash

Owais

Reaction score
Russia grounds MiG-29 fighters following crash

Agencies
Published: December 05, 2008, 17:56

Moscow: Russia's air force commander grounded all of the country's MiG-29 fighter jets on Friday after one of the aircraft crashed in eastern Siberia, the defence ministry said.

The pilot died when the jet crashed near the Domna airfield in the Chita region at 0612 Moscow time (0312 GMT), the defence ministry reported on its website.

"Air Forces Commander Colonel-General Alexander Zelin ordered the suspension of MiG-29 flights until all the circumstances of the accident have been clarified," the statement said.

A MiG-29 fighter crashed near the same airfield in October. The pilot ejected before the crash and survived.

The MiG-29, which is code named Fulcrum by Nato, is one of Russia's most advanced military jets. The 4th generation fighter was designed in the Soviet Union for an air superiority role.

Gulfnews: Russia grounds MiG-29 fighters following crash

okay now, Mig-29 is a legendary fighter that has been proven to be superior over F-15 and F-16 jets, according to the mock combat exercise in Germany between Luftwaffe and USAF. I did some research on this grounding of Russian Mig-29 and what I came to understand is that those Mig-29 were grounded because they were as old as 30 years ,without any overhauling done to them, ever! That's because after fall of Soviet Union Russia was in economic crunch and they only opted for upgrading Sukhoi fighters. Due to that, there has been some corrosion in the rear of the plane and now they have been grounded, not because of any design error that has been falsely reported in the news media.

Its the AirFrame Getting Older.
Some 100 Mig 29s were found Okey while some 200 are Grounded.

Are you serious?

I believe he is referring to some of the DACT exercises against F16's in WVR. Where the Mig's usually won due to the HMS and R-73 combination. He may also be referring to reports by various groups that the Mig 29 was superior to older F15's in WVR. Only in WVR against much older versions of the teen fighters though. They were and are inferior in BVR (apart from against the very early F16's) and are now inferior in WVR due to the JHMCS and AIM-9X combo.

I think Gromell's main point was that the issue of grounding was due to maintenance issues rather than design flaws.

Just trying to remove the thorn of discussion here over which one is better ;)

Regards,
Anoop

one more thing i don't think germany flies MIG29...or do they i dunno....?

Germany did fly mig-29 but they gave them to poland for 1$ each symbolic price.

But german are crazy they can bloody fly - a mig-21 better than f-16 by americans.

Germany did fly mig-29 but they gave them to poland for 1$ each symbolic price.

But german are crazy they can bloody fly - a mig-21 better than f-16 by americans.

True! We have to remember what Germans have given to fighter pilots community lol. Starting from the Red Baron Richtofen all the way to the highest scoring ace of all time Erich hartmann and the list goes on. Even nowadays, German pilots are still rated among the bests in the world. :enjoy:

Are you serious?

Mig-29 has better maneuverability and thus superior dog fighting ability than F-16. The BVR seems to be on F-16's advantage over Mig-29 but I think the latest developments of Mig-29 and the Mig-35 can achieve the same BVR capabilities of the latest F-16s or F-15s. or they can be fitted with western avionics and reach the same level of BVR capability. e.g. if Mig-35 wins the MRCA competition then India might use Israeli Elta radar system and probably French avionics(like Su-30MKI). The usual BVR missile for Russians-R77 adder actually(as reported) has longer range than American AMRAAM BVR missile.

Last edited:
one more thing i don't think germany flies MIG29...or do they i dunno....?

Yes East Germany used to fly Mig-29s. After the fall of Berlin wall, the unified Germany used those Mig-29s. They have been sold to Poland( I think 1 euro per fighter or something) and Germany is acquiring Eurofighter.

Back
Top Bottom