What's new

Russia, India to ink $40 bn gas deal: Reports

The one through China is the safest bet for US. Since there is way to much instability in the ME currently, and this would be drawback.
Plus middle east nations can bow down to pressure, unlike China.

Spend for now to have a relief for future. Gas is something that will go for decades, not for a few years. In decades time, no one is certain what future be.

In a move aimed at ensuring India’s energy security, the Narendra Modi-led government plans to import huge volumes of natural gas from Russia. The Centre is working out the contours of a $40-billion (Rs 2.4 lakh-crore) mega onland pipeline project carrying gas from Russia to India, in one of India’s biggest energy projects till date.

Advertisement
Top government officials told HT that the move follows Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Brazil on the sidelines of the Brics summit.

The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) along with the ministry of petroleum and natural gas are preparing a blueprint to examine the feasibility of this new project, they added.

An announcement on this initiative is expected to be made in December when the two leaders meet at the India-Russia annual summit to be held in New Delhi.

China has already finalised a similar gas pipeline deal with Moscow for importing gas. New Delhi, sources said, also plans to import crude oil from Moscow and the logistics for the same are being worked out.

“Russia so far has directed majority of its oil and gas supplies to the West… however, the scenario may be quiet different in the coming years especially in the wake of its gas pipeline to China and the one now proposed till India,” a senior oil ministry official said.

Two routes are being considered for the gas pipeline project. One is from Russia’s southern border to India via the Himalayas and the second from Russia - Astrakhan - Khazakstan — Uzbekistan and then along the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan route to India (TAPI gas pipeline).

The proposed project from Russia to India is almost four times the cost of the $10-billion (orRs.60,000-crore) Iran-Pakistan-India (IPI) gas pipeline project, also called the peace pipeline, which has failed to take off due to security concerns over the pipeline traversing through Pakistan and has been on the drawing board for the past many years.

“This government (under Modi) is taking all steps that will lead to a reduction in India’s oil import bill... apart from this proposed pipeline, reviving and pushing the other two projects — IPI and TAPI are also being looked into at the highest level,” he added.

The cost of the other onland gas pipeline project from Turkmenistan to India via Afghanistan and Pakistan (or the TAPI) project is also close to $8-10 billion.
GAIL India Ltd will be associated with this project along with a consortium of other state-owned oil and gas companies including Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), Oil India Ltd and Indian Oil, the official said.

India eyes $40-bn pipeline from Russia to import gas - Hindustan Times

What about it ? Lone Uighur terrorists usually attack with knives they neither have the capability to blow a pipeline. Our policemen kill them easily. They are a very small group, Xinjiang is majority Han now it's safe. We have pipelines from Kazakhstan to Xinjiang.

I seriously think that Pipeline from China should be given a serious thought,the pipeline that the Russians are building should be extended to India

we already build a road through Himalayas to reach india border. Those pipelines are not a much big deal for us.

Can you post a map of existing Pipelines in China

I seriously think that Pipeline from China should be given a serious thought,the pipeline that the Russians are building should be extended to India

How about an undersea pipeline from Iran/Oman to China via India ?
How feasible would that be ?

How about an undersea pipeline from Iran/Oman to China via India ?
How feasible would that be ?

It can be feasible.since we are planning a undersea Iran-India pipeline which sure can be extended to China if they demand

Modi goverment is trying to replicate ASEAN for SAARC. Even there are issues between ASEAN coutries and there have been wars and many warlike situations but ASEAN functioned inessantly. Hope SAARC nations show the maturity for benefits of their people. Although china route will be less of a political issue vis-a-vis Pakistan but economics is 4 times more. If Pakistan is smart they can negotiate a good deal from India but as long as they will be seen as a country headed to medieval peiod, reliability will be an issue in the long run. However, after Iran-Oman-India under sea pipeline, my vote will for the china route for the sake of diversity.

more talk, but no real actions. when i see then i will believe. untill then, i think its just talk to relieve pressure from Moscow, since it wants to show the west it has other options. I doubt this will ever happen, due to the issues/problems countries in this region have among each other.
So nothing to worry about really, well not yet. :cheers:

Be careful, India. West may sanction you.

anyway, the best route for you is China. It is not only just safety issue, but also because we can handle the pressure from West if neccessary.
yes but u cant handle the pressure from Dalai Lama and his followers residing in India.!. ..so we cant trust China...

more talk, but no real actions. when i see then i will believe. untill then, i think its just talk to relieve pressure from Moscow, since it wants to show the west it has other options. I doubt this will ever happen, due to the issues/problems countries in this region have among each other.
So nothing to worry about really, well not yet. :cheers:

Actually there is a very good chance that this will happen.

The pipeline is most like to travel via China to India as China is the only country that can guarantee to not succumb to Western pressure and also protect the pipeline from terrorist attacks.

India and Russia share a very deep relationship which has gotten to the stage that Russia is willing to give all it's non-nuclear military technology to the Indians - the PAK-FA is a prime example. Since India needs a stable Russia for its military development, then helping them out by buying gas would be a perfect win-win situation for both countries. China also gains in transit fees and keeping Russia afloat as an ally against the West.

Shortest route for pipeline is from Chinese Xinjiang to Indian Kashmir , For India besides Gas Indian industries can benefit from it by taking part in constructing pipeline and additional infrastructure associated with it also pipeline will open up trade route to Central Asia and Russia via china (silk route) which will be shortest route bypassing longer Iran route . For china pipeline will increase energy connection in Chinese regions and give jobs associated with pipeline culture in addition transit fee for pipeline . For Pakistan a pipeline can be branched to Pakistan from china

RCI pipeline.jpg

Russia is massively diversifying its resources and trade dealings.I am sure if they can move further they can simply show a middle finger to EU and US.Ghosh they already doing that.
In coming years Russia will exports most of its energy in to Asia means they become invulnerable to NATO sanctions in near future.

We must ink this agreement .It will ensure our energy security.First a pipeline from Iran and by adding this we can ensure energy for a certain extent.

this deal with China and now India I wonder how much money Russia will lose from not selling to the E.U? you know E.U pays top dollar, and building new pipelines to China and India will cut into profits for a few years.

It's still good to diverse, but E.U will always be Russia main source of income when selling nat.gas and oil.

but again we are moving from non-renewable to renewable, so E.U will become less reliant on Russia gas.

this is like chess.

For RCI pipeline to wor
this deal with China and now India I wonder how much money Russia will lose from not selling to the E.U? you know E.U pays top dollar, and building new pipelines to China and India will cut into profits for a few years.

It's still good to diverse, but E.U will always be Russia main source of income when selling nat.gas and oil.

but again we are moving from non-renewable to renewable, so E.U will become less reliant on Russia gas.

this is like chess.

China is Russia's largest trade partner ever bigger than Germany and Russia can increase trade with India which till now is miniscule because of lack of real interest and attention but this could change now

Just missing the part where there is the Himalayas but other then that wonderful day dreaming

facts-about-himalayas.jpg

Meet the day dreaming cat that wanted to be on Titanic
post-15448-Daydreamer-cat-looking-at-the-c9wr.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom