What's new

Russia wants to replace US computer chips with local processors

it's all about philosophy. You want to be independent...think independently,

I agree. :tup:

Would take a while though. First we have to concentrate on the things that pose actual realistic security threats, or economic benefits. Philosophy can wait.

I agree. :tup:

Would take a while though. First we have to concentrate on the things that pose actual realistic security threats, or economic benefits. Philosophy can wait.

Why are you selling yourself short????
Linux was written way back in 1991 mostly be one man.
Are you saying you can't replicate something like that easily???

The amount of R&D money it takes to stay at the cutting edge of process technology is a huge barrier, let alone the actual technical ability.

There are 100 reasons that something like this won't be happening any time soon.

Russians already have Elbrus-4C whose per core performance is 55-60 Gflops. Pretty good and nearby i7 . And next supercomputer T-platforms will supply to Russian govt will be using Elbrus-4C .

Exactly, that is why I said that the "Traditional market" cannot accommodate a new player. Even India manufactures micro-controllers to fulfill specific needs, but any country/agency dreaming about mass-production and grabbing a significant market share will need to produce something new and innovative (never seen before stuff).

Monoblock PC is there made by Kraftway using Elbrus-4C. Many companies in russia are switching kraftway because of the NSA leaks.So you have the market too.

Why are you selling yourself short????
Linux was written way back in 1991 mostly be one man.
Are you saying you can't replicate something like that easily???

I'm sure we can, but like I said, we are in an early stage and need to focus on the more pragmatic things first. Philosophy and ego can take a backseat while we are still a developing country (and maybe afterwards too).

The Internet was a DARPA project, not CIA.
You say "once", and most others would say "if".
Russia may, if it spend 3,5B$ get out a chip, fabbed by Samsung or similar,
but will have a problem getting people to buy it on a free market.
Currently the market is almost zero for ARM based PC style computers.

Pads, mobile phones etc is different, but then you need state of the art
mobile telephony as well which is another couple of B$.

Actually, there is a good market which has emerged due to snowden leaks at least in corporate sector and govt sector. So there goes the server segment and PC segment to Elbrus Kraftway. Kraftway has its monoblock PC and now it will be going into the server segment. NSA leaks did the impossible .Created demand for Elbrus based servers in Russia.

I'm sure we can, but like I said, we are in an early stage and need to focus on the more pragmatic things first. Philosophy and ego can take a backseat while we are still a developing country.

Chinese you got loongson and Sheiwei. Already Chinese corporates are shifting to local chip based servers. Even the company which I work in has considered using Elbrus monoblock PC or loongson based computer workstation because of corporate espionage of NSA.

Ok its good to go indigenous but how much it would take them reach half the IPC of top x64 single core. ARM is too weak in front of x64 chips.

Elbrus runs on both VLIW and x86 architecture very efficiently. Baikal microprocessor seems to be an alternative by T-Platforms ,an private intiative. Likely ,it will never be used by Russian military which heavily prefer Elbrus.

Last edited:
Russians already have Elbrus-4C whose per core performance is 55-60 Gflops. Pretty good and nearby i7 . And next supercomputer T-platforms will supply to Russian govt will be using Elbrus-4C .

Gflops in single and double precision for a CPU are practically meaningless. GPUs are the king of compute, with an Nvidia Titan at 4,500 Glops. A 65mn 800mhz chip with a 45w TDP is going to be an absolute dog.

Edit: Appears to be manufactured at TSMC, which is who makes GPUs for AMD and Nvidia, and SoCs for apple, etc. Not Russian silicon?

Last edited:
Good luck with that...... won't be happening, at least in the next decade! :D

Gflops in single and double precision for a CPU are practically meaningless. GPUs are the king of compute, with an Nvidia Titan at 4,500 Glops. A 65mn 800mhz chip with a 45w TDP is going to be an absolute dog.

That problem is dealt with the superscalar architecture. And you are talking about a gaming processor a GPU ? Lol, do you know that GPU is not suited for complex processing and is meant for massive streams of simple processing .And GPU is useless where parallel computing and superscalar processing is considered

There is a reason why GPU has not replaced CPU .CPU still is the brain of the computer. But then we know how american propaganda is .

In other words, CPUs and GPUs have significantly different architectures that make them better suited to different tasks. A GPU can handle large amounts of data in many streams, performing relatively simple operations on them, but is ill-suited to heavy or complex processing on a single or few streams of data. A CPU is much faster on a per-core basis (in terms of instructions per second) and can perform complex operations on a single or few streams of data more easily, but cannot efficiently handle many streams simultaneously.

Why Are We Still Using CPUs Instead of GPUs?

So spare me your BS rants. There is good reason why Corporates are thinking of alternatives.

And Elbrus is very near i7 now. Good for Russian T-Platforms Supercomputer.

Good luck with that...... won't be happening, at least in the next decade! :D

Why? Russians have Elbrus CPU with 55-60 Gflops per core which is pretty near to I7.

Last edited:
Linux is open source, you can read the code before you compile it, so no chance of back doors.

Have you heard about something called code bloating? Even some versions of Open Source Linux are known to be containing back-doors in certain modules. Not everybody can read and analyze thousands of lines of code (not including the government agencies).

And Elbrus is very near i7 now. Good for Russian T-Platforms Supercomputer.

Why? Russians have Elbrus CPU with 55-60 Gflops per core which is pretty near to I7.

There are several reasons behind the popularity of Intel core over other products, and efficient Floating Point Operation is just one of those many reasons. Intel's instruction set is very rich and has become a standard for the Industry.

Just for the information of the forum members above 95% of all Microprocessors consumed by the industry are 8-bit and 16-bit Harvard Architecture Microcontrollers and not the high end CPUs used in PCs, Mainframes and SCs. Almost all major countries can produce these chips locally. Even India manufactures microprocessors and micro-controllers. Major educational institutions like IITs in India have VLSI labs.

@mandrom

I am a fairly experienced computer hardware enthusiast. You are basically using a meaningless metric when comparing the speed of CPUs and are unaware of what a GPU is capable of.

The best part is that is easy to prove all of us wrong. Link to some verifiable benchmarks in an apples-to-apples comparison, and you win the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom