What's new

Russian Economy almost the same size like Germany according to Worldbank

Quality of GDP is significantly different for Russia and Germany

Russia is an oil and gas exporter. Basically, another Saudi Arabia (e.g. everybody's favorite gas station).

Germany is a strong industrial power.

While the quantitative aspect of GDP for Russia may start to approach Germany, the qualitative difference is as wide as ever (e.g. no such thing as a Russian Siemens or Mercedes Benz).

Russia is an oil and gas exporter. Basically, another Saudi Arabia (e.g. everybody's favorite gas station).

While the quantitative aspect of GDP for Russia may start to approach Germany, the qualitative difference is as wide as ever (e.g. no such thing as a Russian Siemens or Mercedes Benz).

Russians have considerable lead in fast nuclear reactors and nuclear enrichment.Military goods is their forte also.Plus they are the only ones to have commercially extracted methane hydrates for 20 years in a Siberian Hydrate field near Norilsk. Plus Russia is home to several engineering and construction companies.Also they have a lead in civil defence and passive nuclear countermeasures like underground bunkers for a large part of the citizenry which will enable nuclear war survival for the population.Plus their knowledge of Material sciences ,Geophysics ,Geology and Subtle energy fields is exemplary and unmatched,which is why the most preferred geologists in the oil and gas and minerals industry are russians,especially the older generation(oil field services like Workover and drilling dominated by Americans today.)

Need I continue?

The fact that you believe that PPP should not be used for international comparisons, and only nominal GDP is correct way to compare economies, shows that you dont have a slightest clue about economics. No wonder you also dont know that oil and gas constitute 7% of Russian GDP. You really should refrain from commenting on economical topics due to utter incompetence.

Russians have considerable lead in fast nuclear reactors and nuclear enrichment.Military goods is their forte also.Plus they are the only ones to have commercially extracted methane hydrates for 20 years in a Siberian Hydrate field near Norilsk. Plus Russia is home to several engineering and construction companies.Also they have a lead in civil defence and passive nuclear countermeasures like underground bunkers for a large part of the citizenry which will enable nuclear war survival for the population.Plus their knowledge of Material sciences ,Geophysics ,Geology and Subtle energy fields is exemplary and unmatched,which is why the most preferred geologists in the oil and gas and minerals industry are russians,especially the older generation(oil field services like Workover and drilling dominated by Americans today.)

Need I continue?

Before you continue rambling, can you name the Russian equivalent of Siemens or Mercedes Benz? How about a Russian version of Carl Zeiss? I didn't think so.

The fact that you believe that PPP should not be used for international comparisons, and only nominal GDP is correct way to compare economies, shows that you dont have a slightest clue about economics. No wonder you also dont know that oil and gas constitute 7% of Russian GDP. You really should refrain from commenting on economical topics due to utter incompetence.

You have confused me with Chinese-Dragon. I haven't discussed PPP in this thread.

However, since you brought it up, Chinese-Dragon is correct. A "PPP" dollar does not exist. You can't buy a Boeing airplane with non-existent PPP dollars. People will just laugh at you if you suggest such a silly idea.

Regarding oil and gas exports, you are comparing apples to oranges. It is not the 7% of Russian GDP that is significant. It is the dominant position of oil, gas, and commodity metal exports as a proportion of total Russian exports (see citation below).

----------

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/exports

"Russia Exports

Russia exports were worth 40.8 Billion USD in June of 2012. Historically, from 1994 until 2012, Russia Exports averaged 17.8 Billion USD reaching an all time high of 51.0 Billion USD in December of 2011 and a record low of 4.1 Billion USD in January of 1994. Metals and energy make up more than 80 percent of Russia's exports. The country is the world’s largest oil producer and the biggest exporter of natural gas, nickel and palladium. Energy sales contribute almost half of Russia’s budget revenue.The Russian fishing industry is the world's fourth-largest. Main export partners are Netherlands, Germany and Italy. This page includes a chart with historical data for Russia Exports."

You have confused me with Chinese-Dragon. I haven't discussed PPP in this thread.

However, since you brought it up, Chinese-Dragon is correct. A "PPP" dollar does not exist. You can't buy a Boeing airplane with non-existent PPP dollars. People will just laugh at you if you suggest silly things like that.

Nope, no one was discussing whether PPP dollar exist or not. The discussion was about whether PPP can be used in international comparisons. You agreed to the claim that it cannt be used. Thus you showed complete lack of basic knowledge about economics.
Regarding oil and gas exports, you are comparing apples to oranges. It is not the 7% of Russian GDP that is significant. It is the dominant position of oil, gas, and commodity metal exports as a proportion of total Russian exports.

Again you changed the subject. Your statement was about quality of Russian GDP not about structure of Russian exports. Your first statement in this thread is completely wrong.

Nope, no one was discussing whether PPP dollar exist or not. The discussion was about whether PPP can be used in international comparisons. You agreed to the claim that it cannt be used. Thus you showed complete lack of basic knowledge about economics.

Again you changed the subject. Your statement was about quality of Russian GDP not about structure of Russian exports. Your first statement in this thread is completely wrong.

I feel like I'm arguing against an Indian. I can't believe how much hair splitting you're involved in.

Anyway, I'm just making the point that Russia isn't close to Germany's civilian technological level at this time. That could change in the future and we can reassess in another ten or twenty years.

Before you continue rambling, can you name the Russian equivalent of Siemens or Mercedes Benz? How about a Russian version of Carl Zeiss? I didn't think so.

Clearly you continue to demonstrate your ignorance:

Check E4 Group engineering/construction
VNIIPNEFT(minerals,oil and gas equipment manufacturer)
Atommash/Atomstroyexport
Arsenal Design Bureau
Technopromexport
All engineering companies.

Its the renewables and railroad tech segments that Siemens has secured in Russia.
And if you want to talk about Benz,I would recommend you check Kombat T98 and as there is no middle luxury segment car in the russian market .Its a luxury vehicle capable of withstanding an RPG built in EU and Russia,developed by Russians. call me when your luxury car segment has something similiar.As for MaRussia,its good but not up to the level of the Japanese or Italians.

And call me when West has capability to commercially extract Methane Hydrates,the infinite methane resource of the planet.West has been trying since 20 years to extract commercially but it has been a failure.Russians,They have been producing from Methane Hydrate near Norilsk since the 70's THAT to commercially.
And call me when your nation can do something other than just printing money and treasury bonds and bombing other nations.

Clearly you continue to demonstrate your ignorance:

Check E4 Group engineering/construction
VNIIPNEFT(minerals,oil and gas equipment manufacturer)
Atommash/Atomstroyexport
Arsenal Design Bureau
Technopromexport
All engineering companies.

Its the renewables and railroad tech segments that Siemens has secured in Russia.
And if you want to talk about Benz,I would recommend you check Kombat T98 and as there is no middle luxury segment car in the russian market .Its a luxury vehicle capable of withstanding an RPG built in EU and Russia,developed by Russians. call me when your luxury car segment has something similiar.As for MaRussia,its good but not up to the level of the Japanese or Italians.

And call me when West has capability to commercially extract Methane Hydrates,the infinite methane resource of the planet.West has been trying since 20 years to extract commercially but it has been a failure.Russians,They have been producing from Methane Hydrate near Norilsk since the 70's THAT to commercially.
And call me when your nation can do something other than just printing money and treasury bonds and bombing other nations.

No one outside of Russia or a determined Indian has ever heard of those companies.

Look, I'm not trying to put Russia down. I'm just saying it's a stretch to claim Russia is the next Germany. That's hard to believe. The Russians will have to work much harder to change our minds.

Anyway, I'm just making the point that Russia isn't close to Germany's civilian technological level at this time. That could change in the future and we can reassess in another ten or twenty years.

Only in certain segments.Like I said only in certain segments. The problem with russians ,They are worst marketers.They should from China the basis of enterpreneurship.But Excellent tech makers though.
R

Only in certain segments.Like I said only in certain segments. The problem with russians ,They are worst marketers.They should from China the basis of enterpreneurship.But Excellent tech makers though.
R

Okay, they might have pockets of excellence. Whew! People always get upset at my objectivity.

Perhaps I should start turning into a politically correct weasel and claim every country is just as good at everything as every other country. People today have a hard time listening to the truth.

No one outside of Russia or a determined Indian has ever heard of those companies.

Either you are ignorant or really out of touch.My company made procurement of oil and gas Equipments from VNIIPNEFT and Uralmash.We didn't go for Schneider or Isolux or Siemens or GE.Even Reliance and Essar have procured equipments from Uralmash instead of Baker Hughes because uralmash drilling rigs are pretty good and reasonablly priced too and BP subsidiary TNK uses Uralmash rigs . Even the Russian diamond core and PDC drill bits are superior to Western ones and cheaper too.Though the chinese really have leapfrogged both the russians and westerners,goodness in diamond core bits .But Chinese onshore rigs ,they suck big time.Offshore its South Korean.

Okay, they might have pockets of excellence. Whew! People always get upset at my objectivity.

Perhaps I should start turning into a politically correct weasel and claim every country is just as good at everything as every other country. People today have a hard time listening to the truth.

People have a hard time listening to propaganda myths these days thanks to the internet.If its someone who really has an engineering edge then its the French.Excellent equipment makers for power,aircraft and renewable sector they are,especially Areva .Even Total is impressive with its offshore operations and tertiary oil recovery methods .

If there is a company which is world class in engineering ,then its Alstom.Siemens,GE are overrated.

Either you are ignorant or really out of touch.My company made procurement of oil and gas Equipments from VNIIPNEFT and Uralmash.We didn't go for Schneider or Isolux or Siemens or GE.Even Reliance and Essar have procured equipments from Uralmash instead of Baker Hughes because uralmash drilling rigs are pretty good and reasonablly priced too and BP subsidiary TNK uses Uralmash rigs . Even the Russian diamond core and PDC drill bits are superior to Western ones and cheaper too.Though the chinese really have leapfrogged both the russians and westerners,goodness in diamond core bits .But Chinese onshore rigs ,they suck big time.Offshore its South Korean.

People have a hard time listening to propaganda myths these days thanks to the internet.If its someone who really has an engineering edge then its the French.Excellent equipment makers for power,aircraft and renewable sector they are,especially Areva .Even Total is impressive with its offshore operations and tertiary oil recovery methods .

If there is a company which is world class in engineering ,then its Alstom.Siemens,GE are overrated.

I can't believe you claim the French have the engineering edge. They are a small country with a small R&D budget. Also, for your information, French jet engines are based on GE technology.

----------

Snecma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Products

The company's major civil aircraft engine is the CFM International CFM56. Produced by a partnership between Snecma and General Electric, CFM56s power more than 4,900 aircraft around the world.

Snecma is also the main partner for the General Electric CF6-80 and GE90 programs.
Snecma recently increased its presence in the high-thrust turbofan segment by joining the Engine Alliance GP7000 program managed by the Engine Alliance, a 50/50 joint venture of General Electric and Pratt & Whitney. This engine is one of two options available to power the Airbus A380."

Look, I'm not trying to put Russia down. I'm just saying it's a stretch to claim Russia is the next Germany. That's hard to believe. The Russians will have to work much harder to change our minds.

Russia is not next Germany.The new generation really lacks a world class education system which was an hallmark of the soviets,especially sciences.The only thing that will run russian technological developments are the soviet patents and developments which were ahead of their time.

And Germany is overrated.The next technological powerhouses are China,South Korea and France will continue to retain its position.

I can't believe you claim the French have the engineering edge. They are a small country with a small R&D budget. Also, for your information, French jet engines are based on GE technology.

----------

Snecma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Products

The company's major civil aircraft engine is the CFM International CFM56. Produced by a partnership between Snecma and General Electric, CFM56s power more than 4,900 aircraft around the world.

Snecma is also the main partner for the General Electric CF6-80 and GE90 programs.
Snecma recently increased its presence in the high-thrust turbofan segment by joining the Engine Alliance GP7000 program managed by the Engine Alliance, a 50/50 joint venture of General Electric and Pratt & Whitney. This engine is one of two options available to power the Airbus A380."

This was the company that developed Concorde's engines?. And clearly your source doesn't say based on GE technology.

The GE90 was launched in 1990 by GE Aviation associated with Snecma (France), IHI (Japan) and Avio (Italy).
General Electric GE90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clearly a technical partnership.

Maybe you should check Alstom successes in turn key projects.And wikipedia does not represent the truth,it only verifiability .Also Alstom is heavily working with Areva on smart grids.

This was the company that developed Concorde's engines?. And clearly your source doesn't say based on GE technology.

Clearly a technical partnership.

France has been feeding off GE's multibillion dollar R&D budget after World War II. Where did you think the war-ravaged French got their jet engines? Out of thin air?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom