What's new

S. Korea’s New Stealth Fighter Design

Looks like a twin engined F-35. That means F-35 is going to win F-X program too.
No, Lockheed Martin is offering zero tech transfer as the offset of F-35 purchase.

Wonder how the external stores would actually inhibit radar signatures.
KFX will not attain the full 5th gen status until the internal weapons bay is operational in Block 2.

This is the reason why the Korean government was hesitant to call KFX a full 5th gen aircraft, because Block 1 units won't have the radio signal emissions control and internal weapons bay ready in time for Block 1 IOC in 2020.

It does not need to be independently developed South Korea has worked with Lockheed before. Engines can be purchased from abroad and foreign input can always be utilized if the South Koreans wish. The South Koreans have a very good semiconductor industry as well a strong industrial industry both are considered to be very good (Samsung, Hyundai, ect) , this means the South Koreans have the companies to do subcontracting work both in avionics as well as in general structural components.

And you have to watch your own axx when they really can make a fighters!

What if one day South Korean air forces joint missions with USAF to bomb your Russia!

Keep that cocky face up high to the sky! :azn:

I think people are seriously under estimating South Korea. They sure would have the tech to develop at least a 4th gen fighter, I would be surprised if they couldn't develop 5th gen fighter. SK has some seriously good engineers and they inter-twyne their lives with technology like no other country does. While some countries sit down and watch a football game on a Friday night, SK's sit in front of their TV and watch competitive video games tournaments like football fans do.
Also have a look at all the high tech companies SK has got. SK is basically the silicon valley of Asia and I have no doubt they would do a very good job at a 5th gen.

politically and logistically they cant``since they are americans ally, and all of their defence logistic systems are all using american or Nato's standerds, besides russia wouldnt want america to know too much details of their 5th gen fighter whether good or bad`
Russia sold small lot sizes of their military equipment to the Americans in the 1990s for the express purpose of American military scientists to research better countermeasures against Russian equipment. There is even high profile cases where the American navy ordered batches of Sunburn anti-ship missiles to test their CIWS and shipborne anti-missile defenses. That's how incompetent Yeltsin was! I don't believe the Russians are as naive today but there's no doubt that once India begins taking delivery of the FGFA that Americans will get unfettered access to it.

price, production rights, avionics etc etc
I don't think anybody with the real picture concerning the F-35 would want to be part of this dog. It's vastly overpriced given the available options. If it were possible to negotiate either technology transfer of F-35 subsystems, specifically the radar and HUD/EODAS tech, they could mate this onto their far far far cheaper indigenous airframe with foreign engines.

sure most probably they will go for f-35 however designated role for KF-X is air superiority

and I dont think that it is a shame for Koreans to get some help in this project!
I would think it is an extremely impressive accomplishment for South Korea who never even produced a viable 2nd gen fighter on its own! All the designers and builders of indigenous 4+ generation fighters are large powers (USA, Russia, China, Eurozone). For a little pipsqueak like South Korea, with such inadequate aeronautics experience, to do this would be almost as surprising as the J-20 from the technology sanctioned China. The closest analogy to this is Sweden's very respectable Gripen, which relies on a large number of international subcontractors, which in no way could compare to a 4.5+ gen stealthy LO fighter.

Also have a look at all the high tech companies SK has got. SK is basically the silicon valley of Asia and I have no doubt they would do a very good job at a 5th gen.
Did you say South Korea is the silicon valley of Asia??? Japan is the UNDISPUTED technology champion of Asia. South Korea is even going to be surpassed by China in the near future, and already has been in many areas, despite all the official and unofficial technology sanctions against China. Taiwan province alone is arguably more advanced in pure scientific research than Korea despite Korea's much larger R&D establishment. Let's not go overboard when assessing South Korea's strengths. I am quite sure it will be able to develop its own 5th gen stealth fighter (much inferior), as long as the Americans cooperate with them.

Back
Top Bottom