What's new

Safari Storme beats Scorpio to replace Indian Army's Gypsy Fleet

I hope Army does not seek Tata service centres every 10kms across the border! Tata is the enemy of reliability when it comes to automobiles. I experienced it twice in the past decades - Once an Indica and next was Indica Vista Multijet - Enough to know where the quality lies. Rust bucket, lacking build quality, alignment issues (tyres not lasting) and parts replacing on every visit to service centre.

In South Africa, they have a favourite TATA song due to the infamous nature of Tata's reputation. Let me find out.

I hope Army does not seek Tata service centres every 10kms across the border! Tata is the enemy of reliability when it comes to automobiles. I experienced it twice in the past decades - Once an Indica and next was Indica Vista Multijet - Enough to know where the quality lies. Rust bucket, lacking build quality, alignment issues (tyres not lasting) and parts replacing on every visit to service centre.

In South Africa, they have a favourite TATA song due to the infamous nature of Tata's reputation. Let me find out.

Ancient history.

If they were that maintenance heavy, there would not be thousands of call center Indica cabs across the country in every city. A cab cannot afford downtime. That's the reason why cab guys swear by Innova. Same with the Indica.

Its pretty fashionable in India to abuse and run down Indian companies. Like Tata in the 4 wheeler segment or Bajaj in the two wheeler segment. Not saying thats what you are doing or that you did not face genuine issues. But I am a first time Tata customer. My SUV is closing on to its 4th birthday. And I couldn't be happier. In fact I am eyeing the Hexa next. And the army coming on as a huge institutional customer will only be a good thing for the entire product line. In terms of ruggedness and reliability, pushed to the limits and tested by the toughest.

Its pretty fashionable in India to abuse and run down Indian companies.
Patriotism cannot help in building quality. Mahindra and Tata are too behind in terms of quality, consistency and reliability. Don't relate patriotism with Indian products. Tatas are maintenance heavy and deteriorating after 1-2 years of use. Don't defend these shitty products in the name of patriotism. I have nice views on TVS - An Indian company, Even Hinduja-Leyland too. So, don't assume I'm against all Indian made cars. Truth hurts.

Patriotism cannot help in building quality. Mahindra and Tata are too behind in terms of quality, consistency and reliability. Don't relate patriotism with Indian products. Tatas are maintenance heavy and deteriorating after 1-2 years of use. Don't defend these shitty products in the name of patriotism. I have nice views on TVS - An Indian company, Even Hinduja-Leyland too. So, don't assume I'm against all Indian made cars. Truth hurts.

I'm not being patriotic. And I find nothing attractive about the Apache, which is TVS's flagship product. You have had bad experiences with Tata vehicles. Mine is still brand new even after 4 years of daily use. And great service and stellar warranty. Not to mention a fantastic value AMC program. Millions of Indica cabbies across the country are not just being patriotic. It's their stomach and that of their families. The new Tata range of Hexa, Zest and Bolt, starting with the Manza and the Storme is truly world class. You can continue to agree to disagree. But I know my vehicles. Both cars and bikes. A mad motorhead. Been one for over 25 years now.

CzUrsiJUcAAR0ns.jpg

This is correct picture

Did you drive Storme ? After a while Scorpio feels quite just Okay plus storme looks more leener plus Scorpio maintenance is quite high and Scorpio is less Aerodynamic. Scorpio nothing but Gaon ki Gadi, I am quite Happy with selection.
Aarey but if you look at the newer model.... The work they've done is phenomenal

It's not a dick measuring thread. The requirement for PA is I guess entirely different from IA. IIRC we used to operate licenced version of a Japanese vehicle called JONGA!
I don't know what it was originally called but it had a very high fuel consumption so gradually IA shifted to Gypsy!Someone who knows what I am talking about can help me please?
JONGA was a very capable vehicles, IIRC 6 cylinders 4 speed! Jabalpur ordinance and guncarriage assembly, 45deg approach angle and great water wading capacity.

CzUrsiJUcAAR0ns.jpg

This is correct picture

No it is not. This is not the Storme but the Tata pick-up, Xenon. Same engine and gearbox, different tune and ratios. Firangs love this beast.

Aarey but if you look at the newer model.... The work they've done is phenomenal

Agree. Lots of bling. But power remains the same. And internal space. And ride quality while improved is still classic pogo stick.

Last edited:
Not sure is the Storme is a better selection
Storme is better than Gypsy and safari both !!

lol hardly 2100cc "brute" ... :lol:

Even my cj 5 has a 3400cc engine... an thats not even half the size/weight of it.
how much is the cost ?

I myself was hoping it would be the Scorpio.
I've had an experience with both the vehicles and currently own a Scorpio.
In terms of performance, fuel economy and space I think it would had been a better choice.
Also the muscular build :-)
Scorpio has space issue.

what purpose they bought this top end ,expensive , luxury suv ?

How is it expensive bro? The bare bones base model with just ABS, all four wheel discs, and power steering and windows, and twin projector lamps (H7), comes in just above 10 lacs ex showroom. Nearly 1.5-2 lacs less if through CSD. 1 lac or more less in union territories. 50K less out of Octroi areas. Do you see any other full sized twin turbo dual clutch 6 speed ladder on frame SUV with 156 bhp 400 Nm torque that gives 10-11 kmpl in the city and 14-16 kmpl on the highway and touches a true 190+ kmph with amazing stability and mile munching abilities that comes in at this price in India? The Storme is 90% the Fortuner and less than 50% the price. And it is built by an Indian company. One has to sit in the Storme and then the Fortuner to appreciate the space and comfort and ride of a Storme. Both in the front seats as well as the middle row (which people compare to nothing less than high end Mercs for support and comfort and *** and leg space). Not to mention the most powerful dual coil AC in business.

The Scorpio no offense is not in the same class. It is a whole category lower. It has a shorter wheelbase and gearing so is more nimble and has slightly better pickup (for the city and the mountains). But it is pretty unstable, jumps and bobs and sways a lot (making passengers pretty sick), scary brakes, and does not come close to the Storme in terms of grunt and outright performance. If I'm not mistaken, its still using the same engine block as the Safari and Storme but producing only 120 bhp and a lot less torque. And tops out (with a brave and skilled enough driver) and 160-170 max. And moving from a Storme into a Scorpio, one feels as if they have moved from a 3 bhk into a 1 bhk studio apartment. Especially in the middle row with the near vertical seat back and the knees touching the front seats.

Last edited:
How is it expensive bro? The bare bones base model with just ABS, all four wheel discs, and power steering and windows, and twin projector lamps (H7), comes in just above 10 lacs ex showroom. Nearly 1.5-2 lacs less if through CSD. 1 lac or more less in union territories. 50K less out of Octroi areas. Do you see any other full sized twin turbo dual clutch 6 speed ladder on frame SUV with 156 bhp 400 Nm torque that gives 10-11 kmpl in the city and 14-16 kmpl on the highway and touches a true 190+ kmph with amazing stability and mile munching abilities that comes in at this price in India? The Storme is 90% the Fortuner and less than 50% the price. And it is built by an Indian company. One has to sit in the Storme and then the Fortuner to appreciate the space and comfort and ride of a Storme. Both in the front seats as well as the middle row (which people compare to nothing less than high end Mercs for support and comfort and *** and leg space). Not to mention the most powerful dual coil AC in business.

The Scorpio no offense is not in the same class. It is a whole category lower. It has a shorter wheelbase and gearing so is more nimble and has slightly better pickup (for the city and the mountains). But it is pretty unstable, jumps and bobs and sways a lot (making passengers pretty sick), scary brakes, and does not come close to the Storme in terms of grunt and outright performance. If I'm not mistaken, its still using the same engine block as the Safari and Storme but producing only 120 bhp and a lot less torque. And tops out (with a brave and skilled enough driver) and 160-170 max. And moving from a Storme into a Scorpio, one feels as if they have moved from a 3 bhk into a 1 bhk studio apartment. Especially in the middle row with the near vertical seat back and the knees touching the front seats.

what purpose they are buying ?
only after that , we can go to marits !!!

Back
Top Bottom