What's new

Salman Rushdie on Pakistan

Useless thread, what he said is in bad taste. There needs to be some level of respect for all people. There are 170 million people living in Pakistan and they love it, if you do not like a place do not go there but do not give such statements. Everyone loves their country and if you feel bad when someone says this to your country, you should not do it to others. Actually these basic manners are not so common with some people.

@Thread Starter what is the point opening the thread, feeling happy? The fact is you are looking stupid.

@Thread Starter what is the point opening the thread, feeling happy? The fact is you are looking stupid.
It's called freedom of speech. I wanted to see how they'd defend what Rushdie says. I think videos like this are eventually good for the Pakistani mind. And FYI this video is a few years old.

It's called freedom of speech. I wanted to see how they'd defend what Rushdie says. I think videos like this are eventually good for the Pakistani mind. And FYI this video is a few years old.

Why do we need to defend ourselves from what he says? It's not like he's an authority figure, or a figure that is highly looked upon in the world, etc. Any random tom dick and harry can talk crap. It's quite obvious that what he says is mostly false, inaccurate, or one side of the story.

let me corect you Anonymous-clown he was once , he isnt any more

His forefathers were probably muslims. He just gave a little description of his parents and I really doubt they were really Muslims.

@ indian members: You become muslim by your belief and not by your ancestry.

the irony is his mother later moved to pakistan she lives in pakistan or lived(not sure if he is still alive today)and he is banned from pakistan .Life is funny....

I hope you know that he is Muslim himself.

hope you are educated enough to know that salman rushie though being ahmedi muslim is not respected among his muslim frnds for writing a book 'satanic verses' insulting quran, and he got very controversial then.. he was penalized by death by muslims.. in his book he also cursed against the same queen who knighted him later. thus once disgraced by people, by his hate mongering, his views cant be trusted anymore

There is the right to freedom of speech and then there is the British government ignoring the feelings of Pakistan and their own Muslim citizens. It is not only callous it is stupid, the knighthood for Rushdie pin-pointed the moment when many many British Muslim youths became radicalized. This include members of 7/7 bombers.

If the British were not willing to accept the principals Muslims held, they should not have let them in the country.

I never expected him to sound like a pissy teenager with pms. Hopefully being granted a knighthood matured him up. Not bashing his freedom of speech but nobody should aim to be a real life troll.

Not many people gain fame or respect by bad mouthing another group of people, but it speaks volumes about his fan base rather than a guy who just used the opportunity.

@cardsharp ^^ eh, Rushdie has had a literary career. they knighted him for it. if some idiot decides to blow himself up based on an inconsequential award, its purely the fault of the idiot.

@cardsharp ^^ eh, Rushdie has had a literary career. they knighted him for it. if some idiot decides to blow himself up based on an inconsequential award, its purely the fault of the idiot.

Saying nothing of what is deserved and what isn't (all a matter of perspective in an arbitrary field like literature anyways), it was just plain stupid to piss off a good number of Muslims during a time when radicals are a concern.

Hopefully being granted a knighthood matured him up. Not bashing his freedom of speech but nobody should aim to be a real life troll.

You can hope that fish will grow legs and walk on land as well.

ok, the award was unpragmatic but you sound against it in principle. which isn't the position i hold.

There is the right to freedom of speech and then there is the British government ignoring the feelings of Pakistan and their own Muslim citizens. It is not only callous it is stupid, the knighthood for Rushdie pin-pointed the moment when many many British Muslim youths became radicalized. This include members of 7/7 bombers.

If the British were not willing to accept the principals Muslims held, they should not have let them in the country.

Generally when people migrate to a certain country, they are expected to adopt that countries principals, not the other way around. And I find it hard to believe the government would have awarded him the knighthood just to piss a certain section of the population off. It was awarded for his literary career, not for his controversial views.

ok, the award was unpragmatic but you sound against it in principle. which isn't the position i hold.

I have no other principle than pragmatism, but it's a pragmatism includes a free society.

Like I said, either they don't let Muslims into the country or they at least think about the impact of such awards given by literary critics. The people who nominated Rushdie for the prize likely had very little idea about the impact that the award would have. This is where the government should step in and evaluate, or at least explain and do damage control.

Generally when people migrate to a certain country, they are expected to adopt that countries principals, not the other way around. And I find it hard to believe the government would have awarded him the knighthood just to piss a certain section of the population off. It was awarded for his literary career, not for his controversial views.

You're preaching to the chorus about integration. I believe you agree to Canada's principles the moment you take that oath BUT if you have a volatile segment of society, it is conducive the unity of a country to be sensitive about potentially disharmonizing issues.

Back
Top Bottom