What's new

Salman Rushdie on Pakistan

^^zeluva : it could've been a political decision to polarize the muslim vote or something. i don't know anything about UK politics but there is possibility of something like that being the motivation.

I have no other principle than pragmatism, but it's a pragmatism includes a free society.

Like I said, either they don't let Muslims into the country or they at least think about the impact of such awards given by literary critics. The people who nominated Rushdie for the prize likely had very little idea about the impact that the award would have. This is where the government should step in and evaluate, or at least explain and do damage control.

please reflect on how crazy the idea of 'don't let in muslims' is. its a false either-or you are setting up.

why do people take him seriously, he has no idea what he's talking about... like a dog barking at a tree...and the queen gave him knighthood, WTF?

I'm not sure why people asserting that Rushdi was given knighthood to 'piss off' a certain community. He has rather successful literary career. Yes, the fatwa helped him to gain popularity among the common people who don't have any interest in literature, but are we now blaming Rushdi for the Fatwa on him? :s

Also Rushdi's literary skill has nothing to do with the video in question. It's his personal opinion, opinion doesn't always rely on facts and it's not possible for Rushdi to know facts as he is not welcome in Pakistan. Seems both Pakistan and Rushdi don't like each other. There are many such cases, Rushdi isn't exclusive.

Those who wondering about his religious view, he is a proclaimed atheist.

I agree with him when he say that there is a cultural airlessness, people aren't allowed to do what they like, segregation of sexes.

I agree with him when he say that there is a cultural airlessness, people aren't allowed to do what they like, segregation of sexes.

So you can say whatever you want to in India? Not having a go at India or anything but this mans a hypocrite. Just remembered the painter who made inappropriate paintings of Hindu Gods and who got exiled quite rightly in my opinion (think he went to some Gulf State). Anyways he got kicked out for offending peoples beliefs, but when India does that its fine, but whenever Pakistan does something similar all of a sudden its real bad, its Pakistanis, they "suck", they are extremists,etc etc.

So you can say whatever you want to in India? Not having a go at India or anything but this mans a hypocrite. Just remembered the painter who made inappropriate paintings of Hindu Gods and who got exiled quite rightly in my opinion (think he went to some Gulf State). Anyways he got kicked out for offending peoples beliefs, but when India does that its fine, but whenever Pakistan does something similar all of a sudden its real bad, its Pakistanis, they "suck", they are extremists,etc etc.

Technically the painter was never 'exiled', rather has been told many times to stay in India(and been assured safety ) by many people high up the political ladder. There were some cases of defamation against him which also been dropped by Supreme Court. It was his decision to abandon Indian citizenship not the other way around.

I'm not going anywhere, i just agree what i stated in my post.

i WiSh he come to PeShaWar. !!

Apparently he doesn't want to. See that's the main point, he didn't like Pakistan for obvious reasons. Now everyone in the world isn't blessed with a fondness to Pakistan.

I watched the video, there's some exaggeration, some truth, some inaccuracies. Well that's about it. It's his personal opinion and he isn't trying to impose it on anyone.

I'm not sure why people asserting that Rushdi was given knighthood to 'piss off' a certain community.

well how would India react when James Laine (who was the center of a major controversy in India for his book "Shivaji") was given a Knighthood for his literature??

I will be waiting for a rational answer

Looks like Knighthood will be seen as the British version of Nobel prize.:lol:

Hez British lackey,thats all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom